Liverpool 2018-19 ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!!!

Firemans4Horn

1 hour ago, Jograves said:

Why? How many CBs are you wanting us to carry?

The problem isn't number, it's reliability. Lovren is a knucklehead who not only is injured quite a bit but then lies about his injuries. Matip can't stay fit for more than a couple of matches. Gomez is young, pretty inexperienced, and also has a pretty gnarly injury history. Nat Phillips has looked great. In pre-season.

None of those guys can be relied on. Klavan wasn't great but he was serviceable and almost always fit. I think we can probably get away with a combination of the rest of those guys but it's not terribly reassuring.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

The problem isn't number, it's reliability. Lovren is a knucklehead who not only is injured quite a bit but then lies about his injuries. Matip can't stay fit for more than a couple of matches. Gomez is young, pretty inexperienced, and also has a pretty gnarly injury history. Nat Phillips has looked great. In pre-season.

None of those guys can be relied on. Klavan wasn't great but he was serviceable and almost always fit. I think we can probably get away with a combination of the rest of those guys but it's not terribly reassuring.

I guess I have a little more faith in those guys than some of you do, which is totally fine. I'm sure you'll admit there are other factors involved, like the wage bill, Klavan's happiness, etc. I think I read they also want to show the young guys there's a path to the big club through the academy. 

FTR, I thought Gomez looked great aside from the one time Arnautovic got behind him. Overall, I'm pleased as punch with the roster and have zero gripes with how it's constructed. The ownership group has definitely come a long way. 

I guess I have a little more faith in those guys than some of you do, which is totally fine. I'm sure you'll admit there are other factors involved, like the wage bill, Klavan's happiness, etc. I think I read they also want to show the young guys there's a path to the big club through the academy. 

FTR, I thought Gomez looked great aside from the one time Arnautovic got behind him. Overall, I'm pleased as punch with the roster and have zero gripes with how it's constructed. The ownership group has definitely come a long way. 

The problem isn't letting Klavan go. It's not replacing Lovren.

I know he's a burr in your saddle but he just doesn't bother me as much. He's been good to great in 2018 in all comps. I realize a lot of that has to do with VVD but Dejan held his own in some huge games. 

I've been in Montana since last week and haven't followed the team news other than watching the match on Sunday, so I don't know what this latest cock-up of his entails. 

I know he's a burr in your saddle but he just doesn't bother me as much. He's been good to great in 2018 in all comps. I realize a lot of that has to do with VVD but Dejan held his own in some huge games. 

I've been in Montana since last week and haven't followed the team news other than watching the match on Sunday, so I don't know what this latest cock-up of his entails. 

Nice humble brag

19 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Why? He’s not better than Gomez. He’s fifth choice at CB. If we need our 5th choice then let’s play a kid and learn rather than watch a 32 year old screw us the same way.

He was on the bench for the Champions League final. A lot of shit can happen during a season. No one knows what is going on with Lovren. Gomez looks good, but he will need rest. And Matip isn't healthy.

Who's our third option right now?  A guy who hasn't played a single minute of EPL football? Seems risky given our schedule.

25 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

He was on the bench for the Champions League final. A lot of shit can happen during a season. No one knows what is going on with Lovren. Gomez looks good, but he will need rest. And Matip isn't healthy.

Who's our third option right now?  A guy who hasn't played a single minute of EPL football? Seems risky given our schedule.

My issue isn’t that we shouldn’t have depth. I’m just of the opinion that Klavan is no better than Phillips and if we are forced to our 5th choice then 1) we are fucked anyway and 2) I would rather see Phillips learn.

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Matip. 

Lovren will be back in a week or two. Phillips is probably on par with Klavan. 

Klopp did Klavan a solid and let him go play a couple more years before he hangs them up. He could have kept him as the “break in case of emergency” centerback but Klavan wanted to go play and Klopp was cool with it. 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’d bet we see 1 if Henderson/Fabinho is the 11. Other two on the bench 

Who is your 3rd MFer?

I think Keita, Hendo and Fabinho start in MF. Same front 3 and defense as the previous week. It's really hard to drop Milner and Gini with the way they played last week, but I think Klopp has to find a way to get minutes into Hendo and Fabinho before we get into the meat of the season. 

I think Gini is 100% going to the bench, but it will be hard for me to imagine Klopp benching Milner after his performance last week. In that case, it's either benching your captain in Henderson or your expensive summer signing in Fabinho. I don't really care either way - it's nice to finally have these problems with depth!

2 hours ago, maninblack said:

The thing to watch/hope for, besides a smooth buttfucking of Palace, is Gomez to put in another solid performance next to Big Virg. He'll get a better test today.

You know it. Gomez today, Gomez tomorrow, Gomez forever!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jograves said:

Joyce tweeted Karius is set to join Besiktas on a TWO year loan. 

I view this as the best case scenario coming into the summer. Seems to have worked out as a necessity. Karius could have real value in a couple years. Waffles has limited value but is also a very good 2nd choice for the EPL. 

4 hours ago, Bodowned said:

I think Gini is 100% going to the bench, but it will be hard for me to imagine Klopp benching Milner after his performance last week. In that case, it's either benching your captain in Henderson or your expensive summer signing in Fabinho. I don't really care either way - it's nice to finally have these problems with depth!

You are correct. Milner stays. Fabinho isn't even on the bench.