2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

41 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Elliott needs to let Logan gain experience in the back row by letting her play there instead of Rounsaville.  

And Jhenna needs to play in Hahn’s spot.

Neither of those DS’s are putting up decent dig numbers or passing consistently enough to be in the starting lineup IMO. 

I really want to like Shook but she is the weakest setter on a top 10 team.  Her out-of-system setting needs lots of work. Unfortunately, we have no other options at that position...unless Elliott decides to pick up a transfer setter in the off-season. 

Try out Jhenna at S. Other womp, Naomi Cabello still 2 years away 

Also pointed out on the VT thread is we often start four freshmen and are the youngest "elite" team.  I think we all know that intellectually, but I certainly tend to lose sight of it.  We probably have the most capacity for development over the season.  I honestly don't think I saw a whole lot of development last year, but we weren't as young.  Shook probably improved some, I think Sun got worn out and deteriorated.

Saw the High Point match and it was a really rough match for Shook. White and Rounsville struggled with passing in the first set but stabilized in the next two (though Hahn and Petersen did OK). My feeling is that in the past the so-so passes would turn into so-so setting or the passes would be better'd by the setter (Collins, Allison, Kocher). Unfortunately, Shook makes some of the average passes worse. Shook also bump sets many balls even when they're passed within three steps of her starting position.

Good thing I saw was that Shook was aggressive in getting Butler involved. Block also sent many balls back, explaining why High Point had more digs and attacks.

9 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Baylor beat Wiscy in 4 in Waco. 

Having skimmed the VT thread, as noted above, the UW people thought that was far and away their best game this year, and apparently the hitters that looked almost infallible have been extremely fallible at other times.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Kentucky takes set 1.  Not what I was looking for tonight.

I don't think we're as mentally weak as we have been in past years, probably just youth.

Youth definitely in the front row with Logan, Brionne, and Luketic.

But back row of Autumn and Hahn is still weak....they can't read hitters and are still too inconsistent with serve-receive.