2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

Just now, Boss Hogg said:

That’s why I asked on the other thread about his knee injury. I hope it was just a clean ACL and not combined with some other tears where he won’t end up the same. 

Well, they did kinda make a point of him being declared fit. I'll be surprised if Neylor doesn't move on up as fall practice proceeds.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

A little surprised to see Neyor behind Cain. 

Missed the season and missed spring. This is  the typical "You have to earn it" stuff. This will likely be fixed after his first week of practice without a green jersey

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Also, it looks like we’re a Banks injury away from shit going sideways. Have to think they would shuffle things around and not roll Kirkland out there if that happened. 

On the other hand, if Quinn and Maalik both go down, do we burn Manning's shirt, or go with Wright? Maybe Red could run the Wild Horn?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Davis Lane said:

Wright first.

Let's not go down the Mack/Squints road again.

The last thing I heard about Wright is that he has the accuracy of Barney Fife. There was a hope he'd transfer but it appears he's more likely to graduate first. If Texas is playing that dude in any meaningful way, light the cigarettes, because we've already been fucked.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Was "Debbie Downer" taken as a handle already? Jesus. I think I've seen all four of your posts so far on this site and each becomes more depressing than the one before it. You'll be contemplating a Marshall level tragedy by your 20th post at this rate.

My bad.

SHOW ME A LOSS!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

/s

Also, comparing Arch to Squints is ... not good. 

My comment was more of a comparison between Mack and Sark's coaching mentality.

Besides that, Squints was the National Gatorade Player of the Year. 

It's too bad that didn't work out.

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

Sark’s press conference should be airing any minute now on LHN and TexasSports.com

We’ll also hear from both coordinators. That won't be live, but instead posted on Youtube later.

Here's a look at the fall camp depth chart from Jeff Howe on 247.

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian has had two full talent acquisition cycles to reel in blue-chip high school prospects and mine the NCAA transfer portal for gold in his effort to end the Longhorns’ stretch of more than a decade away from the top tier of college football’s national championship contenders. How Texas navigates a 12-game schedule in the regular season will ultimately determine what the program’s foundation as Sarkisian guides the Longhorns into the SEC in 2024, but Horns247’s depth chart projection for what things should look like when fall camp opens on Wednesday shows the head coach has the pieces in place to end the longest drought without a conference championship on the Forty Acres.

Ten starters are back on offense and a slew of standouts return to one of the nation’s most improved defenses in 2022, which helps justify the typical sky-high expectations Texas faces on an annual basis. The ability to publish a three-deep depth chart projection shows how effective the work of Sarkisian’s organization to turn over the roster has been and provides some measure of proof that the Longhorns are deep and talented to the extent that personnel shouldn’t hold them back in their quest for the program’s first Big 12 title since 2009.

QUARTERBACK

1. Quinn Ewers, RS-Soph. (6-2, 195)

2. Maalik Murphy, RS-Fr. (6-5, 238)

3. Arch Manning, Fr.-HS (6-4, 212)

Other Scholarship Longhorns: Charles Wright, RS-Soph. (6-1, 203)

RUNNING BACK

1. Jonathon Brooks, RS-Soph. (6-0, 207)

2. Jaydon Blue, Soph. (6-0, 191)

3. CJ Baxter, Fr.-HS (6-1, 218)

Other Scholarship Longhorns: Savion Red, Soph. (5-10, 214); Keilan Robinson, Sr. (5-9, 188); Tre Wisner, Fr.-HS (6-0, 185)

WIDE RECEIVER

1. Xavier Worthy, Jr. (6-1, 172)

2. Johntay Cook II, Fr.-HS (6-0, 186)

1. Jordan Whittington, RS-Sr. (6-1, 204)

2. DeAndre Moore Jr., Fr.-HS (6-0, 194)

1. Adonai Mitchell, Jr-TR (6-4, 196)

2. Casey Cain, RS-Soph. (6-3, 197)

3. Isaiah Neyor, Sr. (6-3, 215)

Other Scholarship Longhorns: Ryan Niblett, Fr.-HS (5-10, 183)

TIGHT END

1. Ja'Tavion Sanders, Jr. (6-4, 243)

2. Gunnar Helm, Jr. (6-5, 250)

3. Juan Davis, Jr. (6-4, 219)

Other Scholarship Longhorns: Spencer Shannon, Fr.-HS (6-7, 241); Will Randle, Fr.-HS (6-4, 235)

