I am a failed human, I have the yips

On 6/28/2021 at 8:12 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Documentation?  

I show here that you can’t be a good putter, and good with a sand wedge, and still shoot 86-94. Forget for a second that if you hit OB or in hazards, bogey is about the best you’ll score. You sound like a dipshit that watches golf and has never played. But you’re a dipshit nonetheless. 

Still showing your ignorance, yes you can do that but if you’re consistently shooting in the 90s, nope. Simply isn’t possible that you have those two techniques down but can’t do anything else. Unless you’re Ian Baker Finch

On 6/28/2021 at 8:12 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Documentation?  

I show here that you can’t be a good putter, and good with a sand wedge, and still shoot 86-94. Forget for a second that if you hit OB or in hazards, bogey is about the best you’ll score. You sound like a dipshit that watches golf and has never played. But you’re a dipshit nonetheless. 

Still showing your ignorance, yes you can do that but if you’re consistently shooting in the 90s, nope. Simply isn’t possible that you have those two techniques down but can’t do anything else. Unless you’re Ian Baker Finch

Dude I think the yips are mental. I don't know if I have any good advice, but stop caring if it goes in or not, and focus on correctly reading the green, correctly lining it up, and just making a good stroke. Spend some time on your stance/posture fundamentals.

How confident are you in your read? That might affect your confidence.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 6:03 PM, Bill Clay said:

Now a serious reply. Get a metronome app for your phone. 75 BPM is a good starting point, but adjust to what feels good. I like 72. Take away on one tick and make contact on the next, regardless of length of putt. Practice for an hour, then take away the metronome and practice another hour, but try to "hear" the ticks in your mind. Focusing on the ticks will take away the yips. Good luck and report back.

I've never heard this advice before and I kind of like it but be sure to accelerate your putter through the ball.

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

Dude I think the yips are mental. I don't know if I have any good advice, but stop caring if it goes in or not, and focus on correctly reading the green, correctly lining it up, and just making a good stroke. Spend some time on your stance/posture fundamentals.

How confident are you in your read? That might affect your confidence.

The caring is the issue, for sure. I was so good on shorter putts for so long that when I missed a few I started to question everything and it all sort of avalanched from there. I had a reputation to uphold, dammit.

I played last night and missed one 4 footer but made 3 putts from 10'+. The miss was a breaking L-R downhiller , but my trigger was better and the takeaway was smoother. I'm a lot calmer than I was when I started this thread. I have a session with a putting whisperer scheduled for Friday so I'm hopeful.

• Like 3

The caring is the issue, for sure. I was so good on shorter putts for so long that when I missed a few I started to question everything and it all sort of avalanched from there. I had a reputation to uphold, dammit.
I played last night and missed one 4 footer but made 3 putts from 10'+. The miss was a breaking L-R downhiller , but my trigger was better and the takeaway was smoother. I'm a lot calmer than I was when I started this thread. I have a session with a putting whisperer scheduled for Friday so I'm hopeful.

Just get shitfaced then you will stop caring

1) stop worrying about the outcome of the putt. Pick a line and commit to it 

2) accelerate through the ball. Most people that think they have the yips don’t. Usually people are decelerating while trying make a smooth stroke. It might be worth practicing a pop stroke similar to Snedeker’s to get the feeling of acceleration back.

Edited by StruggleBus
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 7:03 PM, Bill Clay said:

Now a serious reply. Get a metronome app for your phone. 75 BPM is a good starting point, but adjust to what feels good. I like 72. Take away on one tick and make contact on the next, regardless of length of putt. Practice for an hour, then take away the metronome and practice another hour, but try to "hear" the ticks in your mind. Focusing on the ticks will take away the yips. Good luck and report back.

There’s a school of instrumental music pedagogy where you focus on timing entirely, ignoring wrong notes, missed notes, bad sounds, bad feel, etc. By fixing the timing and coordination, those other things eventually fall into place. Focus solely on timing and ignore how it feels or even if it succeeds. Success is measured by good time alone, not playing the lick well or in this case, making the putt. Focus ONLY on time.

It works in music, particularly for the people who are really broken and having trouble. Complex, highly practiced tasks are less technique and more timing and coordination.

Edited by Mole

On 6/30/2021 at 10:16 AM, Dr. Beeper said:

I consistently shoot 85-95. I have no issues in green side bunkers - it’s probably the best part of my game. Putting is the second best part - or 1b.  I didn’t say I was Phil Mickelson or Brad Faxon, and you’re still a moron. 

If you’re shooting 85-95 you definitely have issues in the bunker, on the greens, and everywhere else. You’re just too stupid to realize it.

• Haha 1

Update: I had a session with a teaching pro to see if there might be a fix. He watched me putt for about 5 minutes and had me try to make 5 in a row from about 5'. I struggled with that after making the first couple. He noticed that at address I had the shaft leaning away from the ball, increasing the putter loft as it were. He had me address the putt, take a look at the hole, forward press the shaft and use that motion as a trigger. Instant improvement. We played around with a putter that has adjustable grip weights and settled on adding 75 grams to the shaft. 5 in a row was much easier with the press and counter balanced putter. Big improvement. With more weight between my hands it is much easier to have a smooth takeaway and putter strike. I played in a senior tourney today and shot 80, took 5th in my age group and cashed 2/3 of my entry. Its still not feeling completely natural but Im getting my head wrapped around it. Thanks for all the replies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Update: I had a session with a teaching pro to see if there might be a fix. He watched me putt for about 5 minutes and had me try to make 5 in a row from about 5'. I struggled with that after making the first couple. He noticed that at address I had the shaft leaning away from the ball, increasing the putter loft as it were. He had me address the putt, take a look at the hole, forward press the shaft and use that motion as a trigger. Instant improvement. We played around with a putter that has adjustable grip weights and settled on adding 75 grams to the shaft. 5 in a row was much easier with the press and counter balanced putter. Big improvement. With more weight between my hands it is much easier to have a smooth takeaway and putter strike. I played in a senior tourney today and shot 80, took 5th in my age group and cashed 2/3 of my entry. Its still not feeling completely natural but Im getting my head wrapped around it. Thanks for all the replies.

Very cool. Who was your pro you saw for putting?