Primus Sucks!

Lurch

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Wynona’s Big Brown Beer?

Sure, pretty close!

Just having a little fun.  Primus is also the name of a tasty weizenbck from local brewery Live Oak here in Austin.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

Les Claypool is like a musical mad scientist. He’s brilliant. And a little crazy. I was never a huge Primus fan but I liked them okay. I’d have to check my ticket stubs but I think I only saw them once in concert. I used to have several of their albums but I eventually sold them back to the used record store.

I’ve seen Les a bunch of times in other groups when he decided to join the jam band community, though. Colonel Les Claypool’s Fearless Flying Frog Brigade was an awesome band that totally jammed and the two-night stand at the Fillmore in San Francisco on 12/30-31/2000 ranks right up there with the highlights of my concertgoing career. Another highlight was at the House of Blues in Vegas on 9/30/00 after the Phish show at the Thomas & Mack Center. Everybody expected Trey Anastasio to make a guest appearance since he and Les were friends and had performed together in “Oysterhead,” a jam band supergroup that hat played at Jazz Fest the year before. There’s a lot more to the story that I’ll leave out. But in the times I saw Frog Brigade I got to see them cover Pink Floyd’s Animals twice. (It’s also on one of their live albums.) They also played some Primus tunes and covers of tunes by the Beatles, King Crimson, and Led Zeppelin. But not only did Trey show up at House of Blues that night, so did Stewart Copeland and we got an Oysterhead reunion!

I was there sweating my ass off in that tent when Col. Claypool’s Bucket of Bernie Brains performed at the first Bonnaroo:

I went on a mini-tour and followed Oysterhead around for four shows in the Midwest. The two middle ones completely solo. Chicago -> West Lafayette -> Ann Arbor -> Cleveland. Cleveland rocks! Also, and you know I would never say this if it weren’t true, but Michigan’s Hill Auditorium is a damn fine venue. Get yourself a seat in the center section in front of the soundboard and the acoustics are as warm as any I’ve ever heard anywhere. I also saw an amazing Phish show there in ‘94 and I’ve got a great recording of a show the Dead played there in ‘71. It’s first rate.

Anyway, back to Frog Brigade, that New Year’s Eve show at the Fillmore in 2000 (the ACTUAL millennium) was awesome. Banyan opened and they were incredible too. They played such a jam fest that my recording of their set is just one long track. Who could tell how to cut it up into separate tracks? Plus they had this artist onstage with an easel and a backlight, and he used a paintbrush and a squeegee to improvise images, alternating between positive and negative space, along with the music. I was tripping balls and it was one of the most amazing things I’d ever seen. But here’s a sample of the Frog Brigade show from that night, it kicks ass, you can find more if you care to look for it:

What a stellar trip. After that show ended a buddy and I rushed over to the Warfield and bribed the guys at the door to let us come in and catch the end of the Galactic show.