OFFENSIVE LINE

Left Tackle

1. Kelvin Banks, Soph. (6-4, 324)

2. Payton Kirkland, Fr.-HS (6-6, 350)

3. Andre Cojoe, Fr.-HS (6-6, 355)

Left Guard

1. Hayden Conner, Jr. (6-5, 320)

2. Neto Umeozulu, RS-Fr. (6-4, 311)

3. Max Merril, RS-Soph. (6-4, 294)

Center

1. Jake Majors, RS-Jr. (6-3, 315)

2. Connor Robertson, RS-Fr. (6-4, 319)

Right Guard

1. Cole Hutson, Soph. (6-5, 318)

2. DJ Campbell, Soph. (6-3, 343)

3. Malik Agbo, RS-Fr. (6-4, 294)

Right Tackle

1. Christian Jones, RS-Sr. (6-6, 321)

2. Cameron Williams, Soph. (6-5, 369)

3. Jaydon Chatman, Fr.-HS (6-4, 308)

Other Scholarship Longhorns: Trevor Goosby, Fr.-HS (6-7, 285); Sawyer Goram-Welch, RS-Jr. (6-4, 307); Connor Stroh, Fr.-HS (6-4, 364)

EDGE

1. Barryn Sorrell, Jr. (6-4, 261) 

2. J'Mond Tapp, RS-Fr. (6-3, 266)

3. Kristopher Ross, RS-Fr. (6-2, 255)

1. Justice Finkley, Soph. (6-2, 250)

2. Ethan Burke, Soph. (6-6, 257)

3. Colton Vasek, Fr.-HS (6-5, 242)

Other Scholarship Longhorns: Tausili Akana, Fr.-HS (6-4, 209); Billy Walton III, Fr.-HS (6-3, 225)

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

1. T'Vondre Sweat, RS-Sr. (6-4, 362)

2. Alfred Collins, Sr. (6-5, 317)

3. Aaron Bryant, RS-Fr. (6-2, 301)

1. Byron Murphy II, Jr. (6-1, 308)

2. Vernon Broughton, RS-Jr. (6-4, 291)

3. Zac Swanson, RS-Fr. (6-4, 270)

Other Scholarship Longhorns: Jaray Bledsoe, RS-Fr. (6-4, 274); Trill Carter, Sr.-TR (6-2, 300) Sydir Mitchell, Fr.-HS (6-6, 335)

LINEBACKER

1. Jaylan Ford, Sr. (6-3, 242)

2. Jett Bush, Sr. (6-2, 242)

3. Liona Lefau, Fr.-HS (6-1, 227)

1. David Gbenda, Sr. (6-0, 225)

2. Morice Blackwell Jr., Jr. (6-1, 208)

3. Anthony Hill, Fr.-HS (6-3, 234)

Other Scholarship Longhorns: Derion Gullette, Fr.-HS (6-3, 231); S'Maje Burrell, Fr.-HS (6-0, 219)

Don't miss a minute of coverage of the most highly-anticipated preseason on the Forty Acres in over a decade with a Horns247 subscription! Sign up for an annual subscription today with our special 75% off offer!

CORNERBACK

1. Ryan Watts, Sr. (6-3, 213)

2. Malik Muhammad, Fr.-HS (6-0, 181)

1. Terrance Brooks, Soph. (6-0, 200)

2. Gavin Holmes, Jr.-TR (5-11, 177)

3. X'Avion Brice, RS-Fr. (6-1, 183)

STAR (NICKEL)

1. Jahdae Barron, Sr. (5-11, 192)

2. Austin Jordan, Soph. (6-0, 198)

3. Jaylon Guilbeau, Soph. (6-0, 180)

SAFETY

1. Jerrin Thompson, Sr. (6-0, 191)

2. Jalen Catalon, Sr.-TR (5-10, 202)

3. Michael Taaffe, Soph. (6-0, 189)

1. Kitan Crawford, Sr. (5-11, 200)

2. B.J. Allen Jr., RS-Fr. (6-1, 205)

3. Larry Turner-Gooden, RS-Fr. (6-0, 204)

Other Scholarship Longhorns: Jelani McDonald, Fr.-HS (6-2, 198); Warren Roberson, Fr-HS (6-0, 193); Derek Williams Jr., Fr.-HS (6-2, 191)

KICKER

1. Bert Auburn, Jr. (6-0, 183)

2. Will Stone, Soph. (6-0, 194)

PUNTER

1. Ryan Sanborn, Sr-TR (6-3, 211)

SNAPPER

1. Lance St. Louis, Soph. (6-0, 219)

My God.

They're all Freshmen and Sophomores outside of the linebackers.

We are still very, VERY young.

But we are getting better.

This will be a fun year to watch, but I hate that the fans are basically already expecting a bunch of underclassmen to win ten games.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The last thing I heard about Wright is that he has the accuracy of Barney Fife. There was a hope he'd transfer but it appears he's more likely to graduate first. If Texas is playing that dude in any meaningful way, light the cigarettes, because we've already been fucked.

If y'all catch me smoking we're fucked. 

I don't smoke and I'll be gagging for months just to over the sting.

Did somebody say knock on wood?

Oh and it's good to know CTJ doesn't have me ignore.

Edited by Davis Lane
Props to CTJ
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

I guess it would depend on whether Wright and Red go down as well. For example, they might both get mangled in a wood chipper or something like that.

/s (obviously)

Not sure "mangled" would be the proper description of the result of a trip through a wood chipper. Recommend watching Fargo.

