2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

20 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

Arch isn't staying 4 years, much less 5. Whether he has an official red shirt year or not and how he is classified is irrelevant.

Lots of scenarios where Arch might be here for 4yrs if he redshirts in 2023

• Peyton 4yrs at Tennessee
  • Eli 4yrs at Ole Miss
  • Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

Arch isn't staying 4 years, much less 5. Whether he has an official red shirt year or not and how he is classified is irrelevant.

What if Malik is just better next year? I doubt Arch transfers. Then there's a decent chance he's here for four to get the reps.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The last thing I heard about Wright is that he has the accuracy of Barney Fife. There was a hope he'd transfer but it appears he's more likely to graduate first. If Texas is playing that dude in any meaningful way, light the cigarettes, because we've already been fucked.

Wright went to AHS, his parents are Horns, he is living his best life in Austin, he will never transfer. He is going to chill here at UT & graduate. Waste of scholarship. This 100% was a Herman desperation move in his last season. Good kid, but by no stretch is he at the level of a QB for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, BERT said:

Sounds like you watched a lot of Spurrier's Florida teams in the past. g to Safetty 

It's worse than that. In my playing days, we had limited substitution - if you left the field, you couldn't come back until the next quarter. So after a change of possession, we stayed on the field and played O or D. When we did go off, it was usually the whole team, so there would be 11 new guys come in, obviously including the QB (or TB - yes, some teams still ran single-wing). In fact, it wasn't unusual for one team to run mostly and another to pass mostly, so you'd have a running QB and a passing QB. Regardless of the offense, most teams ran a 6-2-2-1 defense, with the QB going to safety, halfbacks to dback, fullback and one guard to linebacker, and the rest of the OL to DL.

LSU won the MNC one year (I think '58) with three squads, one specializing in offense, one for both ways and one specializing in defense. They were designated the Go Team, White Team, and the Chinese Bandits.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

So your solution to this problem is give away those possessions in the middle of a game that is still in doubt?

You make it sound like a Bad Thing. But that's because your premise is that the backup will definitely fuck up, and that is not necessarily the case. The unexpected and unprepared entry into a game is going to cause most QBs to be unready, and particularly so if they enter in the middle of a series. When it's planned, he - and the team on the field - will be in much better shape to play well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Wright went to AHS, his parents are Horns, he is living his best life in Austin, he will never transfer. He is going to chill here at UT & graduate. Waste of scholarship. This 100% was a Herman desperation move in his last season. Good kid, but by no stretch is he at the level of a QB for Texas.

Will he be a coach, or a mortgage/insurance salesman?

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

So your solution to this problem is give away those possessions in the middle of a game that is still in doubt?

You’re talking to the same guy who called for Sam to be benched so Casey fucking Thompson could get more reps with the first team. He spouts this theory every offseason and can never figure out why no coach utilizes his clearly ingenious idea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Give TL a break, he obviously played in the era of leather helmets or at a minimum, no face masks, so those concussions took a toll. ;) 

Leather, no. Face masks, single bar. Concussions, no. 

Still suffering from watching Squints trying to find his helmet. Goddammit, I want the backup ready when Ewers gets squashed flat again.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Leather, no. Face masks, single bar. Concussions, no. 

Still suffering from watching Squints trying to find his helmet. Goddammit, I want the backup ready when Ewers gets squashed flat again.

Sark is managing a Heisman campaign this year.  Ewers ain’t taking a series off in the first half of any game.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Sark is managing a Heisman campaign this year.  Ewers ain’t taking a series off in the first half of any game.

Prolly right. If it would happen at all, it would be 38-0 over Rice with 2 minutes 'til Half. But it wouldn't be with the rest of the starters...

5 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

He was recruited to be a career backup. There are worse uses of scholarships than adding a stable backstop to the QB room in this day and age. Sark would seem to agree given they are taking that kid from Cy Fair this cycle.

Edited by gmr548

The 3-deep list is good. Hopefully, we're at the stage where an injury or two won't cripple the team. I'd also like to see projected Special Teams, beyond just the kickers/punters. 
That's the best 3 deep I've seen in a long ass time. The D may be a little lacking in superstars, but simply looking at the names it seems they have a chance to match the offense when all is said and done.

I may have sipped a bit of Kool aid this off season. #koolaidbath
  • Hook 'Em 1

Prolly right. If it would happen at all, it would be 38-0 over Rice with 2 minutes 'til Half. But it wouldn't be with the rest of the starters...
My dream is we bury Rice in the first half and then come out after halftime with Maliik and Arch mopping up until the clock runs out.
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

He was recruited to be a career backup. There are worse uses of scholarships than adding a stable backstop to the QB room in this day and age. Sark would seem to agree given they are taking that kid from Cy Fair this cycle.

This.  And, his grandfather is one of the most influential professors in UT history.  The kid can have 2 scholarships because he satisfies two roles.  I love that he is on the team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Alan_Wright

Edited by Daichee Bell
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Whatever is going on with Red, they aren’t saying a damned thing about it. Nahlin should not have said anything, but he needs everyone to know that he “knows” things. What a fucking imbecile. 

Anything on Derek Williams? On one of the recent podcasts, Bobby was talking up Warren Roberson as a possible solution if Catalon is still questionable. I would've thought Williams would be the better candidate...

4 hours ago, ousux said:
5 hours ago, Tex Long said:

My dream is we bury Rice in the first half and then come out after halftime with Maliik and Arch mopping up until the clock runs out.

In the Q package

10 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Nobody does it any more, but Fred Akers used to sub in guys in the first half all the time - at all positions.

4 hours ago, Daichee Bell said:

This.  And, his grandfather is one of the most influential professors in UT history.  The kid can have 2 scholarships because he satisfies two roles.  I love that he is on the team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Alan_Wright

He has no relation to CAW actually, unless he’s a cousin I didn’t know about.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Lots of scenarios where Arch might be here for 4yrs if he redshirts in 2023

• Peyton 4yrs at Tennessee
  • Eli 4yrs at Ole Miss

Peyton graduated 26 years ago and Eli graduated 20 years ago.

the only scenario where he stays at Texas for 4 years is if he gets hurt or isn't a good NFL prospect. that's it. basically no one who is a first round pick at QB stays in college an extra year.

8 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Anything on Derek Williams? On one of the recent podcasts, Bobby was talking up Warren Roberson as a possible solution if Catalon is still questionable. I would've thought Williams would be the better candidate...

I wouldn’t read anything into that. They’re high on all of the guys coming in, but they’re easily the most invested in Williams. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Whatever is going on with Red, they aren’t saying a damned thing about it. Nahlin should not have said anything, but he needs everyone to know that he “knows” things. What a fucking imbecile. 

he's been doing it this way for what almost two decades? its the Eric Nahlin way.

someone has to take the torch from Ketch on that front before he is found fused into his couch by Atmos personnel investigating a gas leak after being dead for two weeks and no one missing him (outside of Mailbox357)

13 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Yep - I was just responding as folks seem to think he would ever transfer. He won't. I wouldn't be shocked to see him stay for grad school as back up as well. Nothing against the kid, I just never want him to have to play a meaningful down of football at UT.

14 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Half the new fall camp thread is arguing over the backup qbs, including when to play them, in what order, and which ones will be gone in 24. 

never change surly

That's better than arguing over who the starter should be.  

Sorry if it was mentioned already but Jalen Catalon is a full go for the start of camp. 

Was that in doubt? My understanding was he practiced in the spring to learn the system and was shut down out of caution.

It will be more notable if he holds up into conference play.
  • Like 1