2022 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

WTA announced the Austin open today. It's a 250 tournament and will start on Feb 27, 2023. They're playing at Westwood country club which is surprising because imo it's pretty run down. I don't know how they're going to fit 1500 spectators on that court.

Also Feb 27th is a terrible time to have an outdoor tournament in Austin. My oldest kid's bday is that weekend and it's always 50/50 whether you're going to have a freeze or wintry weather with rain and sleet.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

WTA announced the Austin open today. It's a 250 tournament and will start on Feb 27, 2023. They're playing at Westwood country club which is surprising because imo it's pretty run down. I don't know how they're going to fit 1500 spectators on that court.

Also Feb 27th is a terrible time to have an outdoor tournament in Austin. My oldest kid's bday is that weekend and it's always 50/50 whether you're going to have a freeze or wintry weather with rain and sleet.

I worked at Westwood CC a little over a decade ago, and I never quite understood why people paid so much money to become members there. It's a fine club, don't get me wrong, but the initiation fee and monthly dues were astronomical for a non-golf country club. Also, back then there was a 2 year waitlist just to become a member which blew my mind. Parking is also extremely limited on the site, so any time there's an event, most visitors will end up parking on 35th street. It's going to be a mess unless they shuttle fans in from off-site.

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I worked at Westwood CC a little over a decade ago, and I never quite understood why people paid so much money to become members there. It's a fine club, don't get me wrong, but the initiation fee and monthly dues were astronomical for a non-golf country club. Also, back then there was a 2 year waitlist just to become a member which blew my mind. Parking is also extremely limited on the site, so any time there's an event, most visitors will end up parking on 35th street. It's going to be a mess unless they shuttle fans in from off-site.

All of this.  It’s not a bad club but the only place in Austin would be UT.  None of our country clubs have real spectator areas and the city owned ones have no parking.  Westwood has the worst access of all the country clubs too.  Maybe it’s tv only?

11 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

All of this.  It’s not a bad club but the only place in Austin would be UT.  None of our country clubs have real spectator areas and the city owned ones have no parking.  Westwood has the worst access of all the country clubs too.  Maybe it’s tv only?

After the destruction of Pennick Alison , Texas mens tennis played some of their matches at Westwood and they were able to accommodate those crowds. A WTA 250 event should draw more fans than a Texas tennis match, however. I’m curious to see how it pans out 

7 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Anyone ever been to the French Open? Turns out we’ll be in Paris during the second week. 

1) No

2) Last year I bought a player towel and a beach towel, plus about 3 canvas bags from the French Open (or “ROLAND GARROS” as it says on the towels) and I was pleased with my purchases. 

I would definitely go if I were ever in Paris at that time. 

They're expecting to fit 1500 spectators on the main Court but I don't know how they're going to do that. It's been a few years since I was there but as I remember those fences are really high at the ends of the court and on one side there's only a small strip of grass between the main court and another Court that's maybe 15 ft wide.
Anyone ever been to the French Open? Turns out we’ll be in Paris during the second week. 
I turned down a chance to go in '08 and then again in 2012. We were already in Paris for a week each time but I don't like crowds. I don't really regret it but if we're there again I think I might go this next time.

They can install a temporary tent over the main court and only need two total courts. One with stands and one with a little standing room for early round doubles matches. 

I went to the Dallas Open at SMU this year and they had the main court and then a shit court behind the stands. Also, the main court probably went sideways across 3 courts, including the main seating area behind each baseline.

I feel fairly certain that they already have everything planned out  

Schwartzman completely chocked on Tsitsipas’ Greek kebob and lost the final 6 games of the match after leading 4-0 in the 3rd set. 

Tsitsipas’ dad continued his cheating ways. 

Carlos Álcaraz lost to Korda who lost to Fritz who lost to Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, so it’s rather difficult to say that Carlitos’ matchup kept him from going farther. 

Pretty good tournament with Tsitsipas facing Zverev in the semis while Dimitriv faces ADF.

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Schwartzman completely chocked on Tsitsipas’ Greek kebob and lost the final 6 games of the match after leading 4-0 in the 3rd set. 

Tsitsipas’ dad continued his cheating ways. 

Carlos Álcaraz lost to Korda who lost to Fritz who lost to Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, so it’s rather difficult to say that Carlitos’ matchup kept him from going farther. 

Pretty good tournament with Tsitsipas facing Zverev in the semis while Dimitriv faces ADF.

ADF looks a different player all of a sudden; agile as a cat  on the court and super quick to the ball.  I wouldn't mind seeing him make his way to the final to pound Greek Jesus.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/12/2022 at 5:03 PM, 4th&Five said:

I was fortunate enough to go the French in 2001. My friend and I bought tickets from a guy in the station next to Roland Garros for $100 USD each - saw Agassi tank against Grosjean (?),  then Capriati, and some others play. But I think the best part was roaming the grounds and seeing the players on the smaller courts up close. I played in college, but seeing these pros and how good they were was a treat... one of the highlights of my tennis life. I hope you get to go!

And if you watched Agassi play way back then, his book "Open" is an interesting read.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

She actually looked pretty good against Iga in last week’s tournament. 

Whatever she does, she definitely should NOT go back to the coach she was with when she won the US Open. Only a fool would do that. 
🙄

Just a guess, but Perhaps there was sexual tension with her coach that she was uncomfortable with? Pam Shrivers recent testimony about her inappropriate relationship with her coach brought to light how common these relationships are between teenage girl and her senior coach. Hopefully that’s not what was happening in Raducanu’s case, but it’s otherwise difficult to explain the reasoning behind leaving your coach that skyrocketed your career from challengers to grand slam champion in just a years time. There’s clearly something significant behind the scenes that we don’t know 

Edited by perfectchaos007

FAA vs Korda on now. 

I really like Korda, but like the other white Americans in the Top 40, he is almost completely emotionless during his matches. 

I just wish that he (and the other honkies) would show a little something during the match rather than having to until after match point to see something. 

Especially after listening to the Pam Shriver interview where she divulges seducing her coach like a whore [writer’s embellishment], I am even more convinced that Garbiñe Muguruza and her coach, Conchita Martinez, have a sexual history. 

Also think that something is up with Iga and her shrink and/or her physio. When the three of them went on a vacation together (JUST the three of them) either late 2020 or early 2021, I thought “This is so far from normal that something has to be up.”

The Tennis Podcast thinks that Halep is really locked in for Madrid Open.