Edited by Tex Long
Can't type for shit
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What worries me more is who will be QB2 in 2024 if Ewers goes pro and one of Murphy or Manning transfer after the other wins the Spring QB competition. Who is in that room, other than Austin's own Charlie Wright or true freshman Trey Owens? Do we go for a transfer, and what QB worth a damn would transfer to play backup?

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

My God.

They're all Freshmen and Sophomores outside of the linebackers.

We are still very, VERY young.

But we are getting better.

This will be a fun year to watch, but I hate that the fans are basically already expecting a bunch of underclassmen to win ten games.

7 out of 11 starters on offense are upper classman (and that isn't even including Ewers and Brooks, who are both in their third years), and 9 out of 11 on defense are upper classman. We are young in some spots but it's not really that bad.  

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

What worries me more is who will be QB2 in 2024 if Ewers goes pro and one of Murphy or Manning transfer after the other wins the Spring QB competition. Who is in that room, other than Austin's own Charlie Wright or true freshman Trey Owens? Do we go for a transfer, and what QB worth a damn would transfer to play backup?

Isn't NIL buckage supposed to dissuade players from transfer portaling?

36 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Also, it looks like we’re a Banks injury away from shit going sideways. Have to think they would shuffle things around and not roll Kirkland out there if that happened. 

Cam Williams is cross training at both tackle positions. He'll back up either Banks or Jones if needed. Before Kirkland. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Isn't NIL buckage supposed to dissuade players from transfer portaling?

I can't see either Murphy or Manning sticking around if they're not starting, but I'm just some random dude on the internet. Someone here probably knows much more than me about it. 

4 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I can't see either Murphy or Manning sticking around if they're not starting, but I'm just some random dude on the internet. Someone here probably knows much more than me about it. 

I can see Manning staying if Murphy is QB1, but not vice-versa. Really hope we see Murphy play some meaningful time this season - he did do good in that spring game.

Of course, I also thought Casey's spring looked like he'd be the man... 

• Hook 'Em 3

I can see Manning staying if Murphy is QB1, but not vice-versa. Really hope we see Murphy play some meaningful time this season - he did do good in that spring game.

Of course, I also thought Casey's spring looked like he'd be the man... 

Fuck that. I think you mean you hope to see him actually run the offense in garbage time at the end of multiple blowouts.

19 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Fuck that. I think you mean you hope to see him actually run the offense in garbage time at the end of multiple blowouts.

No, I want to see QB2 have real snaps with the first team. Preferably, in the first half. Get up two or three scores, and let him have at it. Waiting until Q4 with a five score lead and playing with scrubs doesn't get him ready. Coaches useta do that, once upon a time, but now they all act like QB1 will never get dinged. Won't happen, but I'd like to see it.

No, I want to see QB2 have real snaps with the first team. Preferably, in the first half. Get up two or three scores, and let him have at it. Waiting until Q4 with a five score lead and playing with scrubs doesn't get him ready. Coaches useta do that, once upon a time, but now they all act like QB1 will never get dinged. Won't happen, but I'd like to see it.

Did they? I’m not sure if I’ve seen a coach throw in a backup qb for a series in a competitive game just for “experience”. You see it some when a team has more of a 2-qb system or when a qb competition bleeds over into the season. 

Seems like one of those things that fans always clamor for but there is a reason it never actually happens. Imagine how much shit Sark would get if he pulled Quinn for a series with a 17 point lead only to have Murphy come in and turn the ball over or go 3 and out and it leads to points the other way. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Nobody does that. Imagine pulling Banks out in the 1st Q to give Kirkland some live reps. Not to mention is is more likely that Arch is the starter next year, assuming Ewers is gone. 

Edited by Codaxx

18 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Sounds like you watched a lot of Spurrier's Florida teams in the past. 

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

On the other hand, if Quinn and Maalik both go down, do we burn Manning's shirt, or go with Wright? Maybe Red could run the Wild Horn?

Arch isn't staying 4 years, much less 5. Whether he has an official red shirt year or not and how he is classified is irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Did they? I’m not sure if I’ve seen a coach throw in a backup qb for a series in a competitive game just for “experience”. You see it some when a team has more of a 2-qb system or when a qb competition bleeds over into the season. 

Seems like one of those things that fans always clamor for but there is a reason it never actually happens. Imagine how much shit Sark would get if he pulled Quinn for a series with a 17 point lead only to have Murphy come in and turn the ball over or go 3 and out and it leads to points the other way. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Nobody does that. Not to mention is is more likely that Arch is the starter next year, assuming Ewers is gone. 

They don't, and for the most part it doesn't matter because most QB1s don't often get injured badly enough to miss more than a few plays. If the backups do nothing more than hand off in garbage time, it seems like they take at least a possession or two to get going if  and when QB1 goes down. 

4 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

If the backups do nothing more than hand off in garbage time, it seems like they take at least a possession or two to get going if  and when QB1 goes down. 

So your solution to this problem is give away those possessions in the middle of a game that is still in doubt?

• Haha 1