Surly Poster's secret bar on East 5th

YGIFS

About a year or so ago, a poster on here revealed he operated a "hidden" bar near East 5th & San Jacinto (presumably in that strip of retailers on the SW corner.  A business colleague of mine is hosting an investor group from out of town and they have a hankering for "secret" bars, because apparently getting wasted and flirting with the staff doesn't count if the address isn't publicly available. 

Anybody remember the place I'm talking about?  I don't do bars anymore but I'm gonna send them to Here nor There, Kinfolk, couple hidden mezcal bars, watertrade, et. al.  But would like to put this place on the list to support a surly poster, plus I know they'll end up nearby having dinner somewhere downtown.  Thanks.  And yes, they are already doing shots and jalapeno poppers at Cheesecake Factory for happy hour.  

Yeah, I know that place.  I meant to type that out in my original post.  But this other place is/was apparently between Brazos and San Jacinto, more likely towards the East/San Jacinto End.  South side of the street.  I think his joint was below that hat shop or hipster men's clothing place.  Like you could literally hit a chip shot at Eddie V's from it.  i sent some friends there when quarantine ended (or maybe right before Covid) and they loved it.  Like a 12-seat place plus bar and one toilet.  He posted on here a few times.  Maybe it shut down during pandemic, I dunno.  But I do know he posted here a few times, I searched a few words but I think he just threw out some posts inside of another thread so it'd take hours to search correctly but I know some frequent posters on here hit the place up more than once.  Thanks though.  Just figured it'd make a good match.

yes, also in addition to the hilarity...can somebody help remind me the name of the joint or put out a bat signal for the poster who mentioned it being his place a few years back?  I can't remember the context but it wasn't an outright bar thread.  Hence, the difficulty finding it.  

On 2/9/2023 at 5:20 PM, YGIFS said:

yes, also in addition to the hilarity...can somebody help remind me the name of the joint or put out a bat signal for the poster who mentioned it being his place a few years back?  I can't remember the context but it wasn't an outright bar thread.  Hence, the difficulty finding it.  

There was a poster here that owned this place, it was really cool but they closed about three years ago.  Possibly what you are talking about.  
Hidden in a barber shop in the middle of downtown Austin is a straight-up speakeasy. The Good Life Bar Bar is located behind a black door at 201 East 5th Street, and serves drinks amidst a colorful history

• Hook 'Em 1

That must have been it.  I knew it was close to that Barber Shop.  My sense of time is so damn distorted from Covid-19 but stands to reason he couldn't stay in business during full quarantine.  Best wishes to him whoever he is.  Thanks for the update.  Will point these guys elsewhere obviously.  If you're out there surly poster, let us know what you're up to next so we can help out.