Home Addition - Dallas

Just bought a flip in "North Lake Highlands" that we intend to keep for a long time, but the garage situation desperately needs an overhaul. It's a 2-car that is oriented transversely on the side of the house for curb aesthetic, but the single-lane driveway doesn't offer much maneuvering room to park both vehicles; my wife (no pics) will likely take out the neighbor's retaining wall on her first attempt. I also want a 3rd stall.

The desired outcome would be to functionally rotate the garage 90 degrees so it opens to the street, add 3rd stall inline with existing driveway, and widen driveway (at least partially) to access the first two stalls. Based on my non-expert review of the lot survey and existing structure, this should be doable if I'm willing to sacrifice some of my front yard. And as a bonus, to simplify the required roofline revision, I'd likely gain ~160sf for an office or expanded living area ahead of the 3rd car. Given the absurdity of construction materials and services right now, this is probably a project for next year or beyond, but trying to do a little due diligence up front.

Does this seem reasonable, or am I an idoit who just bought a shitty house? What can I expect this to cost, and where would I start the process (any specific DFW recs?)? Thanks in advance.

Edited by SuperSport

54 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Screenshot of Google Maps & delete the street name?

MS Paint the "now" version vs. the "what I want"?

image.jpeg.3b3e8535cc5c5575dd854a6841c5fdf3.jpeg

The roof layout/structure is my biggest concern.

43 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I once lived in a neighborhood that had deed restrictions prohibiting garages that faced the front.  You might want to check that first.

Crossed my mind, but there are a few houses in the ‘hood with forward-facing garages. Is this usually lot-specific, or more of an HOA thing?

I know a guy who will show up when he says he will show up and complete the job on the agreed upon timeframe and budget.   He’s not the cheapest, and I have not used him, but a few family members have and they were all satisfied with the services provided. I’ll pm his contact info if you would like me to.

• Hook 'Em 1

The architect for that house should be dug out of his grave and shot.  Any architect with his salt always looks at the lot and then first figures out where the car will enter the garage. Front loader?  Back loader? Side loader?  

Can you leave it as is and add your garage here?

Is there enough room within lot line set back?

AE8ADD69-6845-48E8-A9BC-D793885175E9.jpeg

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I know a guy who will show up when he says he will show up and complete the job on the agreed upon timeframe and budget.   He’s not the cheapest, and I have not used him, but a few family members have and they were all satisfied with the services provided. I’ll pm his contact info if you would like me to.

Please, and thank you.

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

The architect for that house should be dug out of his grave and shot.  Any architect with his salt always looks at the lot and then first figures out where the car will enter the garage. Front loader?  Back loader? Side loader?  

There are enough people who use the garage to just hoard crap, that I’m sure the architect didn’t give a shit. But yes, as a car guy, I’m not happy.

Adding a single at the end of the driveway was my first thought, if for no other reason than to minimize impact to existing structure...but the survey was only clear on the street setback requirement, need to confirm. The second AC unit is also on that side of the house, so probably need to work around that.

11 hours ago, deadshank said:

AE8ADD69-6845-48E8-A9BC-D793885175E9.jpeg

His street desired location is going to be easier on the roofline than having to fuck with that valley.  I mean, granted - I can make both of those work & be leak-free for decades, but add on that knob with a bay bump out & it's a hassle.

That said, I do like the purple business because it will be a shitload easier to get normal length vehicles in & out... no turns or backing up, etc.