2023 Poker in the Rear

Lurch

These legit high level events really give me a perspective of where my game is at. Much like shot taking in big cash games it’s always a slap in the face of reality when I’m clearly one of, if not the, weakest players at the table.

First, it’s fairly obvious when you’re being targeted. We all see it, know it, and feel like there’s not much you can do about it short of either taking some questionable risks or nitting it up, both of which suck in a $5k buyin!

It’s also interesting when you’re just a spectator in a hand and you see cards revealed at showdown that are well outside the range you anticipated. I often find myself asking if I ever could have taken that line as successfully as they did.

Finally, the number of 3bets and 4bets I saw was astounding yesterday. Happened virtually every hand with an EP raiser. I was also surprised how frequently I would see 2x opens (perhaps a big contributor to the 3bets) and even open limps. One guy would then just randomly open 5-6x, often still getting 3bet! It was wild to watch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone come across discussions about odds for winning high hand promotions?

I’m trying to determine what the order of likelihood is for a given table to win:

Limit Holdem: almost every hand gets to the river, which is good because you’ll see all 5 cards, but bad because every hand takes longer to play so you see fewer per hour

No Limit: fewer hands get past flop, much less to the river. More hands per hour than limit, though

PLO: must flop a winner, so only 3 community cards to work with rather than five, BUT you effectively have 6 shots per hand dealt because of the 6 combos in your hand. Probably same number of hands as limit holdem

I’m not sure it mattered, but I was several margaritas in, had A943 when the flop came AAA, and my holdem training had me jam while telling everyone to GTFO. I *should* have checked it through the river to let someone hang themself, as in PLO only the flop matters. In holdem, I could have been screwed by a higher kicker hitting the turn or river

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 6:25 AM, bigup2dahorns said:

I’m not sure what the percentages are but if you travel around the country you will find many places where it is a button straddle. I’ve seen it in Florida and Mississippi. I had been more used to the UTG straddle.

Louisiana/Lake Charles too

On 12/19/2023 at 9:27 PM, Lurch said:

On my 49th birthday, I just hit AAAA9 for $1900

Niiiiiiiiiiice. Good for you. 

Went to TCH last night...not there very long and  lose my first bullet in a bomb pot within the first hr. REBUY!!

Change of dealers and another bomb pot in order.

The dealer gets to talking that him and his girl are gonna go to strip club when he gets off (after midnight) cuz the 4th is his birthday. The table congrats him and everyone says Happy Birthday of course....I'm sitting in seat 9 and I pull out my driver's license, place it on table in front of him and point to the birth date as he is beginning to deal the bomb pot. He sees we share the same birthday.

Good lively table and on the turn I have the nut straight on the lower board (not paired and no flush draw) with two pair up top. Decide to try and isolate a pretty good aggressive player that goes all in by repotting and I getting two callers....River comes out and I thought I only had the two pair up top plus the lower straight, but it turns out I river a straight up top also for a scoop. Not only got back what I had but also my first buy in and around +$300 or so on top of it..... 

The whole table chimed in....(even though it was technically a couple of hrs away still) " I guess it is your birthday too".  Not quite as good as yours, but in for $600, out after midnight for $1500.  Happy Birthday to us both!

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...