King Crimson Documentary

TexPx

I’m in.
One of my favorite bands. Where are the other Crimheads?

Definitely in. Fripp is nuts but an amusing and brilliant nut. A lot of my favorite musicians have played in KC. Saw them in Fort Worth in ‘95. First time I saw Fripp was with Gabriel in ‘78. He was using Dusty Rhodes as a pseudonym. He sat on a stool on far stage left, almost offstage.

Fripp is definitely unique. He likes to play seated and in the shadows. He doesn’t like it if you scream and applaud during a song, just sit down and wait until the song is over. And for God’s sake, don’t take any photographs! He was a little more loose back in the day. In one of the recordings on The Great Deceiver box set, he introduces himself as “Bob or ‘Chuckles’ Fripp” and describes the next piece as being intended to simulate the effects one experiences while under the influence of certain chemicals. Or something to that effect. That’s an excellent box set, btw. Recorded during shows in ‘73-‘74, it was their first vault release.

Ive seen King Crimson 7 times — 3 times in ‘95, twice in ‘00, once each in ‘01 and ‘03 —and ProjeKct Two twice in ‘98 — that was Fripp on Guitar, Trey Gunn on bass, and Adrian Belew on drums. I’m also a big Adrian Belew fan and have seen him a bunch of times from solo acoustic shows to playing with his power trio to playing with The Bears, his band from Cincinnati. And of course he’s played with a lot of other big names. I’m partial to his work with Frank Zappa and Talkings but I’ve never seen either of them live, sorry to say.

Back to KC and Fripp. I’ll save for another time my reminiscing about Crimson getting back together and recording and touring again and opening up the vault after Fripp finally won his lawsuit against his record label. But up until then my entire Crimson universe was limited to the 10 albums that were available on CD. Now I have a large collection that’s exceeded only by my collection of live Grateful Dead recordings. I’ve also got some other Fripp albums like Giles, Giles, and Fripp; some Fripp and Eno; the League of Gentlemen; the League of Crafty Guitarists; Fripp with David Sylvian; some ambient Frippertronics stuff. I used to have an album of his with the California Guitar Trio but I sold that quite some time ago. Not that it was bad, it was actually quite good. But I didn’t listen to it all that often. Too many other guys, not enough Fripp.

Anyway, I’ll leave you with Chuckles and his wife covering Metallica. 

Yeah, the Sunday Lunch series is a lot of fun. They play some interesting covers. Who ever expected Bob to play in a jug band?

They do a cover of Heroes by David Bowie. It’s obviously Toyah singing but I’m pretty sure Robert is pick-syncing along to the recording of KC performing it.

Fripp played guitar on the original recording. I’ve posted this before on surly and I posted it on the old site when it first came out. It should go here too. Fripp isn’t big on giving away live Crimson for free but he shared this. It’s pretty cool.

"King Crimson performed Heroes at the Admiralspalast in Berlin as a celebration, a remembrancing and an homage. The concert was thirty nine years and one month after the original sessions at the Hansa Tonstudio overlooking the Berlin Wall. This is released in the Fortieth Anniversary year." - Robert Fripp

• 4 weeks later...

I acknowledge that he only played with King Crimson sparingly over the years, and with all due respect to many fine drummers we've discussed in this forum over the years, but Bill Bruford is maybe the most criminally underrated drummer of all time.  

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/10/2022 at 8:09 AM, YGIFS said:

I acknowledge that he only played with King Crimson sparingly over the years, and with all due respect to many fine drummers we've discussed in this forum over the years, but Bill Bruford is maybe the most criminally underrated drummer of all time.  

I was there.

13127a_9718926e88fd82fadc69389fe71113be.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1