Are Republicans against "cancel culture"?

Wanker Bob

1 minute ago, horn4life said:

The GOP is against "cancel culture" the same way they are for "local control", and love the shit out of the "unborn" babies, and not so fond of the actual babies that turn into children.

We talking white babies or black and brown babies?  You know, that is kind of a big deal to a lot of these folks.

16 minutes ago, tchookem said:
1 hour ago, We’reTexas said:
Freedom fries?!?

The French were not super supportive of the Iraq War in 2003. There was a movement to rebrand french fries as freedom fries. I don't remember if the change was actually made in the Capitol cafeteria.

thats the joke GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Says the former youth pastor: "While the comments I made would certainly seem to indicate that I am racist, I am not.  I have never considered myself to be racist, and in short cannot explain why I made these comments."

Oh, well if he doesn't consider himself racist, then I'm sure it was all just taken out of context...

Spoiler

EwUS7vcWgAQfrZQ?format=jpg&name=large

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, TexLonghorn said:

Says the former youth pastor: "While the comments I made would certainly seem to indicate that I am racist, I am not.  I have never considered myself to be racist, and in short cannot explain why I made these comments."

Oh, well if he doesn't consider himself racist, then I'm sure it was all just taken out of context...

Hide contents

EwUS7vcWgAQfrZQ?format=jpg&name=large

image.jpeg

You know there's a Republican congressman or state senator right now trying to hype himself up to take on "cancel culture" using the Okie that's blaming diabetes for his racism. Just to fuck with some libs.

Edited by aggie08

Seemed like a fair spot for this bit.

I used to watch Magic School Bus with the children and I think it was already repeats then, so I'm fuzzy on the years when it aired 'new.' They loved that show and the corresponding books were checked out of the library over and over. I saw Ms. Frizzle was trending on twitter and went to check out what was the buzz. Apparently there is a new release and Ms. Frizzle looks a lot different and the social media are having themselves a day over what they are calling, "corporate whitewashing." It's true, a lot of the blandness these days doesn't seem to reflect the reality we see around us, does it? People come in all shapes and sizes. I don't doubt that it's about money, but it definitely touched a nerve.

Anyway, this may be one of the new 'cancel' like topics if it gains some steam....I just picked a few out of hundreds of tweets about it so don't shoot the messenger.

43 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Seemed like a fair spot for this bit.

I used to watch Magic School Bus with the children and I think it was already repeats then, so I'm fuzzy on the years when it aired 'new.' They loved that show and the corresponding books were checked out of the library over and over. I saw Ms. Frizzle was trending on twitter and went to check out what was the buzz. Apparently there is a new release and Ms. Frizzle looks a lot different and the social media are having themselves a day over what they are calling, "corporate whitewashing." It's true, a lot of the blandness these days doesn't seem to reflect the reality we see around us, does it? People come in all shapes and sizes. I don't doubt that it's about money, but it definitely touched a nerve.

Anyway, this may be one of the new 'cancel' like topics if it gains some steam....I just picked a few out of hundreds of tweets about it so don't shoot the messenger.

TBH, this concerns me about as much as the Dr. Seuss stuff, which is to say very little.   

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

TBH, this concerns me about as much as the Dr. Seuss stuff, which is to say very little.   

No doubt. The majority of our population seems to be constantly looking around for shit to get upset about. It must be exhausting. 

People live to be outraged by something. Now that Trump is gone, they'll find dumb things like an f'ing cartoon reboot's animations to get outraged about. I'll occasionally check the Twitter trending section every couple of days which I like to think of as "what are people outraged about today". There's sometimes a good question of which side's outrage is more ridiculous on a certain day. 

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

People live to be outraged by something. Now that Trump is gone, they'll find dumb things like an f'ing cartoon reboot's animations to get outraged about. I'll occasionally check the Twitter trending section every couple of days which I like to think of as "what are people outraged about today". There's sometimes a good question of which side's outrage is more ridiculous on a certain day. 

