2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

2 resume wins on a neutral court against #18 Oregon and #7 Florida. Without one of our best players in Yazzie. 

Impressive. 

If we can split with Tree and win the rest of the non-con, should be a top 4 as we should plow through the Big 12 with 1 or 0 losses 

• Like 1

Addition by subtraction with Lexi...if she and her dad were that much of problem last year, glad they are gone!

Logan stepped up with her serving and was swinging more freely by the end of the match.

Kat is a smart hitter as is Micaya.

Morgan and Brionne are just going to get better with their blocking.

Shook...she had moments where I saw improvement, but last year's version crept up during the match.   Unfortunately, we are going to live or die by her setting...

7 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Addition by subtraction with Lexi...if she and her dad were that much of problem last year, glad they are gone!

Logan stepped up with her serving and was swinging more freely by the end of the match.

Kat is a smart hitter as is Micaya.

Morgan and Brionne are just going to get better with their blocking.

Shook...she had moments where I saw improvement, but last year's version crept up during the match.   Unfortunately, we are going to live or die by her setting...

We should only get better as the season progresses. We're playing a lot of young players right now. 

My thoughts so far. 

1) I hate to say it because I loved Cat but I think we upgraded at libero. Petersen won't make the wow plays that Cat made but she looks to be much more consistent in serve receive/passing. Petersen is going to end up being one of the most important additions on this roster. 

2) Luketic is limited athletically but is a high IQ player. Like Petersen she's not going to have many "wow" moments but she's also rarely going to make mistakes. 

3) I think we probably have the best middles in college volleyball with Butler and Johnson. It might not show in the box score but they had a huge impact today. Just from a blocking perspective I would be surprised if there's any team better in the middle. We need to set Butler more out of the middle but I think that's more of Shook problem than anything. 

4) White is good. That's not something we didn't already know. I do think she's improved defensively. 2 matches in she doesn't seem like nearly as big a liability in serve receive. 

5) Eggleston struggled some today but that's expected from a FR that reclassified. She will get better as the season progresses and I think she can be a weapon at the service line. 

6) This season comes down to Shook. When she's setting well we can beat anybody. I hope she continues to develop chemistry with Butler because when that connection is working there's nothing you can do to stop it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

My thoughts so far. 

1) I hate to say it because I loved Cat but I think we upgraded at libero. Petersen won't make the wow plays that Cat made but she looks to be much more consistent in serve receive/passing. Petersen is going to end up being one of the most important additions on this roster. 

2) Luketic is limited athletically but is a high IQ player. Like Petersen she's not going to have many "wow" moments but she's also rarely going to make mistakes. 

3) I think we probably have the best middles in college volleyball with Butler and Johnson. It might not show in the box score but they had a huge impact today. Just from a blocking perspective I would be surprised if there's any team better in the middle. We need to set Butler more out of the middle but I think that's more of Shook problem than anything. 

4) White is good. That's not something we didn't already know. I do think she's improved defensively. 2 matches in she doesn't seem like nearly as big a liability in serve receive. 

5) Eggleston struggled some today but that's expected from a FR that reclassified. She will get better as the season progresses and I think she can be a weapon at the service line. 

6) This season comes down to Shook. When she's setting well we can beat anybody. I hope she continues to develop chemistry with Butler because when that connection is working there's nothing you can do to stop it. 

Yeah, Shook had a few low, quick sets to the middle that Brionne/MoJo slammed that looked pretty nifty.  Then I realized Brionne in particular was short-arming them.  They need to be higher.  The slide seems almost non-existent.

I can't quite tell if Micaya is liking/hating the sets she's getting, or just trying to be more varied.  I think I would like to see her unleash more often than  she is.  Also, i noticed that Shook bumped a lot of sets.  The result wasn't awful, but they seemed like things she could have gotten her hands on and been more effective with.

• Like 1