2022 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

I would like to see Nick Kyrgios get drawn against Novak in the first round of Wimbledon (a.k.a. “The Championships”) and have one of those serving days where everyone is asking themselves…

”How is he not a Top 5 player with 2 or 3 Grand Slam trophies already?”

🙏

3C14AEDE-4C31-4403-8496-FD7F47F6C6BA.thumb.jpeg.a3c774a4c599cd9962ecaf2604444260.jpeg

Nick in his Wimby Whites.

And today he’s playing with his underhand serve Russian doppelgänger.

0B8882E4-74B0-4D86-8DFC-895F8451A38B.thumb.jpeg.fd3a3f189423d96e7516b2e385e99062.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Has any player retired from more matches this year than Princess Emma?

Emma Raducanu: 'Freak injury' forces US Open champion out of tournament and puts Wimbledon in doubt

The US Open champion has been beset by injuries and has had to pull out of three tournaments in the first set since September. She said she had "no idea" if she would be fit for Wimbledon, which begins in less than three weeks. 

By Amar Mehta, News reporter  @Amarjournalist_

Tuesday 7 June 2022 17:36, UK

image.jpeg.fe7c8a6774e10980a9690e4f57ed0ae6.jpeg

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/emma-raducanu-freak-injury-forces-us-open-champion-out-of-tournament-and-puts-wimbledon-in-doubt-12629446

5 hours ago, ss13 said:

Last week’s tourneys sucked, hopefully they’ll get a little better now. 

¿Qué? ¿En serio?

I thought that Murray defeating Kyrgios in the semifinals sit a tournament before losing to Berrattini in Stuttgart was noteworthy.

Also, in The Netherlands, we had a wildcard entry named Tim Van Rijthoven 🇳🇱, a Dutchie ranked 205th in the world and who had never won a single match on the full tour level (perhaps he’d won quallies before), had the week of his life!

Tim beat: a qualifier in the 1st Rnd, 2nd Rnd Taylor Fritz 3-seed (6-7, 7-5, 6-4), Qtrs Hugo Gaston (7-6, 6-4), Semis 2-seed Felix Auger-Aliassime (6-3, 1-6, 7-6), and in the final 1-seed/ new #1 in the World Daniil Medvedev (6-4, 6-2).

The Dutch kid, 25 years old, went from 205th in the world to 106th in the world, has a tour win, is practically guaranteed a Wild Card to Wimbledon, and his career winnings maybe doubled. Absolutely life-changing.

The woman’s side was less interesting, But Allie (sp?) Riske showing that a person practically devoid of all pigment can still do well in Northern Europe even if they appear to be a ghost. And a Russian beat up on a Belarusian in a final.

Edited by Napoleon

Always thought that she was cute. Don’t know if I saw her play a single match. She should have a career in front of the camera. She’s an attractive bilingual gold medalist. 

In ATP Result this week:

Taylor Fritz lost in his 1st match for the second week in a row. With his big serve, you’d think that he would be deadly on grass, but no. 

Same for Riley Opelka… but he lost to Alex de Minaur and it wasn’t close. Perhaps his first serve wasn’t totally on, but also de Minaur Just flew around the court like a speed rat (the nose/mustache combo) and really seemed to know how to play on grass. 

I didn’t realize how badly things were going for seeded players at the ATP’s Queen’s Club Tournament.

In the 1st Round the tournament has already lost the: #1, #3, #4, #5, and #8 seeds.

The hot up-and-coming young phenom, Marin Cilic, as the #7 seed is the only seeded player to win so far. 

AD0C054C-EDEF-4C60-81AC-3E0B78082693.jpeg

33 minutes ago, ss13 said:

That does suck since she'll get so much media attention early, but she'll get sent home (or withdraw) as soon as she realizes you still have to run some in this sport. 

I predict she’ll be losing her 1st round match when she takes a slip and fall on the grass and retires 

• Drool 1

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

What a waste of a Wimbledon WC. Maybe she told organizers this was her last Wimbledon. Serena doesn’t even have a coach right now

https://apnews.com/article/sports-tennis-serena-williams-wimbledon-e17a11582630457cd54abde947a5d7d4

6 hours ago, ss13 said:

That does suck since she'll get so much media attention early, but she'll get sent home (or withdraw) as soon as she realizes you still have to run some in this sport. 

5 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I predict she’ll be losing her 1st round match when she takes a slip and fall on the grass and retires 

1) With zero points being awarded, Wimbledon has raised payouts & decided to make it a true exhibition to ward off defections. 

2) Banning Russians & Belarusians is still the right thing to do.

3) NIKE gets one more shot as squeezing fat Serena into some kind of ridiculous white sausage casing. 🤢🤮

4) Hope that she disgraces herself in the 1st round (which is incredibly petty) even though she carried the women’s game for the better part of 2 decades. 

I have never liked sore losers and I will always hold her accountable for a large part of Naomi Osaka’s mental issues for how she shat all over Naomi’s first Grand Slam win and then took the time to shmear that shit all over Center Court (Arthur Ashe Stadium), Naomi, and that US Open winner’s trophy. 

