Whats the most stable and beneficial wine/spirit to age at home?

52-80

We got the idea to buy a few bottles for our childs birth, and store them all the way until major birthdays to enjoy and/or gift. Im talking 15/18/21 years. 

We have a cellar/basement at our residence, but a good assumption is we wont be there forever so there will be moments of transport and non-ideal condition. 

so…regular wine? Fortified wines (eg port)? Sparkling wines? Whiskey? Rum?

I was reading an article where a guy bought a full cask of scotch being aged in a warehouse for each of his kids, then sold it off later. It was done as an investment and they were sold for something like 200,000 each 20 or so years later. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/news/retiring-early-made-225000-investing-whisky/

A sealed, unopened bottle of spirits will not age at all. But once you open it, the alcohol will start to evaporate and it will begin to taste “off” after like a year.

Wine CAN mature in the bottle. Most of the time you do not want to let whites sit for longer than a few years. For reds, classic burgundies and the like handle aging well, not so much fruity reds.  

If you want to do the cask, that could work and 12-21 or so years is really the sweet spot for whiskey.  But that’s a big investment.

I would go to an upscale wine shop, tell them what you want to do (preferably owner operated type place) and let them steer you the right way for some good red wines that will age nicely in the space you have to store them.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, slorch said:

Regardless of what  you decide upon, around year 13-14 you're going to experience an incredible urge to drink all of it in one day.

Nailed it.  I’ve poured quite a few great 12–25 yr bourbons in “honor” of my teenagers.  Also, they won’t have any respect or appreciation for this kind of quality until they’re, like, 30 so this is probably a waste of time.  

46 minutes ago, slorch said:

Regardless of what  you decide upon, around year 13-14 you're going to experience an incredible urge to drink all of it in one day.

This could be a great threat to hang over their heads if they start acting a fool

Assuming you can store them well (around 55 degrees) buy some second or third growth Bordeaux-first growth is damned expensive. In 20-25 years they should be outstanding especially if the vintages are good. They also likely will have appreciated in value, maybe even substantially. You/they may want to sell them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Assuming you can store them well (around 55 degrees) buy some second or third growth Bordeaux-first growth is damned expensive. In 20-25 years they should be outstanding especially if the vintages are good. They also likely will have appreciated in value, maybe even substantially. You/they may want to sell them.

I was fortunate that 2016 was a great Bordeaux year so I bought some for my son. Pontet-Canet is a fifth growth, but they will easily reach 21 years.

My daughter was born in 2018 and that is supposed to be the champagne vintage of the century. I’m going to buy a case of a high quality producer when it’s released. Those will hold as well.