UT, Sec and the TUF

Satchel

It’s absolutely astounding that football realignment could move the needle on higher Ed in Texas when nothing else could:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/government/state-policy/2023/04/20/leveling-playing-field-texas

The Texas Senate passed a bill last Friday to create a multibillion-dollar endowment to fund Texas’ emerging public research universities. 

The endowment, called the Texas University Fund, is the realization of over a decade of negotiations. But it took a flurry of college football drama—along with a record budget surplus—to carry it over the goal line and score a win for the state’s less well-funded research institutions. 

The endeavor got a big boost in 2021, when the University of Texas at Austin announced that it planned to withdraw from the Big 12 NCAA conference and join the Southeastern Conference by 2025. Fans of UT’s in-state conference rivals—Baylor University, Texas Tech University and Texas Christian University—were outraged, and state lawmakers tried to pass a law to block the move

Of the TUF distributions made each budget cycle, 75 percent would come from a Permanent Endowment for Education; Tech and Houston each would receive one-third of that, with the final one-third split between North Texas and Texas State.

You backwards ass dumbfucks want is this way?  Well, that's the way you gets it!  Between this and the dumbing-down of our brand with SEC-level "academics" and every fucking effort at the Capitol to strip down top-tier excellence at UT-Austin.............you braindead fucksticks are getting what you voted for.  

You're children.  It's fucking impossible you're this fucking stupid...but here you are...diplomas in hand.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I guess I should be happy about anything that gets Texas State some extra crumbs of the crumbs as far as Texas higher education is concerned...but it really feels like Dan Patrick is whatever restroom he feels is appropriate pissing on us and calling it rain...

Really hope the slightly more sane Texas House doesn't pass this tenure revoking bullshit

There will probably need to be another conference alignment for this to happen:

Smith clarified that Houston is not currently trying to cut into the PUF revenue shared by UT and A&M. But he said some lawmakers and leaders at other universities are calling for just such a reckoning, saying TUF is only the first step.

“I’ve heard discussion in public meetings and debates from other members who have said, ‘I would rather open up and share the PUF with other universities,’” he said. “They’re saying there will be a day when that happens. But today is not that day.”

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

There will probably need to be another conference alignment for this to happen:

Smith clarified that Houston is not currently trying to cut into the PUF revenue shared by UT and A&M. But he said some lawmakers and leaders at other universities are calling for just such a reckoning, saying TUF is only the first step.

“I’ve heard discussion in public meetings and debates from other members who have said, ‘I would rather open up and share the PUF with other universities,’” he said. “They’re saying there will be a day when that happens. But today is not that day.”

Bobcats to the Pac-12!!!

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

It will. We’re on deck, right after North Carolina. Yay, University of Austin!

I don't think you're right on that.  It's not one of the Speaker's priorities (far from it), and they're getting down to crunch time on things that are far more important.  It's not to say that it won't pass in future sessions; it is to say that I don't think it's going to pass in this one.