2024 Pro Cycling Season

G650

I highly recommend the final cyclocross race of the season that pitted Wout van Aert and MvdP against one another last weekend. Even if you've never watched cyclocross, it's easy to pick up, and there are some thrilling moments of pure power in this race.

Access to cycling in the United States has become an absolute nightmare, but fortunately it is on YouTube. I've time-stamped it to the start of the men's race.

https://youtu.be/BkrCjEllKnA?si=3-mmGgQ8zqrJ-3H0&t=5756

The FloBikes commentary in the link above is pure shit, so I recommend watching it on Eurosport/Discovery+ (UK-based) if possible. 

Edited by SimkinsMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vuelta lineup announced.

https://www.lavuelta.es/en/news/2024/la-vuelta-24-teams-selection/40850

Not sure if anyone has been keeping up, but it's pretty wild over at the Ruta de Sol. All stages cancelled except for a TT today, farmers protests have taken so much of the Guardia Civil they don't have enough to man the race.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Whitewater Horn said:

Tadej doing Tadej things.  What a dude. 

I feel like this is what the guys who got to watch Merckx and Coppi must have felt like.

27 minutes ago, G650 said:

I feel like this is what the guys who got to watch Merckx and Coppi must have felt like.

No kidding. It’s been a minute since there’s  been someone who’s a legit threat to win any road race he enters, whether it’s a one day race or stage race. There cherry on top is that he’s not a robot with a dishrag personality.  He’s funny, doesn’t take his own image too seriously, and his love to race his bike and give his all is totally genuine and undeniable. We don’t get many of his ilk. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Paris-Nice starts tomorrow. Seven stages.  I think Matteo Jorgenson stands a very good chance of winning. 

I mean, I would love to see it, but that is a bold call.

He did look great on Puy de Dome last year

11 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Paris-Nice starts tomorrow. Seven stages.  I think Matteo Jorgenson stands a very good chance of winning. 

It would be cool to see, but an overall win may be tough considering this field. His 2024 results have been okay. We’ll get a better look at his form soon.  I think top 5 would be a good result for Matteo. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, G650 said:

I mean, I would love to see it, but that is a bold call.

He did look great on Puy de Dome last year

He's got the strongest team and they are all in on working for him. He's in third place, four seconds back, after today.

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

38 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

He's got the strongest team and they are all in on working for him. He's in third place, four seconds back, after today.

For sure, but he has to beat Roglic and Evenepoel. That's a hell of an ask. I'm pulling for him though, I'm a big fan.

14 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

He certainly got off to a great start with Olav getting the stage win and team VLAB looking strong. It’s gonna be fun to watch him mix it up with Roglic and Remco. 

• Like 1

Late to the party, thanks for the tag. 

Discovered almost by accident that my MAX subscription now carries the Eurosport coverage for (some of) the spring classics. How nice to watch Strade Bianche from the comfort of my own living room, rather than hunched over my computer watching a downloaded torrent. Between that and Peacock, I guess I guess we have them all covered this year - oddly enough perhaps the most complete TV coverage we've had for a while on mainstream channels (though I was never a GCN guy). 

What can you say about Tadej. I used to think he was a little too cocky, but his sportsmanship won me over. The guy loves to race. To call out he would attack when he did, and then do it while everyone was in misery in the hail and mud, phew. An 80k TT for the win. True panache with that one. Never dull to watch. 

Can't help but think about the showdown with Jonas eventually. While he's nowhere near as exciting to watch, the talent is undeniable. Both are able to ride in terrible conditions (see the wins in cold wet O Gran Camino) with damn fine bike handling as well, so we're past the staring-at-the-watt-meter boredom of past. 

Not sure Bora is up for the challenge in keeping Roglic in play. I think he's got a chip on his shoulder from being 'reigned in' at the Vuelta (though I'm not 100% sure he was able to challenge Sepp on those long steep climbs), so he's got something to prove. I get the move for him, but not sure Bora was the best choice - but where else could he go?

