2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

Shook is still the worst setter on a top 25 team....but Texas comes out with a win because of their athleticism.

Interesting to see that they pulled Logan out of serve-receive and actually had Yaazie in the passing lanes instead of her...maybe they want Logan to just focus on hitting/blocking/serving, but it's pretty disappointing (and telling) that her passing hasn't improved, especially since Logan came in as a true 6-rotation, passing OH from HS/club/USA Youth & Junior NTs. 

But hitters have to continue to adjust to Shook's set, instead of just taking rips at the ball. 

Unfortunately, this Texas team will go only as far as Shook's setting takes them. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

Texas "should" win out, but you never know with this team....

Not sure it really matters at this point. We will win the Big 12 regardless and will probably only host the first two matches like last year. 

I made this point a couple nights ago. Elliott shouldn’t be afraid to experiment with different things. Maybe that’s what they were doing with Yazzie on serve receive. 

Barring a complete collapse where we lose a few more matches I think we know where we are going to be projected. 

Edited by texasstrong12

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Bizarre. Even the block came alive. 

I almost buy the theory that the team just low-key hates her setting. 

Good setting keeps the other team scrambling and out of system.  A lot of those blocks are out of system sets by TCU or tight sets that trap the hitters against the block.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Bizarre. Even the block came alive. 

I almost buy the theory that the team just low-key hates her setting. 

Ha!  I've thought the same thing before...they like Shook as a person, but hate her setting.  

Imagine taking off for your approach and constantly having to adjust to where the set is going instead of just taking a rip on the ball.  The players are frustrated.  Texas has the bangers that can go up and get a kill, as long as the ball is at the right place.

Edited by TexasDPT

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

We hit better in the last two sets than in weeks or even months. 

Agreed.

I really liked seeing the well-located sets from Gabriel...she kinda reminded me of seeing Chloe Collins setting out there. 

Texas may give up the blocking with Jhenna in the front row, but if players like Butler, Yaazie, and Eggleston are consistently taking hard rips on the ball with the better setting, I'd say Elliott should take a chance on her.

Edited by TexasDPT

34 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

We hit better in the last two sets than in weeks or even months. 

Night and day.  I don't recall the exact numbers but late in the 4th set, the LHN commentators said the hitting % was below .200 with Shook and .440-something with Gabriel in the game.

Just watched the replay and here is what I noticed:

setting - IMO for 1.5 sets Shook was actually setting quite well by getting hands on passes she would typically bump set and spreading out her sets nicely. Obviously, Shooks accuracy went downhill and the Texas hitting pct. while she was in was .162 vs. Gabriel’s .452 (at 17-13 in the 3rd). Unfortunately I still think Gabriel is too short to run a 5-1, and we will get completely burned against taller/better/quicker outsides and middles (i.e. Stanford, Nebraska, Minnesota, Florida, etc.) + our defense is not good enough to pick up the slack.

I have always really liked the rotation where Yazzie stays outside and Eggleston hits from the right side, we seem to score a lot of side out points with this strategy.

Also, for once I feel like missed serves were not a major part of the outcome tonight.

12 hours ago, texfan11 said:

Just watched the replay and here is what I noticed:

setting - IMO for 1.5 sets Shook was actually setting quite well by getting hands on passes she would typically bump set and spreading out her sets nicely. Obviously, Shooks accuracy went downhill and the Texas hitting pct. while she was in was .162 vs. Gabriel’s .452 (at 17-13 in the 3rd). Unfortunately I still think Gabriel is too short to run a 5-1, and we will get completely burned against taller/better/quicker outsides and middles (i.e. Stanford, Nebraska, Minnesota, Florida, etc.) + our defense is not good enough to pick up the slack.

I have always really liked the rotation where Yazzie stays outside and Eggleston hits from the right side, we seem to score a lot of side out points with this strategy.

Also, for once I feel like missed serves were not a major part of the outcome tonight.

Agreed. I can deal with Elliott staple of leading a below average defensive team when we serve & set well. 

What's more important?  Having a 6-1 setter that puts up a solid block for 3 rotations but dishes out crappy sets in almost every rotation, or having a smaller setter that puts up a weak block for 3 rotations but can give consistent, well-located sets EVERY rotation?

I'd personally go with the latter, and have the team work on defensive adjustments behind the weaker block.  