Naomi has had doubts about her worthiness ever since that day. 

Fuck Serena!

Sloane in the 3rd set against a British girl named Katie Swan in the 1st round in Bad Homberg. (A spa town in SW Germany.)

Katie was feeling some discomfort in her left thigh late in the 2nd set and a trainer came out to work her. 

I thought that he thigh looked great, but she left the court to get worked a little more intimately and then came back and served out the 2nd set. 

The 23 year-old lightly tanned blonde Brit looks great on grass (or not on it) and Sloane’s body language is starting to go downhill. It’s only the second game of the 3rd set, so we shall see. 

Belinda retired in the Berlin final against Jabeur with a sprained ankle. 

Zhang beat hot Sorana early this morning in the semis of Birmingham, then retired in the final against Haddad Maia (also won Nottingham last week). She also withdrew from the doubles final, so 3 of the 4 finals today were shit. 

Women. 

• Drool 1

Jensen Brooksby 🇺🇸 getting shown that he is left wanting by a Brit who is younger than he is. 

Jack Draper 🇬🇧 up a set and two breaks is now serving for the match. 

Draper lost two points on serve in the first set. Lost a total of 5 points on serve all match.  And that’s that.

6-2 , 6-2

Draper is a crafty lefty with a massive serve and very comfortable at the net. 

Brooksby is fortunate that the grass season is so short (for now) and that the clay season isn’t longer than 2 months, because he’s not so hot once he steps off of a hard court. 

I've been a Katie Swan fan for years. Whats not to like about a Brit that has lived in Kansas most her life due to her dad's occupation

Also, poor thing drew a rough first rounder for this year's Wimbledon 
image.png.4fc2f7a8f47267576972e4fb6001eacd.png

Serena will play a qualifier first round.

Edited by perfectchaos007

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I've been a Katie Swan fan for years. Whats not to like about a Brit that has lived in Kansas most her life due to her dad's occupation

Also, poor thing drew a rough first rounder for this year's Wimbledon 
image.png.4fc2f7a8f47267576972e4fb6001eacd.png

Serena will play a qualifier first round.

1) Katie  🥰 😢

Coco should smoke her. It will be sad to see her go out so early  

2) Ugh, Serena may actually win a match before pulling her fat in the 2nd round. 

3) Hopefully Katie is also playing doubles & mixed doubles. 🙏

4) If Kyrgios doesn’t play mixed doubles with Venus and can keep from straining anything, he can beat anyone. He lost to Hurkazc in 3 sets after breaking Huber and not losing serve (I believe) 4-6, 7-6, 7-6 and Hurkazc absolutely smoked a vastly improved Medvedev. So in a dream world, Kyrgios is fit, in form & focused enough to beat Novak early in the tournament.

Haven’t checked on today’s scores.

Edited by Napoleon

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Serena can play doubles for several more years if she wants to. I believe Navratilova played until she was about 50. You don’t have to be in shape to play doubles 

Marti a & Jabeur would kick Serena & Jabeur's ass.

Serena moved like an old person. It was funny-sad. Her first step frequently looked like she was playing in sand. Only watched the first step though.

• Haha 1

Today, in the battle of UCLA, Marcos Giron beat Mackey McDonald in 3 sets, while Nick Kyrgios withdrew (w/o) before playing Bautista Agut.

I think that Kyrgios was running out of ganas (Spanish for “desire”/“willingness to do something”), because he looked fairly uninterested in the first set yesterday before winning the 2nd & 3rd sets in tie-breakers. 

He doesn’t play the tour full-time, but made it to 2 semifinals in a row before starting with a win that he didn’t seem to enjoy. I can imagine this withdrawal is as much to give his body a rest as it is to give his brain a rest before Wimbledon. He’ll likely spend a few days with his lady on the beach in Mallorca (or Ibiza) before heading up to London. 

Simona has done some weird scheduling shit last two weeks. 250 in Great Britain over 500 in Germany last week, now 250 in Germany over 500 in GB. Seems easier to pick one country & stay there since you kinda gotta be in GB next week anyway. 

In the battle of two former grand slam winners, Kvitova (NIKE) is up a set and a break in Eastbourne over Ostapenko (Eastern European Decorative Tablecloth Makers Collective).

In Bad Homburg, THE Romanian Canadian, Andreescu is serving to go to a 1st set tie-breaker again Mexican* Frenchie 🇫🇷Caroline Garcia. And now the tie-breaker. 

*there is no evidence that Garcia is actually Mexican. 

EDIT: Breakfast on Grass

7AEC6AE8-5537-40FF-99C0-C1CBAC37CBEA.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Danielle is playing a halfway decent clay 250 in Switzerland this week. 

https://www.flashscore.com/draw/CIlwrvX9/YqI7FyV7/#/draw

I’d either like to be in Newport, R.I. for the Hall of Fame tournament on grass or whatever the fuck & wherever the fuck the thing in Switzerland is. 

Texas sucks Arabia desert camel 🐫 balls 🏀 🏀 this week, and last, and next. 

I don’t have a pool or a boat or a beach house on an ocean or a chalet in the mountains and that kind of sucks.