2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Bobby seems to have drunk the koolaid too.  He's usually pretty conservative with his picks.  If I had to bet my house on a number it would be 9-3.  Just don't trust the head guy.  Being wrong would be fan nirvana.  

Yep, Bobby's change in outlook is a lot of what I'm basing my optimism on.  He's seen every Texas team up close and personal since the early 90s. So he's a good point of reference to gage this year's prospects on.  Additionally, he's typically tempered in his prognostications and is usually anything but a sunshine pumper which is rare for a 995er. Before that list that @closetohumping put up there, Bobby was routinely saying he'd be happy with 9-3 for this season on their YouTube shows so I'm pleasantly surprised he's upped it to 10-2. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/26/2023 at 6:00 PM, Hookem2147 said:

My point wasn’t to validate Steve Sarkisian’s career. It was to punch holes in the narrative that what you accomplished in some random 2010 or 2012 season is somehow indicative of how this season is going to go.

Coaches flash and develop at different rates, kinda like players. And context matters. It’s a whole lot easier to win at Texas than 0-12 Washington kinda like it’s a lot easier to win at TCU than Cal.

I’m a Sark fan, but this is largely bullshit. Great coaches often do NOT develop at different rates. They damn near invariably show massive success in year 2. And, winning at TCU and Texas isn’t easier than Cal and Washington. 

46 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:
We are gonna fucking kill Rice. Just need to come out of the game healthy.

Murphy and Manning split the second half...3rd and 4th quarter respectively.

I think Arch wants to RS, but that’s just a pure guess.

Edited by lilMAC25

23 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

No shit. Tommy Tuberville and Gene Chizic and Ed Orgeron have won national championships. You can't convince me that those men are such masterful field generals/tacticians.

*Chizik. Tuberville never won a title. 

8 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i'm not sure thats correct.  didnt both herman and charlie have higher ranked recruiting classes than sark has had?

It’s already been addressed but Sark’s are far more highly ranked (like peak Mack numbers) and are real with significant attrition with both Strong’s and Herman’s classes. Neither of those gave a shit about OL. 

8 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

You seem to feel very strongly about this. I would think that If his speed is a disadvantage at cb then his length and coverage skill would be an advantage at safety. Especially considering how the nfl wr seems to be trending more speedy vs big body.

You have zero idea what you’re talking about. Watts moving to safety serves neither him nor Texas well. The guy you’re responding to laid it all out for you to just read, but you responded with this horseshit. I’ll spell it out for you: corners are much more highly drafted and paid. Watts is a corner. Ian Boyd has no penis. 

8 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

The difference is that Sarks classes have high OL/DL (both) and QB talent.

Stronk’s had DL talent.

Herman’s had skill position talent.

Sark’s classes seem well balanced 

or maybe I’m drinking the KoolAid

Strong had average DLs with no Edge, decent LBs, and solid DBs. If attrition played a role, his classes would be at bottom of Top 15. Herman avoided both lines like the plague, and yet was significantly better than Strong. Sark’s last two seasons have been Top 3, complete classes. He has significantly upgraded the talent, which was at low points when Mack left and when Herman left. For the first time since ‘06, we are landing OL recruits worth a shit. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

If you can’t see the difference in someone like Herman and someone like Sark, I don’t know what to tell you.

Yes. All are “arrogant” in that they're confident in their abilities/coaching/scheme/evals. Herman is a smartass cockdaddy that you want to see fail. 
image.gif.afff02c0285347ea104f3f6f28899ca1.gif

Edited by Porterhouse

Regarding the Watts convo, there are defensive schemes where slower but bigger physical corners can fit in the NFL, and he'll likely get a shot with one of those teams to try and stick at corner before having to move inside 

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

Regarding the Watts convo, there are defensive schemes where slower but bigger physical corners can fit in the NFL, and he'll likely get a shot with one of those teams to try and stick at corner before having to move inside 

He is more of a zone corner. You dont want him in the NFL playing man. The Safety conversation on Watts has been around, since his time at Ohio State. He was moved from CB to Safety at OSU, when Procter went down. He excels around the LOS, rerouting WRs and in the run game. 

