Are Republicans against "cancel culture"?

Wanker Bob

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Like last year, when the Dungeons and Dragons folks began changing things up, and separating abilities and alignments from races/species (some were pretty outdated anyways and really hampered the abilities of DMs and/or were uncomfortable for people to play).

There were people outraged that D&D would change things up - things like having 99.9999% of the dark-skinned elves being evil, etc. (never mind the fact that the dark-skinned elves should have been fucking albinos for living underground).

These people did not play D&D (after all, it's the GATEWAY TO SATAN!) and were never going to, and probably wouldn't understand how to play anyways.

But they had to be outraged that a game they despised for years, that they claimed led to devil worship, dared to change a few things up.

revenge of the nerds GIF

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Like last year, when the Dungeons and Dragons folks began changing things up, and separating abilities and alignments from races/species (some were pretty outdated anyways and really hampered the abilities of DMs and/or were uncomfortable for people to play).

There were people outraged that D&D would change things up - things like having 99.9999% of the dark-skinned elves being evil, etc. (never mind the fact that the dark-skinned elves should have been fucking albinos for living underground).

These people did not play D&D (after all, it's the GATEWAY TO SATAN!) and were never going to, and probably wouldn't understand how to play anyways.

But they had to be outraged that a game they despised for years, that they claimed led to devil worship, dared to change a few things up.

Okay, F250 has motivated me to reply to this post. Because I guess I’m a nerd. (I’m definitely not a dumb jock, which I’m not accusing F250 of being, but I sort of consider those to be the yin and yang of youth culture).

I wasn’t aware of those changes. I don’t recall ever involving dark elves in any of our campaigns. D&D has gone through multiple revisions since I last played. But it’s a great game and if I had kids then they could play it with my total approval. Hell, I’d play it today if I could find a game with a good DM. The last time I played was in the late 90’s with a DM who was working on his PhD in microbiology but he finished his dissertation and left to join the corporate world in, I think, L.A. before we ever got to complete the campaign. But it was really interesting and was modeled after the first crusade but that’s probably an explanation to give elsewhere. But we never got past Antioch.

Anyway, my mom was among those who bought into all the hype of D&D leading to Satanism back in the late 70’s/early 80’s. My friends and I would play in our family room and she never once stopped in to observe. But she read all about its evils in her Christian magazines. And she heard the stories about students dying while trying to act it out for real in the tunnels on college campuses.

Not too long ago I was talking to her and I asked her if she realized how foolish it was to believe that. Nope. She still believes it. She even said she talked to someone who believes it too. I told her that was probably someone as uneducated about it as she is. No, no, no she said. So I asked her who it was. And she told me it was some old guy from her (Mennonite) church.

I’m pretty sure she still thinks I’m possessed by a demon. Best case scenario - just one. 

• Haha 1

Loving the D&D talk.  I was introduced to D&D on the long ride back from church camp, I was 12 and due to numbers got separated from my normal youth group buddies and was riding with some slightly older kids.  They explained a bunch of it to me, it sounded awesome and I got home and told my dad all about how I was going to go play D&D with them.

I was categorically forbidden from playing, not because of anything to do with Satanism.  He just said "trust me son, you'll thank me for not letting you get into this hobby once you get to high school." His rule was "no games that use non-standard dice, no card games unless they use a standard pack."

A lot of my childhood was pretty interesting looking back. 

I should amend my above comment about D&D to say that D&D has gone through multiple changes since I first started playing. We were all college grads the last time I played and it had already gone through changes by then. But we were playing the same game, with the same rules, the same Dungeon Master’s Guide, the same Player’s Handbook, and the same Monster Manual from our youth. I still have all those old books, a leather pouch full of dice, all my old lead figurines, many that I painted myself, and a whole file folder full of maps that I drew myself for my own campaigns when I was DM. I even have the old Dungeon Master’s shield which, based from what I’ve seen on Big Bang Theory, is still a thing.

19 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

His rule was "no games that use non-standard dice, no card games unless they use a standard pack."

Sheeeeit.... we weren't even allowed those two elements of worldliness. Any game with dice would have to use the stupid "pop-a-matic" from Trouble, and we had "Rook" cards to avoid the temptation towards poker.