2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

On 8/26/2023 at 12:17 PM, sidis said:

you seem to either a) be discussing this with someone else in your head you have constructed; or b) failed to consider the contextual basis of the conversation to which i was participating.  the discussion from a couple of pages back was whether or not a ten win season was a reasonable expectation for a floor for the upcoming season.  a number of posters - who apparently believe that posting useless bravado on this message board sufficiently conveys the toughness and vigor of their character - stated that anything less then said 10 win floor was a ridiculous expectation for the upcoming season.

at no point did i say that we would "suck" this year.  you are mischaracterizing what i said in order to project it as an extreme position.  i don't know what your motivation for such a thing would be and i suppose it does not matter.  but there is a significant couloir between saying that we will suck and saying that the typical preseason stupidity from the usual suspects of koolaid doused idiots (who will also be the ones who act hysterically shocked when we drop games like tech and okie state last year) is not based on anything tangible besides hope and ignores some key, specific variables at plays such as losing a game changing running back.

quinn was not a true freshman.  and while i hope he makes a great leap forward from his redshirt freshman year to his sophomore year, the presumption that he will do so that seems to be so popular here is purely speculative based on him finally grooming himself and losing the white trash dildo look.  that's a joke by the way in case you need it spelled out.  my speculation is not based only on bijan and quinn, it's on the offensive line showing no ability to dominate in run blocking, a few games of really poor pass blocking (like the baylor game discussed ad nauseam above), the defensive line's inability to convert pressures into sacks, the defensive backfield's struggles in coverage, and our head coach's long career of underperforming and consistently dropping games he shouldn't...and a consistent inability to make adjustments in-game after the first quarter.

i agree with you that i will take an elite line, qb, and receiver group than an elite rb.  i would take an elite oline over all of those other ones combined.  you are presuming we have those things.  i'm simply not yet based on the evidence.  what i do know is that we did lose an elite rb and a really good rb who both made a difference quite a bit last year.  hopefully those other units do become elite and it mitigates the impact of losing them.  also hoping that some of the super talented guys from the last two recruiting classes can convert it to play on the field.  an anthony hill or a derek williams coming in for and making major impact right away can change shit really fast.

but ultimately, i can't agree that anything fewer than ten wins is an unreasonable expectation for this team. until games like at tcu, at iowa state, at houston, etc... can become presumed wins like they were from 01-09, that's not really sensible.  and i have no reason to believe they are just yet.

God fucking damnit I hate being right. 

• Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...