The ‘21-‘22 Build Back Better Legislative Battle Scorecard

Satchel

On 11/22/2021 at 6:45 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

B/C Dems are the worst communicators....ever.  It's amazing how inept they are. 

Over the weekend, I and the beloved were driving out towards Fredericksburg. NPR was best signal at one point, so we listened to that.

A british writer for New Yorker was on talking about the THREE TRILLION DOLLAR INFRASTRUCTURE BILL. That's become the name of the bill as far as I can tell because that's all it's ever called by news outlets.

The guy made the point that this enormous amount of money will be spread out over ten years to cost about $350 Billion per annum. 2% of the GDP.  This crucial aspect of the bill had escaped my middling attention. I just hadn't thought to ask how the THREE TRILLION DOLLAR INFRASTRUCTURE BILL would be broken down.

I'm for the THREE TRILLION DOLLAR INFRASTRUCTURE BILL, but was concerned about the enormous, seemingly unpayable cost. Now it makes perfect sense, and I don't see cost as an obstacle at all to such a beneficial piece of legislation.

This is a failure of the Dems to get this message across. I will lay a greater amount of blame on the news media which are generally lazy and hostile to news. They settle on the most sensational aspect of something, reduce it to shorthand, and then never vary from the shorthand because they firmly believe their watchers will be confused if they do otherwise.

As I've written elsewhere, outside of FOX and OAN the problem isn't that the media are politically biased; it's that they're generally incompetent and lazy.

To be clear, I'm talking about electronic media. Print media does all the heavy lifting of actually finding the news that televised meat puppets regurgitate and endlessly examine.

The british guy also talked about how news reports costs of bills as they are debated but never follow up with how the bill actually worked out in the world. How many children were lifted from poverty, how was the environment improved, to what degree were small businesses actually benefitted. 

I'm an observer and critic of the news media, but hadn't considered that last paragraph. It was a gratifying discussion on NPR.

Edited by RomaVicta