City maintenance tearing up my yard

Sandman

I had a letter put on my front door last week, stating that my city (not in Texas FWIW) had contracted them to replace a sanitary sewer pipe in my area. The letter stated that they would excavate a hole in my yard and take down some fence panels but when they were done, they would put everything back as it was. I called the project manager, who listed his contact info on the letter, and asked for further details. He said the same thing, that they would determine where the pipe is and dig a hole and blah blah. I was satisfied with what he said.

I came home Monday and found that my yard looked like a WW1 battlefield. I get it, dirt comes out of a hole and it has to go somewhere, no biggie. But the area in which they're working is right along my back fence, where there happens to be a large tree. There was a large backhoe in there and to get the backhoe where it needed to be, they have cut off a decent sized portion of my tree. Now, I don't like this tree and it is starting to lean towards my neighbor's yard and I'd love to have it cut down. The area of the tree they have cut off is near the bottom, so I'm concerned it might be a little top heavy. Combine that with the dirt being dug up and now I wonder if that make is even more unstable.

I was thinking about calling the project manager again and telling him my concerns and see if they would just cut the tree down. I'd even be willing to kick in a little cash but I'm not gonna say that unless he brought it up. I don't want to just be some complaining Karen but if they hadn't come in and dug shit up, I'm not having these concerns about the tree right now. 

Would asking for them to cut the tree down be an asshole move? 

1 hour ago, luke duke said:

I’d ask for compensation for ruining your favorite tree, in addition to removal costs.

I mean, I took all of my resume photos next to this tree. It's like family!

I called the project manager and explained how the tree has been cut up and how I'm concerned about the stability and would like it to be removed. I think he was caught off guard and was expecting me to bitch about how much I loved the tree. He said he would talk to his superintendent and one of them would be in contact. 

• Hook 'Em 1