2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

1 minute ago, TexasDPT said:

Freshman wall or getting what's made her successful coached out of her???

I had assumed freshman wall, but  . . . .

I dunno.  It seemed like she has never gotten to some of the stuff Cat did.  However, when she got a hand on it, it was passed pretty well.  She still passes those she gets squarely under/behind pretty well, but lately hits a lot of them while out of control with out of control passes.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I had assumed freshman wall, but  . . . .

and I only say that tongue-in-cheek because Cat McCoy was a spectacular digger when she first came in...she just had uncanny instincts of where a ball would land and get to it before it hit the ground...but I always felt that skill diminished over her playing years....

1 minute ago, TexasDPT said:

and I only say that tongue-in-cheek because Cat McCoy was a spectacular digger when she first came in...she just had uncanny instincts of where a ball would land and get to it before it hit the ground...but I always felt that skill diminished over her playing years....

Haha ok.  As I said, it just seems like she's missing more digs than she was.

I didn't get to see either of the last 2 matches, however, based on the what I read here and seen in previous matches, Shook just isn't mentally tough enough.  She seems to have plenty of physical ability, but she gets rattled to easily and starts to play not to make mistakes instead of aggressive and freely. And is the case in most sports when you go into that mode things typically turn to shit.

The setter has to be your mentally toughest and fiercest competitor. While hitting and passing require plenty of technical skill, there is also quite a bit of instinctual reacting.  Setters have to be able to think fast and make good decisions under pressure, just like QBs and point guards. I've seen pretty good setters just lose it and get the doubles like a golfer gets the shanks.

I wondered about Shook when she decided to stay home before her freshman year and play club ball. Contrast that with Eggleston, whom looks to be a future star.

There are plenty of problems with this team right now, youth, passing, blocking, serving,  but these things can and likely will improve. Unfortunately, I'm not sure setting will. The stage might just be too big for her. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

I didn't get to see either of the last 2 matches, however, based on the what I read here and seen in previous matches, Shook just isn't mentally tough enough.  She seems to have plenty of physical ability, but she gets rattled to easily and starts to play not to make mistakes instead of aggressive and freely. And is the case in most sports when you go into that mode things typically turn to shit.

The setter has to be your mentally toughest and fiercest competitor. While hitting and passing require plenty of technical skill, there is also quite a bit of instinctual reacting.  Setters have to be able to think fast and make good decisions under pressure, just like QBs and point guards. I've seen pretty good setters just lose it and get the doubles like a golfer gets the shanks.

I wondered about Shook when she decided to stay home before her freshman year and play club ball. Contrast that with Eggleston, whom looks to be a future star.

There are plenty of problems with this team right now, youth, passing, blocking, serving,  but these things can and likely will improve. Unfortunately, I'm not sure setting will. The stage might just be too big for her. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Good points, all.  And, it's probably worth noting in keeping with your post, that Shook has good games and bad games.  There isn't a lot of consistency or seeming growth.  She is a bit better than last year, but so is the passing, and that's about all you can say.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

K-State took out KU last night. 

Big 12 title hopes still alive, as KU still has to come to Austin.

I cant' wait.  That said, this is not a team that can afford to look ahead.  They've shown they can beat high quality opponents and lose to strictly pedestrian ones.

The luxury Elliott has moving forward is we probably won't host past the first 2 rounds and we don't have to worry about losing the Big 12. Kansas is still going to end up with at least 4 or 5 losses in the Big 12. 

Elliott should be willing to experiment and try some things. 

Edited by texasstrong12