HiFi

jimmyjazz

Not sure if there's a thread for audio equipment, but in case there isn't, maybe this could be the meta thread.

My daughter wants a new turntable.  I need recs for Austin stores that might carry gently used mid-fi brands like Rega, Pro-Ject, Music Hall, etc.  My expectation would be that we'd only need to supply a new belt and cartridge.  Mint old-school decks like Thorens might be cool too, but could bust the budget (~ $300 all-in).  No need for USB, phono preamp, etc., her system is good save for her very entry-level turntable.

I haven't been in the audio gear game for years now, so I'm not sure what stores are still open and what might be new on the scene.

I thought we had one somewhere but not sure.

I’m not sure about in Austin but AB TV used to have some of that stuff. In SA both Bjorns and Best Buy Magnolia carry what you’re looking for. There’s a BB Magnolia in south Austin off mopac.

In similar news, I’m picking up my new fronts, center and receiver on Thursday. Getting a pair of Def Tech ST-L super towers, a mythos ten, and a Marantz SR-7010. Fucking psyched.

2 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

You can get a brand new Pro-ject Debut Carbon for $349. Why not do that and add the phono stage?   Comes with stylus and a new belt. 

We're leaning towards the Pro-ject Elemental.  I'll have to buy her a phono preamp, but that's cool.  I also have a Gingko dust cover that she can have.

Quality gear, new, no wasted goo-gahs (USB, etc.).  I thought the little Yamaha receiver I bought her a couple of years ago had a phono input, but it's line stage only.  No big deal, there are a bunch of sub-$100 phono preamps out there, and some don't even suck.

image.png.d070eca0caf4aae9d935021fafe863ad.png