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He is more of a zone corner. You dont want him in the NFL playing man. The Safety conversation on Watts has been around, since his time at Ohio State. He was moved from CB to Safety at OSU, when Procter went down. He excels around the LOS, rerouting WRs and in the run game. 

He can play in a trailing man coverage like 2man, which teams will use big corners like him in against non-running QB offenses 

I wish he excelled at sacking Bryce young…

That one play aside, he’s a good player. If catalon goes down we have a big drop off at our 3rd safety position until the freshman is ready, and it sounds like we have good cb depth we could use to backfill his spot. But maybe he sucks at safety, idk.
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, burdine said:

I like Sark's staff better than Herman's.

I like his OL/DL philosophy and recruiting better than Herman's.

I like his player development way better than Herman's (Ojomo, Coburn, Overshown, Christian Jones, and more)

I like his QB room better than Herman's.

I like what he did as OC at Bama.

So why is the win/loss record nothing special so far and why has the offense had mediocre 2nd halves?

My guess is that he is having trouble being BOTH a Head Coach and an OC at the same time. That is why our opening scripts look great and then we trail off some later in the game.  It feels like a bandwidth issue for Sark.  

This could continue to be a problem or it could get fixed by:

• Sark learning to manage it better with 2 years of experience.
  • Sark hires an OC and focuses on being a head coach.

Both of those solutions seem plausible and do not require another program reboot.

I'd rather have to go find a capable OC than find a replacement head coach and do a full program reboot.

So basically, to me, this is the year we find out if Sark can do both or we need to get an OC to run the offense and free Sark up to just be a Head Coach.

Black Widow Avengers GIF

Agree with everything you've posted.  It's befuddling. 

11 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

If you can’t see the difference in someone like Herman and someone like Sark, I don’t know what to tell you.

I see a lot of people who have no real connection with either making assumptions.  Many people wanted Urban Meyer as well.  I am sure he is humble as shit as long as he was winning for your program.  And an arrogant asshole when he wasn't.

18 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Bobby seems to have drunk the koolaid too.  He's usually pretty conservative with his picks.  If I had to bet my house on a number it would be 9-3.  Just don't trust the head guy.  Being wrong would be fan nirvana.  

If you talked to Bobby Burton in person the last two years, he was as down as any of us on Texas's chances to win games, and Sark's ability to turn things around. He was down on the roster, everything. 

So when you see his optimism, and you know how conservative he is, it's interesting to keep in mind his shift in belief over the last 12 months as well. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you talked to Bobby Burton in person the last two years, he was as down as any of us on Texas's chances to win games, and Sark's ability to turn things around. He was down on the roster, everything. 

So when you see his optimism, and you know how conservative he is, it's interesting to keep in mind his shift in belief over the last 12 months as well. 

Bobby has been slobbering over this team since the start of the fall camp. It's gruntling, for sure. He's not wrong that they have more talent then Texas has had in more than a decade.

We had the large ol class with Agbo, etc. We haven’t had that on the DL until this year. I’m pretty optimistic that we will have a number of those guys from the 2024 class develop. For me, the bigger question will be next year - We will probably need a 1 yr. portal rental as a stopgap. 
Hopefully we'll be actively shopping around for that guy during the season and put out subtle feelers. If Lincoln "jerky brisket" Riley can lure a 5* DL away from the national champs to play on a team that's all offense all the time, (and literally across the country) why can't we do the same?

18 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

So if we struggle to beat Rice until putting them away in the 4th and the defense gives up some points what's your revised W/L prognosis for the season?

Anyone revising their W/L prediction based off game 1 of a 12 game season is moronic unless we go out and look like literal crap and play at a level that is so bad we almost lose or do lose. A 38-7 type win where we are vanilla and pack it in during the second half to look ahead to Bama isn't going to surprise me just like a 63-10 smacking wouldn't surprise me. Neither impacts my long term outlook of the season, especially when considering that teams can get better or worse as a season progresses.

Traffic in general is down compared to last year but not by more than 8-10% on any given day. Big days are still bigger than before it’s just the slow times overall have less steady traffic. Not as much to talk about since sark isn’t letting anyone see shit and isn’t giving anything to care about pre season. 

Camp is officially over as of today. It’s full practices allowed.