Also, people criticized Collins for her height, but she was able to lead Texas to 2 National Championship matches her JR and SR seasons.  Not saying Jhenna can replicate those results, but even with limited playing time at setter, her location and tempo IS better and more consistent than what Shook has shown this year and last.  

It all comes down to which setter puts the team (and ball) in a better position to win.  I personally just don't think Shook has it in her.

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

If Shook can't handle it, bench her.  Otherwise, run a 6-2 and figure it the fuck out. 

He's experimented with a 6-2 in past seasons. And this year he doesn't even try it when it's clear to most that it could benefit the team. Strange.

On 11/2/2018 at 6:38 AM, WJC88 said:

He's experimented with a 6-2 in past seasons. And this year he doesn't even try it when it's clear to most that it could benefit the team. Strange.

We don’t have enough subs to run a 6-2 I don’t think. I still wish he would try a 5-2, but Logan would have to stay in and play back row.

who do y’all think gets the start on Wednesday? I think Elliot will go back to Shook. I like Gabriel better, but I dont know if he is at the point of completely benching Shook. 

16 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

Badgers just lost today, so that probably moves Texas ahead of them.  

For Texas to host, Texas needs to win the rest of its games and Illinois would have to lose a couple of games.

We need to take care of business.  Purdue could do us a huge favor and win both of those for us, k thanks.

Illinois still has tough matches like: PSU, @ Michigan State, Purdue. 

Wisky still has tough matches like: Purdue, @ Ohio State and @ PSU.

On 11/4/2018 at 3:57 PM, texfan11 said:

We don’t have enough subs to run a 6-2 I don’t think. I still wish he would try a 5-2, but Logan would have to stay in and play back row.

who do y’all think gets the start on Wednesday? I think Elliot will go back to Shook. I like Gabriel better, but I dont know if he is at the point of completely benching Shook. 

With a little shuffling of the lineup, Gabriel could sub in back row in place of Hahn or Rounsaville.  That would make the substitutions a non-issue without disrupting the substitution pattern too much.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, texfan11 said:

I do think he goes back to Shook.

I'm also perfectly okay with Logan playing all 6 rotations.  She did fine when she was forced to due to injuries.  We need to develop 6 rotation OHs.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I'm also perfectly okay with Logan playing all 6 rotations.  She did fine when she was forced to due to injuries.  We need to develop 6 rotation OHs.

Agreed. I think that Elliot's goal for the rest of the conference schedule should be to let Logan gain experience playing all 6 rotations, even if she is struggling a little. If needed, a DS can sub in if it gets to be a closer match.

8 hours ago, texfan11 said:

Agreed. I think that Elliot's goal for the rest of the conference schedule should be to let Logan gain experience playing all 6 rotations, even if she is struggling a little. If needed, a DS can sub in if it gets to be a closer match.

Logan SHOULD have been playing all 6 rotations after she showed she was capable of doing so (when Autumn was injured in the home ISU match).  

We know what we are going to get with Autumn as a DS...but come tournament time, there will be rotations when a back row attack will be needed, especially when teams are camping out on Micaya when she is front row.  Or situations where games are tight and we run out of substitutions (like at Stanford, when Autumn had to play front row since Elliott ran out of subs....that still pisses me off). 

Elliott should have developed Logan's back-row play during conference play, but I don't think he's going to change anything with only 5 conference games left.  

Even during the 2012 Title run, he had Eckerman playing back row, until she became a liability and then subbed in Dalton...but he's not doing that with Logan.  And unfortunately, I think that decision is going to come back and bite him in the ass.

I've watched several of Nebraska's matches this year and even though I think Lexi has cost them some matches with her back row defense, there's no denying that her overall passing and ball control have improved....and having her attacking from the back row has bailed them out of matches. 

• Like 2

All I have to say is that Autumn and Claire must consistently show out in practice because they suck during live games.  

Logan should be playing in the back row instead of Autumn, and Jhenna should have been playing instead of Claire...those two freshmen along with Petersen are just gamers. 

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, it's dramatic, but  . . . .

They needed to make a change. Even if Gabriel isn't the answer the staff knows to go and get a setter. 

I'll be surprised if Shook is back next year. This seems like Elliott has finally decided it's time to go in a different direction.