Dolby Atmos?

Is this something that will stick and that I will want?  We are embarking on new construction and will be pulling wire.  But, unless it is to future-proof for Dolby Atmos, I am not likely to run any wire for in-ceiling speakers.  My current receiver does not support Atmos and I am not likely to replace it any time soon.  When I get to that point, will I want to have wiring in place for Atmos? 

Yes, what you really need is an audio standard supporting a sound channel specifically coming from the ceiling.  

It's the only true way to experience such Atmos-compatible titles such as La La Land, Brave, and My Little Pony: The Movie.

Honestly, who has the right speakers, placement, environment, and calibration to take advantage of all stuff?

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Honestly, who has the right speakers, placement, environment, and calibration to take advantage of all stuff?

When I gave up my dedicated audio space and $10K in stereo equipment a few years ago, I got a firm commitment that I would have full and perpetual control over the HT space in the den.  But, we'll see how that goes, because we all know that pussy always wins.

OK, shifting the discussion a bit, any thoughts on minimum room size/depth to utilize overhead atmos speakers?  I guess even with 5.1, I could put a pair above, or maybe slightly forward, of the listening sweet seat.  But, to really get the benefit of a 7.1.4 setup, how big of a room do I need to have?

I have Atmos (speaker reflecting kind, not in ceiling speakers - have surrounds in ceiling ceiling though). If I had the chance I’d run 3 pairs of wires in ceiling. Front stage, middle and rear. It’s cheap and helps to future proof. 

The auto conversion from the reciver (to ATMOS) is very impressive even on non ATMOS soundtracks

Most ceiling speakers are also very reasonably priced. That way you can put your money into the front channel and center speaker.  The height channels really make a difference on movie surround, music - never used. 

I have a nice 5.1 setup, with wall mounted speakers.  With the new build, I hope to keep them on the walls or on stands.  If I move to 7.1, my preference would be to shift my mains to the rear, and add compatible floor standing speakers as the new mains.  The only ceiling mounted speakers would be for Atmos.  But, the room may not end up large enough to really take advantage of this.  How deep of a room do I need to really utilize a 7.1 setup?