2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texfan11 said:

I wonder how many tip balls we sent over the net tonight...

Yeah, that was just a microcosm.  Shit set, tip, slow block, set, match.

Shook should not be having this shitty a match at this point in her career.  She's not the answer, and I think the coaching is suspect.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I’m not used to seeing Texas volleyball looking like this past the halfway point of the season 

Ehhh if IIRC, there were quite a few road games last year that we should have lost but barely won in 5. Even late in the season

Edited by texfan11

6 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I’m not used to seeing Texas volleyball looking like this past the halfway point of the season 

It's not really surprising. Maybe not this bad but when you play this many young players there's going to be ups and down. 

We need Yazzie in the worst way because outside of White (who can also be inconsistent) I don't have much faith in any of the other pins. Luketic and Eggleston can be effective at times but they also do shit every match where you say these two aren't ready at all. 

We need White and Johnson to play better on the road because it's been obvious for a couple weeks now that the youngsters are going to be inconsistent at best on the road. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

Ehhh if IIRC, there were quite a few road games last year that we should have lost but barely won in 5

We weren't that great last year either, but we had a little leadership from Chiaka and swept the conference at least.

I think this Salima theory has some legs.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Really miss Chloe Collins....everyone ragged on her 5'7 height...but she could locate the ball and put it where the hitters needed it...even with out-of-system passing.  We went to the National Championship match her last 2 years even with opponents hitting over her block...that's how good the setting was.

Yes, passing was shitastic last year but it's been like that every year....but look at the drop-off Ebony and Micaya had last year because the setting was terrible.  Two 1st-team All-Americans that get demoted because their numbers suck because they had to tip sooo much.

Overall this year, serve-receive passing actually hasn't been that bad but setting still sucks.  Until we get a setting coach or a setter transfer comes in, this team will never succeed with Shook at the helm.

Edited by TexasDPT
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Wasn’t she supposedly a good recruiter too?

Does this matter at Texas? Like, we aren't Nebraska but we get pretty much whoever we want.  We aren't lacking for talent, it's just poorly coached. 

I mean, I will point the finger at Elliot all day long because he's the guy in charge, but setting has taken a HUGE step backwards with Tonya.  It's time for her to go.  Can we get some ex-coach on as an analyst or something to work on defense/passing?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

Does this matter at Texas? Like, we aren't Nebraska but we get pretty much whoever we want.  We aren't lacking for talent, it's just poorly coached. 

I mean, I will point the finger at Elliot all day long because he's the guy in charge, but setting has taken a HUGE step backwards with Tonya.  It's time for her to go.  Can we get some ex-coach on as an analyst or something to work on defense/passing?

My understanding is that Tonya works with the Outside hitters, while Erik works with the MB blocking, back row defenders, and overall defensive schemes/scouting reports.  Jerritt runs the overall offensive scheme, and I believe setter coaching duties were deferred back to him when Salima Rockwell returned to Penn State.

With Salima in charge of setting, players like Engle, Kocher, Allison, Dalton (when she physically able to) and Collins developed into pretty good setters.  Some may argue that Hannah was a terrible setter, but I think a lot of that had to with the high-jumping players at the time who liked hitting high, slow balls like Haley, Bailey, and Khat.  Even when Salima left Collins' Jr year, she was coached by Evan Sanders (a setter coach), who was a volunteer assistant at the time (and now an Asst. Coach at Colorado).  By her senior season, Chloe already knew what system Elliott wanted to run and was comfortable doing it without needing much technical guidance.

Unfortunately, we are now seeing what the setting looks like without a coach with technical setting experience.  I really do think Shook has the talent, but she appears to be the type of player that NEEDS someone consistently coaching her up.  SPVB (her club) is known to put out great setters because they are technically drilled and get an obscene amount of reps with their intense training...literally, setters coming out of that club are often called 'SPRI robots'...but it's obvious Shook's training hasn't translated well to the college game.

Even though it seems we get whoever we want (because we're Texas), that wasn't the case when Jim Moore took over for Mick Haley in the late 90's.  Texas Volleyball was abysmal during the Moore years and it wasn't until several years after Elliott arrived that the program began to prosper again with his recruiting classes.

But I do agree that Elliott needs to rethink about upgrading his current staff with individuals who can coach setting and improve the defense and ball-control/passing...because those continue to be areas of weakness.

• Like 2

This may be shaping up to be a real disappointing season in terms of not dominating the B12 and going far in post-season.  I suppose if you are Elliott, you might not think much needs changing, but as TexasDPT points out, this may be the first season that there are no remnants of Salima's coaching.  So this may be a big test for Elliott.

15-11 blOwU.