Changing employer - medical coverage in gap

I am leaving my current employer in a couple of weeks, on Friday March 4. I am starting with new employer on Monday March 7. I currently have full medical/dental/vision etc. through my employer. As part of my out-boarding process I am trying to understand the health insurance coverage I will or won't have for the weekend in between.

I did receive benefits information to look at as part of the out-boarding process but want to make sure I understand. It stays that my coverage does end on my last day. Then, within the next 14 days I will receive information on COBRA and can opt-in at that point.

I think this means that, while technically I won't have coverage for that weekend, if someone in my family needs to go in to the ER or has other sudden and unplanned medical expense, I can then opt-in to COBRA and get retroactive coverage. I don't need to proactively do anything and won't have to pay for COBRA unless that unplanned expense occurs, then I will just be covered like normal by new employee on the 7th.

While I get that every situation is different, does this seem consistent with general understand to anyone who has experience in this issue?

I was in the HR world for a number of years, but left it about ten years ago.  Your assumption is correct based upon the knowledge I have.  It's called the COBRA waiting game, and is an effective way to pay retroactively for coverage if you need it.  With your short gap in coverage, you will probably be fine #nojinx.  Wouldn't exactly go skiing or play pickup basketball during the gap though.