Week Three College Football Viewing Guide

BigOrange1

This one is going to be a little shorter than the previous two versions because 1) I am on the road all week and just throwing this together during a break, and 2) this week’s slate of games leaves A LOT to be desired.  Once again, we have two dates that feature games this week:

Friday, September 16th
Florida State (2-0) @ Louisville (1-1)  - 6:30, ESPN2
Florida State had plenty of time to celebrate their nice win over LSU as they were off last week.  Louisville recovered from an awful showing in their season opener to rebound and beat UCF on the road.  This should be a close game.  FSU is favored by 2.

Saturday, September 17th
#1 Georgia (2-0) @ South Carolina (1-1) - 11:00, ESPN
This one really only gets mentioned because the slate is so weak and it’s a conference matchup.  Rattler being at South Carolina makes it maybe 0.02% more interesting, but Georgia is gonna destroy the Gamecock.  They are favored by 24.5.

#6 Oklahoma (2-0) @ Nebraska (1-2) - 11:00, FOX
Again, this week’s slate of games sucks.  This one is listed simply because it’s a “name” matchup, but Nebraska is terrible and has already fired their coach.  OU will go into their Big 12 conference schedule completely untested.  Shockingly, they are only favored by 11.5 here.  I know Nebraska lost a lot of 1 score games under Frost, but man that line seems as off as last week’s USC @ Stanford line was.

#12 BYU (2-0) @ #25 Oregon (1-1) - 2:30, FOX
To me, this is the game of the day.  BYU is coming off their big win over Baylor and you know Oregon is going to want to make a statement and change the narrative of their season after that season opening drubbing they took at the hands of Georgia.  To me, this is a game that Oregon should win.  They are favored by 3.5.

#22 Penn State (2-0) @ Auburn (2-0), 2:30 CBS
This is another solid game that is enhanced by the lack of many other solid games this week.  Auburn has played two nobodies to start the season while Penn State was tested in week 1 at Purdue.  Penn State is favored by 3.

Kansas (2-0) @ Houston (1-1), 3:00 ESPNU
I put this game on here mostly as a smart ass, but Kansas does technically lead the Big 12 at this point in the season coming off their huge win on the road at West Virginia.  Houston’s dream of an undefeated season died in overtime at Tech last week.  They are favored by 9.5 so oddsmakers are expecting a decently competitive game.

Texas Tech (2-0) @ #16 NC State (2-0), 6:00 ESPN2
Tech had a nice win over Houston last week and all that is standing between their being undefeated (and probably ranked) for their big home game against our Longhorns next week is a trip to Raleigh, North Carolina.  NC State was lucky to escape week 1 against East Carolina with a win, but oddsmakers still seem to like them as they are favored by 10.5 here.  I think I would expect them to win, but 10.5 feels like too many.

#11 Michigan State (2-0) @ Washington (2-0), 6:30 ABC
Washington is another team who has done nothing in the first two weeks in terms of scheduling that gives us any useful information as to what they will actually be this year.  I do know they have the Indiana transfer Michael Pennix as their QB and he had a very nice season for IU a couple of seasons ago.  I’m shocked to see that they are favored by 3.5.

UTSA (1-1) @ #21 Texas (1-1), 7:00 LHN
Who will play QB for the Horns?  Texas is coming off of their most impressive defensive performance in I don’t even know how long and as long as they are able to play that way on that side of the ball, I don’t think it will matter who is QBing them on the other side of the ball.  Texas is favored by 10.5.

#13 Miami (2-0) @ #24 Texas A&M (1-1), 8:00 ESPN
I don’t know why A&M is still ranked, but they are fucking terrible on offense.  They could only manage 14 points against a team who was coming off a game where they gave up 63 points IN REGULATION.  Miami hasn’t played anyone to date, but as long as they can score 20 points, it’s hard to see them losing this game.  However, oddsmakers are still buying into the A&M hype as they are favored by 5.5.

Fresno State (1-1) @ #7 USC (2-0), 9:30 FOX
This will be SC’s stiffest test to date (not that that is saying a ton).  Fresno State can score, but I don’t think they’ll be able to stop SC enough to really compete with them.  The Trojans are favored by 12.

And that’ll do it for week 3.  Once we get to 2:30, there are enough games that should be interesting enough to make for an enjoyable afternoon and evening, but this is definitely the weakest slate of games through the first 3 weeks of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

If I didn't have a family commitment in Greenville, I'd go check out Tech @ NC State. Should be really interesting. The Wolfpack got the away rivalry game excuse against ECU and Charleston Southern might be a high school but now's the time to show they can challenge Clemson in the ACC.

Edited by texifornia

22 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

A&M is seriously favored by 5.5?  Gonna have to check the site I use.  That seems...odd.

Bettor's thinking they'll have a bounce back against a Miami team that beat a terrible Bethune-Cookman squad that got cooked on the weekend by South Carolina State and beat Southern Miss who haven't look anything special and played them close for one half of football.

Edited by AngryBull

3 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

#6 Oklahoma (2-0) @ Nebraska (1-2) - 11:00, FOX
Again, this week’s slate of games sucks.  This one is listed simply because it’s a “name” matchup, but Nebraska is terrible and has already fired their coach.  OU will go into their Big 12 conference schedule completely untested.  Shockingly, they are only favored by 11.5 here.  I know Nebraska lost a lot of 1 score games under Frost, but man that line seems as off as last week’s USC @ Stanford line was.

Kansas (2-0) @ Houston (1-1), 3:00 ESPNU
I put this game on here mostly as a smart ass, but Kansas does technically lead the Big 12 at this point in the season coming off their huge win on the road at West Virginia.  Houston’s dream of an undefeated season died in overtime at Tech last week.  They are favored by 9.5 so oddsmakers are expecting a decently competitive game.

Texas Tech (2-0) @ #16 NC State (2-0), 6:00 ESPN2
Tech had a nice win over Houston last week and all that is standing between their being undefeated (and probably ranked) for their big home game against our Longhorns next week is a trip to Raleigh, North Carolina.  NC State was lucky to escape week 1 against East Carolina with a win, but oddsmakers still seem to like them as they are favored by 10.5 here.  I think I would expect them to win, but 10.5 feels like too many.

I think all three of these games are super interesting.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska figured out a way to beat OUsux with whatever lame duck coach they have. You just never know how players will react to these mid-season firings so that's a huge wild card in this game.  Watching the first two OU games have left me felling a little underwhelmed.  It could be that I'm just used to seeing OU (under Stoops/Riley) just absolutely murder teams like Kent State and UTEP, but those games didn't really go down like that. Gabriel seems... fine I guess? He's a good player, but when we've seen nothing but future NFL starters and then Caleb Williams spinning the ball for them for nearly a decade now, the drop-off is very noticeable.

With Kansas looking suddenly capable of competing, that trip to Houston should be a fun watch.

And yeah 10.5 seems like WAY too many points on Tech/NC State. I would lay those for sure. Wouldn't be surprised if Tech won outright.

Edited by oSuJeff97

Bettor's thinking they'll have a bounce back against a Miami team that beat a terrible Bethune-Cookman squad that got cooked on the weekend by South Carolina State and beat Southern Miss who haven't look anything special and played them close for one half of football.

I read this twice to make sure I was following.