Install 32 bit Java (JDK) on Win XP machine

Taking a shot in the dark here, but anyone here know how to troubleshoot such an installation?  I've tried both the online and offline installers for Java 8 and I can't get either one to do anything.  I launch the installers, the hard drive activates for a short bit and stops.  I never get any window or prompt for anything.

I've tried uninstalling the Java that's currently on the machine (old version) through Add/Remove Programs.

I've manually deleted files from the Application Data and Local Settings/Application Data folders.

Same result at every step.  :(

5 hours ago, bernorange said:

The offline installer is a self extracting .EXE named jdk-8u172-windows-i586.exe.  I can see it appear briefly in the processes tab of the task manager, but not in the applications tab.

It's not an application and won't show up in that tab, only in processes. How long is "briefly"? It should be in processes for at least a minute or two. If it's not, time to start digging through logs. Or you can start googling the issue, which is the java install process terminating too quickly.

Briefly = 2-5 seconds.

I checked the jusched.log file in the Local Settings/Temp folder and it's reporting:

[date-time, jdk-8u172-windows-i586.exe (PID: 3440, TID: 1088), wrapper.cpp:335 (WinMain)]

ERROR: Exception with message '' caught

The next two entries show the process rolling back (deleting files) before it ends.  I've searched around and I can't find any references to an empty error message like the one I'm seeing.  I did find some bug reports on the Sun/Java site where someone else reported a similar problem trying to install Java on Win XP and they simply said they don't support Win XP.  So, I've given up.

Two other things you could try.. 

Find an older archive of JDK installations. An older JDK 7 for instance might work. 

OR

Try to find an older OpenJDK installation for Windows (as opposed to the Oracle JDK). Not sure you'd have much better luck as OpenJDK is targeted more for Linux, but I think there are/were ways to build it for Windows.