This. It's also why I posted it. I'll ask myself is this coming from a public that cannot find other forms of amusement (sports and movies and travel have been in disarray due to COVID) or are looking for trouble or is this coming from the various folks running our society that are misdirecting our attention? I would argue that it is a little of both but it also takes on a life of its own. Granted, I'm amplifying it here, which doesn't help, but it is something to put into perspective and examine from a variety of angles. From the outside, it's as @DigglerontheHoofsays, but being aware of it can keep one in the loop, so to speak.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, trauma babe said:

My favorite Magic School Bus theory is that Ms. Frizzle is actually Arnold from the future and post-HRT transition. The gayer the theory, the better

Not gay, but an entertaining conspiracy theory about a '90s PBS cartoon: 

My son loves Caillou, but some things about the show always bothered me. My theory tries to make sense of those things. Caillou is dead.

As a four year old, Caillou was given the horrifying diagnosis of terminal cancer. His chemo treatments left him with the difficult side effect of baldness. His parents, knowing his time was short, do everything they can to make his life as fulfilled as possible. They bring him on different adventures and let him have lots of time with friends and family. His parents, who want him to be as happy as possible, generally let him get away with whatever he wants. The result is that Caillou appears to be a whiney brat, but the parents are aware that there is no point to correcting the behavior. Eventually, Caillou passes away.

Caillou loved his stuffed animals, and they loved him. His mother can't bring herself to empty Caillou's room, so she leaves it (and the stuffed animals) as they were when he was still alive. The stuffed animals, who are portrayed as live action, loved Caillou and miss him dearly. They can't grasp the idea of Caillou's death; it's a concept foreign to stuffed animals. They just know that he's gone. They imagine him exploring the zoo, arguing with his little sister, and playing with them. In their thoughts, he is perpetually the same way they saw him last: a four year old, bald child. Their thoughts of Caillou aren't portrayed in live action. Instead, his adventures are in cartoon form, surrounded by a white, cloudy frame. The stuffed animals were so desperate to see Caillou again that they do the only thing they can think of to bring him back: they pretend he never left.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Not only are they not against cancel culture, but they're making it a matter of public policy to cancel any effort towards giving a full telling of the black experience in America. From school boards banning the 1619 project or banning efforts at teaching on subjects related to black people. It's clear that overt anti-blackness is once again in vogue with the republican party. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/20/2021 at 11:02 AM, mdmost said:

This is just the stupid "both sides" argument applied to the "cancel culture" label. Willingly removing six books from publication because of blatantly racist characters appropriate at the time but horribly offensive now isn't 'cancel culture from the left,' it's very simply "now that we know better, we do better." Stomping your feet and refusing to buy Dixie Chicks merch and making it perfectly clear that you're doing so because they oppose the war and your god-president is very much cancel culture. And they're not the same thing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Not only are they not against cancel culture, but they're making it a matter of public policy to cancel any effort towards giving a full telling of the black experience in America. From school boards banning the 1619 project or banning efforts at teaching on subjects related to black people. It's clear that overt anti-blackness is once again in vogue with the republican party. 

She has more awards than the entire journalism departments of some very fine universities:

On 3/21/2021 at 4:42 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Not gay, but an entertaining conspiracy theory about a '90s PBS cartoon: 

You forgot one of the biggest tells about that conspiracy theory - the grandma is narrating everything.

Because Caillou died when Rosey was a little girl, the grandma is filling an older Rosey in on all of the things that her big brother did, that she didn't remember.

Other people claim it's the mom narrating the stories in her old age, telling Rosey and/or Rosey's kids about him.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/20/2021 at 11:02 AM, mdmost said:

Like last year, when the Dungeons and Dragons folks began changing things up, and separating abilities and alignments from races/species (some were pretty outdated anyways and really hampered the abilities of DMs and/or were uncomfortable for people to play).

There were people outraged that D&D would change things up - things like having 99.9999% of the dark-skinned elves being evil, etc. (never mind the fact that the dark-skinned elves should have been fucking albinos for living underground).

These people did not play D&D (after all, it's the GATEWAY TO SATAN!) and were never going to, and probably wouldn't understand how to play anyways.

But they had to be outraged that a game they despised for years, that they claimed led to devil worship, dared to change a few things up.

• Hook 'Em 1