PODS Rental

Js1

Anyone done one of these for a move between states?  If so - what was the delivery/pickup process like? Did you use the PODS storage facility?  Cost?  Reliable? 

Moving DEN -> HOU and considering getting one of these, loading my shit up before I drive to Houston and having it stored in their facility in Houston, staying with my mom for 6 weeks during the holidays and then having it delivered to a new place to move in after the first of the year. 

Used movers when I moved HOU -> DEN and that fucking blew, not doing that again.  Could do the U-Haul and drive option, but would require me to fly back to Denver after the New Year, pack and drive the U-Haul down with shit in the middle of January, when weather can be a real fickle bitch. 

Did it once in town though. Sold our house and got a Short term rental while looking for a new place. Worked well. PODs isn’t the only one so shop around.

Also, they try to nickel and dime you on blankets and moving stuff so don’t assume that stuff is included

On 8/30/2021 at 5:10 PM, Updawg said:

Did it once in town though. Sold our house and got a Short term rental while looking for a new place. Worked well. PODs isn’t the only one so shop around.

Also, they try to nickel and dime you on blankets and moving stuff so don’t assume that stuff is included

Thanks.  They actually priced it at $3400, not including paying some dudes to load/unload, + another $400 for a month of extra storage, so like $3800.  The issue is going from apartment in Denver -> mom's house for 6 weeks -> apartment in Houston in January and where to store it all, if I just did traditional movers or moved it myself in a U-Haul (and driving a U-Haul with a dog for 16 hours). 

Fuck it, I'm just selling all the furniture, loading up the SUV with those IKEA-looking moving bags and using the $3800 to re-furnish a new place (plus the profits from selling the old stuff). 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

Used them to love Houston to austin about 10 years ago. The drop off was fine. The pickup was fine. But the storage situation was not.  Had them stored while we stayed with family and house hunted. Then we got a place and tried to get them delivered and it was like a 2 week lead time.  Even if we had known that before hand, that’s tough to coordinate because how often do you know 2 weeks out that you will have access to a new place?  Or it sits vacant while you wait for your stuff to arrive.  
and iirc they charge by the month for storage just like regular storage places so one day costs the same as 1 month- and with the long lead time it rolled over into the next month for us. 

as I keep learning with all of our longer moves, when you give someone all of your stuff you are at their mercy.

just used upack it for the wy to Texas move and their promised 1 week transit time turned into like 2.5 weeks. Their times aren’t guaranteed, but once they dropped the empty one off we were on a clock and the same when they dropped the full one. 48 hours or financial penalty. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto