Happy Birthday John Prine

Litig8r

Lake Marie is one of my favorites.  

I  met John Prine during a load out behind the Aztec theater in San Antonio.  He was really cool about talking to fans.  I hadn't planned on trying to meet him that day so I didn't have anything for him to autograph and missed a great photo opp.  One of my biggest regrets in my life.  I did get a hug from him - so there is that.

I also had a friend that saw him eating dinner at Matt's El Rancho and JP saw that he was dining alone too and invited him over to eat with him.  Unbelievable luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

I sat at the bar next to him at The Peabody in Memphis. I didn’t say anything but I gave him a little nod and he smiled at me. He seemed to enjoy the little duck parade. 

If there’s anybody who would enjoy that, it would be JP. 
saw him at one of his last US shows in Orlando. Cherish the memories of that 12 hour trip in/out there for it. 

fav John prine story though was a rolling stone expose a few yrs back. The writer was riding around with him and asked him what it was like living next to Kelly pickler… “I just see fans drive by, idk her really. All I know is she has 2 trash cans and I have 1”

• 1 month later...

One of the best shows I ever saw was John Prine at the Orpheum. They left the stage and returned for the encore. He was missing his keyboard player. They started playing Ubangi Stomp and all of a sudden the huge pipe organ blares and out of the orchestra pit rises the keyboard player at the helm of this monster instrument. It seemed to take JP aback and then they got into it. They played almost another hour getting into this thing.

• Like 1

Lyricists like John Prine make me glad to be alive.  I get such joy out of listening to one of his songs I've never heard -- I get dusty, every time.  Probably the same feeling literature buffs get when they read a Faulkner or O'Connor or Yeats piece they haven't yet read.  I just can't imagine how someone puts the same 26 letters and all those words together in such a new way with such beauty.  And then, he manages to craft his own unique Priney melodies out of the same 12 fucking notes.  

Unreal.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 3