Apple Store sucks

JGrayDBU

Anybody else have this reaction?  

I flew back into Texas for the holidays on Sunday, Dec. 18th at about 5:00 a.m. Needed a screen replaced on a MacBook Air. Went to Best Buy, intelligent dude said go to Apple Store.  Went to store next day, Fort Worth store.  Nice guy tells me price and says expect it done by end of the week.  No problem, until I get four emails from Apple telling me I need to contact them ASAP...and it was way too early to expect completed work.  

When I finally got through, because Apple store doesn't open until 10, and Apple support didn't tell me that, just let the phone ring, ring, etc. Apple store finally answered and said they made a mistake in how they processed the repair.  

I went in early this morning, waited in line outside the store for 25 minutes,(yes there was a line) and by the time I explained and someone allegedly checked, the computer was reportedly "in route" to the store.  

B.S.!!! An hour and 20 minutes after I left the store, I got an email saying the computer was ready.  100% obvious to me the computer was ready before the store opened, they just lazily didn't have it ready until after I left.  

Turds! 

Or, my unannounced visit motivated them to get the computer ready?  I think not! 

And talk about disorganized.  When I returned to pick up the computer there was no line, just a bunch of people going wherever.  A really nice lady in a wheelchair yelled for people to come to her if they needed to register.  I ran up there, got registered, and then kept showing apple employees my email from apple that said the computer was ready, and they finally got tired of that and finally brought my computer to me.  

Yes, I am on old pain in the ass, and I look older than 58.  (I am a young 58)

I read recently, I'll try to find the link, that the Apple Store and Genius Bar took a more transactional and retail posture under Tim Cook that has Steve Jobs rolling in his grave. Steve Jobs wanted the store to be like a Starbucks-- hiring smart, tech-savvy people to give customers a place to hang out or enjoy products, etc.-- whereas Tim Cook hires anyone with a pulse (mostly low-end retail types without much tech experience) and gives them sales quotas at the genius bar and they have an average handle time for talking to customers, etc. Think of your average Verizon or AT&T store employees trying to sell cell phones.

Edited by HamsterHookah

I’ve never had anything but a good experience in the stores. Usually just pick up whatever device I bought online, and then head home. I’m not sure that that I’ve ever spent more than 10 minutes inside a store in one visit.

admittedly I always look around at all of the people who seem to be window shopping.

9 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Apple stores are an unacceptable business model.  How the fuck someone hasn't driven their car or truck into one of them is a mystery to me.  

Why, just a month ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/21/us/car-crash-massachusetts-apple-store.html

A 53-year-old man has been charged with reckless homicide after the authorities said he plowed his S.U.V. through the front window of an Apple store in a suburb of Boston on Monday, killing one person and injuring more than a dozen others.

The man, Bradley Rein, pleaded not guilty in Hingham District Court on Tuesday to one count of reckless homicide by a motor vehicle and one count of reckless operation of a motor vehicle, Timothy J. Cruz, the Plymouth County district attorney, said on social media.

Mr. Cruz said at a news conference on Monday that a driver crashed his 2019 Toyota 4Runner into the store in the Derby Street Shops, a shopping center in Hingham, Mass., which is about a 17-mile drive southeast of Boston.

Mr. Cruz did not say what caused Mr. Rein to smash into the store or how fast the vehicle was going when it crashed through the front of the shop, punching a giant hole in the glass.

Mr. Rein told the authorities that his right foot became “stuck on the accelerator” and that he was unable to stop his car, leading to the crash, WCBV, an ABC affiliate, reported, citing a police report. The Hingham Police Department did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday.

21xp-applestore3-superJumbo.jpg?quality=

And 2013:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/chi-car-drives-into-apple-store-in-lincoln-park-20130113-story.html

An elderly person drove a Lincoln Town Car into the Lincoln Park Apple store this evening leaving one person with minor injures, officials said.

Fire Department paramedics were called to the store at 801 W. North Ave. at about 6:30 p.m. this evening, said Chicago Fire Department Spokesman Joseph Roccasalva.

Chicago police were on the scene and investigating the crash, said Chicago News Affairs Officer Joshua Purkiss. The driver was described as elderly, he said.

The dark-colored sedan drove through the glass walls and made it about four or five feet inside, where it seemed to turn and rested near display cases holding headphones and other accessories, according to witnesses.