These helmets, though - oy: Spaceballs

10 hours ago, Txzen said:

Discovered almost by accident that my MAX subscription now carries the Eurosport coverage for (some of) the spring classics. How nice to watch Strade Bianche from the comfort of my own living room, rather than hunched over my computer watching a downloaded torrent. Between that and Peacock, I guess I guess we have them all covered this year - oddly enough perhaps the most complete TV coverage we've had for a while on mainstream channels (though I was never a GCN guy). 

Yeah, it's an improvement for most US viewers compared to normal. They don't have all the Eurosport racing, but it hits the high points anyway.

10 hours ago, Txzen said:

These helmets, though - oy: Spaceballs

For serious.

5 hours ago, G650 said:

Jorgensen looking stout @Horn Under a Bad Sign

Roglic pretty disappointing. Skjelmose has been pretty impressive though.

My man!  That was quite a stage. No fooling around!  If he doesn't win I'll blame the fact that they're changing tomorrow's course on account of the snow.  😃

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Phenomenal racing at Paris Nice today, but got damn that weather was nasty.

That was great racing. Matteo positioned himself well despite just not having a kick today. McNutty hanging on by a thread. Meanwhile in Tirreno, Jonas continued to do Jonas things and casually destroyed Ayusa and Hindley to fly away for another solo to the finish.  And those guys are great climbers and bike racers. He just decided to go. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

That was great racing. Matteo positioned himself well despite just not having a kick today. McNutty hanging on by a thread. Meanwhile in Tirreno, Jonas continued to do Jonas things and casually destroyed Ayusa and Hindley to fly away for another solo to the finish.  And those guys are great climbers and bike racers. He just decided to go. 

McNulty and Jorgenson at the top of Paris Nice?  USA! USA! USA!  

• Hook 'Em 1

After the Super Bowl my friends were like "oh, shit ... now we have the long dark tea-time of our souls with no sports of consequence until September."  I said "no so fast, my friends, I have the Tour de France, which takes up the month of July."  Then I started trying to convince them how they should watch and how it's a great break in the summer doldrums. But, no. They're not going to watch skinny ladyboys in tight pants ride bicycles. One of them said "you know how I know you're gay?  Not that there's anything wrong with that."  Another said "I was thinking I'd just dig up the corpse of Margaret Thatcher and have sex with it. That seems like it would be a lot more fun."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

After the Super Bowl my friends were like "oh, shit ... now we have the long dark tea-time of our souls with no sports of consequence until September."  I said "no so fast, my friends, I have the Tour de France, which takes up the month of July."  Then I started trying to convince them how they should watch and how it's a great break in the summer doldrums. But, no. They're not going to watch skinny ladyboys in tight pants ride bicycles. One of them said "you know how I know you're gay?  Not that there's anything wrong with that."  Another said "I was thinking I'd just dig up the corpse of Margaret Thatcher and have sex with it. That seems like it would be a lot more fun."

I wonder if I would have turned into one of those narrow minded dipshits if I didn’t grow up playing soccer and racing BMX (and later MTB) along with the other American team sports. I’ve lost count of the number of mind numbing conversations I’ve had about following cycling racing, with much of the opposition to it having to do with the apparel. “You actually want to watch a bunch of Euros with shaved legs in skin tight “spandex” ride their stupid bicycles?  I didn’t realize you were gay.”  Whatever. I have of sports to keep me entertained pretty much year round. It would be entertaining to see a rowdy bar full of fat, belligerent redneck cycling fans watching races and taking their shit about team and rider rivalries like they do with NASCAR and college football. 

• Like 1

Its funny because in Europe it was a very blue collar sport, and still is in a lot of ways.

I tool some hilarious screen caps from the fans at the World's a few years ago.

20190808-190254.jpg

• Drool 1

On 3/2/2024 at 7:17 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

With 20k to go, this is looking like a great call!

McNutty blew up, and who figured Vlasov would be a bigger factor for Bora than Roglic? Interesting to see how this finishes. It’s known that Remco has no love for TVL, so let’s see how hard he tries to attack Jorgensen for the win.