2021 Seattle Mariners

MC Fresh Breath

SEATTLE, Wash. — Seattle Mariners Executive Vice President & General Manager of Baseball Operations Jerry Dipoto announced today the following roster moves:
Sean Doolittle, LHP, claimed off waivers from Cincinnati.
Keynan Middleton, RHP, designated for assignment.
The Mariners Major League, 40-man, roster remains full at 40-players.
Doolittle, 34, is 3–1 with a 4.46 ERA (19 ER, 38.1 IP) with 18 walks and 41 strikeouts in 45 games with the Reds this season. He has limited left-handed hitters to a .229 batting average this season, compared to a .300 batting average against right-handed batters. He was designated for assignment by Cincinnati on Aug. 24.
Doolittle has made 20 career post-season appearances, pitching in the playoffs in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017 and 2019. During the Nationals 2019 World Series run, he made 9 post-season appearances and allowed only 2 earned runs in 10.1 innings (1.74 ERA). He made 3 scoreless World Series appearances in 2019 and recorded the save in Game 1. Overall, he holds a 2.42 ERA (6 ER, 22.1 IP) with 3 walks and 23 strikeouts in 20 post-season appearances, while limiting opponents to a .213 batting average against.
Since making his debut in 2012, Doolittle ranks 10th among all active left-handers with 446 career relief appearances. Overall, he is a veteran of 10 Major League seasons with Oakland (2012–17), Washington (2017–20) and Cincinnati (2021), going 26–24 with a 3.19 ERA (154 ER, 434.0 IP) with 98 walks and 504 strikeouts. He made his Major League debut with Oakland on June 5, 2012 vs. Texas.
Middleton, 27, was optioned to Triple-A Tacoma on Aug. 25. He is 1–2 with 4 saves and a 4.94 ERA (17 ER, 31.0 IP) in 31 relief appearances and 1 start this season. He has 19 walks and 24 strikeouts, allowing just a 1.4% home run rate with the Mariners this season.
The right-hander was originally selected by the Angels in the third round of the of the 2013 MLB First-Year Player Draft out of Lane Community College (OR). He made his Major League debut with the Angels on May 5, 2017 vs. Houston. Overall, he has appeared in parts of 5 Major League seasons with the Angels (2017–20) and Mariners (2021), going 7–4 with 13 saves and a 3.84 ERA (54 ER, 126.2 IP) with 59 walks and 120 strikeouts.

https://marinersblog.mlblogs.com/mariners-claim-lhp-sean-doolittle-off-waivers-from-cincinnati-3bba69ac85ee

That WAS fun, so there you bunch of grumpies.

Biff, your boy Jarred:

Seags with what wound up being the game winner:

Mr. Bauers with a real game saver:

@shadow_operative2.0 I saw the score of your game and the first time I'll admit I thought I saw it very incorrectly.  Congrats.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I would obviously be thrilled to be wrong.  But the Mariners just lost 3/4 at home to the Royals.  In one of those games they had 30 LOB.  30.   Not good, bob.   I will do as I always do and try to take joy from individual moments and player development (Kelenic's HR yesterday was great to see).  If the games are even close it would be an improvement against Houston.

There's no good thread to put this in, so putting it on this one, since this is maybe the only thread where I would maybe be 'missed.'

Reading this book:

spacer.png

Some summaries posted elsewhere:

Newport suggests setting aside a period of time for rapid transformation. He calls this "the digital declutter process". "Much like decluttering your house," he explains, "this lifestyle experiment provides a reset for your digital life by clearing away distracting tools and compulsive habits that may have accumulated haphazardly over time and replacing them with a much more intentional set of behaviours, optimised, in proper minimalist fashion, to support your values instead of subverting them."
"In my experience, gradually changing your habits one at a time doesn’t work well — the engineered attraction of the attention economy, combined with the friction of convenience, will diminish your inertia until you backslide toward where you started."

How to declutter your digital life
Step one: "Put aside a 30-day period during which you will take a break from optional technologies in your life."
The first step of the digital declutter process is to define which technologies fall into this "optional" category. Newport defines "technologies" as "apps, websites, and related digital tools that are delivered through a computer screen or a mobile phone and are meant to either entertain, inform, or connect you." Optional technologies are those that you can go without for 30 days without "harm[ing] or significantly disrupt[ing] the daily operation of your professional or personal life". This means cutting out your daily Instagram updates or mindless Facebook scrolling, rather than shutting down your vital work email.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/digital-decluttering-how-to

So, bad timing it seems, but I'm going to give it a go.  Still going to watch the Mariners, and of course root for them.  And I may not go full bore--may still weigh in here every once in a while. Afterall, I'm not giving up baseball.  But definitely going to trim out most Surly time for the next 30 days.  See you all then, for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1