2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

They needed to make a change. Even if Gabriel isn't the answer the staff knows to go and get a setter. 

I'll be surprised if Shook is back next year. This seems like Elliott has finally decided it's time to go in a different direction. 

Probably right.  I've been kind of thinking it if not advocating it, but if it comes to pass, it's rather sad.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Gabriel has some limitations because of her size but she's a better setter than Shook. Much better location. 

Players are just taking rips on the ball....probably surprised that they don't have to make any adjustment....and overall team energy just looks better!

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Honestly just looks like a new team.  We have Incredible hitters and now finally they can get good sets to do what they do best. I don’t think the sacrifice in height at setter will matter all that much 

Passing/Ball control has improved from last year and I just thought that we needed consistent setting to play better....now we have that!  

I'd rather take our chances with good setting and let the hitters do what they do best...and the chips will fall where they fall with Jhenna's blocking.

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Shook is done at Texas.  

If true, I think Elliott really needs to evaluate the type of setter that will be successful here at Texas and bring her in as a transfer.  

Jhenna's great, but I don't think she is a long-term solution to the setter position when there are TALLER setters out there with a similar or better skill sets...just gotta find one that will mesh well with the current nucleus of girls.

We have 6'1 setter Naomi Cabello coming in with the class of 2020, so Jerritt needs a place holder for the 2019 season with Jhenna backing her up.

Someone we might want to keep an eye out for is 5'11 Jr Norene Iosia who is the starting setter at Hawaii and former HS/Club teammate of Yaazie.  Norene played for the USA WJNT and is the sister of 2021 incoming Libero recruit Kalani Iosia.  She is currently having to share setting duties at Hawaii b/c she's also the Opposite when she is in the front row, since Hawaii's pin hitters suck this year.   Hawaii is in rebuilding mode after Dave Shoji retired 2 years ago and there are rumors that she is looking to transfer upon completion of this season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

YBG just destroyed that ball!

Yes she did! I love that sound when she unloads on a ball.

How does she compare in terms of heavy arms in program history? I know Faucette had a heavy arm. I'm not as familiar with players prior to 2006. Did Sance hit a heavy ball?

Even though overall ball control wasn't as strong in this match, Jhenna's setting is steadily improving...especially setting to the middles with Brionne hitting over .400 and Morgan hitting over .800.   I've been really impressed with how well Jhenna is connecting with the middle hitters... Shook won't even attempt the sets Jhenna is putting up to the middles because she usually whiffs on them. 

Claire Hahn needs to step up her game because teams are really going to start going after her when she's playing defense behind Jhenna's block.  Unfortunately, there is no one else on the bench that can play right back defense and Hahn tends to fold under pressure. 

I'm betting Shook has already mentally checked out and planning her transfer... she was the #6 recruit in her class and just got replaced by a walk-on DS player who has the team hitting  close to .400 in the sets she has started as setter.  The writing is on the wall.  And if Shook does get subbed into the match for whatever reason, I predict it's not going to be pretty.  

Edited by TexasDPT

I'm pretty sure Jerritt will be giving Jhenna a scholarship after this season.  

I still think he needs to bring in a transfer setter to either quarterback the team or to back-up Jhenna.  I personally would prefer the former (especially if she is taller and can provide the same setting consistency), so Jhenna can replace Claire on the court and still be a secondary setter on the court.

I foresee Logan and Micaya playing every rotation next year and Autumn only rotating in if either struggles in the back row.  

The middles should be fine with an experienced Butler and a red-shirted O'Neal.  Depth may be a problem if Orie decides to transfer, so incoming FR Molly Phillips may need to be ready to play because I don't see Westerlund seeing the court. 

I'd like to see Katarina focus on her arm strength in the off-season and become a more terminal hitter on the right pin.  If not, Skylar Fields will be seeing the court over her. 

And Petersen will own the Libero position until she graduates. 

• Like 1

We have been wholly meh all season long and still will probably end up the #5 seed by the end of the season.  Possibly (POSSIBLY!) #4 if Illinois takes another loss and we win out.

However, if everything holds, it would be cool to be sent to Champagne.  That's not a program we have played very recently, compared to Minnesota, BYU or Stanford.  We haven't played the Illini since 2013.