2024 Pro Cycling Season

G650

Aight, we had some good uptick this past year, probably because of Sepp, but I though maybe do an annual cycling thread again could be fun. And we can get ready for the big one, Pog is doing the Giro Tour double. Can he pull it off??

What say y'all @Horn Dogg @Hornius Emeritus @Whitewater Horn @idigTexas @Txzen @Captain Ron @Jerry Callo

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

The Giro designed that course specifically to attract Pog.  No doubt he wins the Giro, the only question is whether he will wear himself out before the Tour again.  WVA was planning to ride for GC at the Giro, I’ll be he’s saying “oh shit.”

Can’t forget to mention Roglic to Bora, should make things fun!

• Hook 'Em 1

I was going to suggest that @Knoxtnhorn rename the old TdF thread so we could keep that rolling, but this works. 

To answer your question, yes, Pog can win the double, but I do not think he will.  Barring injury, I expect Visma/Vingegaard to again win the Tour.  I do like Pog for the Giro, but weird shit often happens in Italy, so we'll have to fuck around and find out.  It looks like Visma may give van Aert some leadership leash at the Giro, so that will be fun if it actually happens. 

I will be curious to see whether Bora improves enough to seriously support Roglič, and of course the same with Quick Step and Evenepoel.  There is more top end talent than ever.  It's a good time to be a cycling fan.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I like Pog’s program for next year and can’t wait to watch. He’s obviously capable of winning the Giro-Tour double, but I’m not ready to make a significant wager on that until we get to see how he looks in the Classics and get a better look at how the team changes affect the dynamic and hierarchy of the peloton. Lots of riders with big goals in 2024. I’m all the way in for all of it. LFG! 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I was going to suggest that @Knoxtnhorn rename the old TdF thread so we could keep that rolling, but this works. 

To answer your question, yes, Pog can win the double, but I do not think he will.  Barring injury, I expect Visma/Vingegaard to again win the Tour.  I do like Pog for the Giro, but weird shit often happens in Italy, so we'll have to fuck around and find out.  It looks like Visma may give van Aert some leadership leash at the Giro, so that will be fun if it actually happens. 

I will be curious to see whether Bora improves enough to seriously support Roglič, and of course the same with Quick Step and Evenepoel.  There is more top end talent than ever.  It's a good time to be a cycling fan.  

I was hoping Cian Uijterbrooks would stick around to support Roglic, but “Visma Lease a Bike” had other ideas.

2 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Love them or hate them, you have to admire how they manage their team.  

Yeah, the combination of Roglic and Uijterbrooks transfers were brilliant for Visma.  They basically got paid to unload a 34 year old GC guy that wasn’t going to win the tour for them and took a 20 year old GC guy who can hang with the best.

9 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

This likely belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but I like Jonas.  His style isn't as flashy as the other top riders, and neither is his personality, but I'm wired the same way, so I can identify with him.  

It’s less my dislike for him and more the fact I’m a huge fan of Pogacar.  I also am not excited about the idea of another Froome/Sky era.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

The Giro designed that course specifically to attract Pog.

100%. I'm here for it

11 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

This likely belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but I like Jonas.  His style isn't as flashy as the other top riders, and neither is his personality, but I'm wired the same way, so I can identify with him.  

I love Jonas, good dude. I also happen to love Pog. Usually I lean Jonas, but fuck if Pogi can do the double I'm all in

We get the added bonus of the Olympics this year.  I heard MVDP saying he’s probably going to either skip the tour or drop early to focus on Olympics (multi discipline).  Remco will be ripping shit up in 2024 as well.  Quintana back to Movistar, who knows what will happen there but will be fun to watch.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, G650 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about this lol. Hope they do another Netflix special

If Valverde is still on staff those two can fight for the camera.  Even better if they can get Superman Lopez to make a guest appearance. Enric Mas would provide some good WTF’s on the side.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Thanks for the head's up.  I need to do a better job of following.  After moving from cycling heaven (East TN), I've lost a lot of my cycling desire due to the fact that there's nowhere to bike in this God forsaken place (DFW) unless you're in to mountain biking.  I'm tepid on mountain biking.  I'd rather road.

Anyway, I watched the first 5 or so stages of La Vuelta, then forgot about it.  Found out a couple of months later that Kuss had won.  Went back and watched the rest.

• Rage+1 1

UAE announced that Pogacar, Yates, Ayuso and Almeida are going to the tour.  That combined with the Giro tells me that they don’t think Pogacar can beat Jonas at the tour this year. That’s a lot of GC ego on one team, I guess they fill out the roster with Nils Pollit and Pavel Sivakov (those two are huge, like our interior DL).  Maybe McNulty gets the last spot or some other rouller?  Hopefully not Soler.

Haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet, but apparently today's cross was pretty spicy, MVdP apparently spit on some fans who threw beer and piss on him lol.

I did watch start, Pidcock wrecked and broke his rear mech amd had to jog his bike all the way to the pits. Apparently Wout wrecked too, then had a flat next lap.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Holy shit is right. That link is pretty thin on details. It says “dangerous driving,” but doesn’t indicate whether they suspect deliberate intent or terrible accident. 

The rumor is she was holding onto the car while he was driving like a party trick, and fell under. Just hearsay at the moment though

On 12/31/2023 at 12:02 PM, G650 said:

The rumor is she was holding onto the car while he was driving like a party trick, and fell under. Just hearsay at the moment though

So apparently this isn't the case, she was on the hood of the car for some reason.

4 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Where is the best place to watch these races?

The cyclocross racing or the whole calendar?

28 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Calendar. TDF is easy. I’d like to watch more of the other races.

GCN+ was a good option in the States but they shuttered it unfortunately. Personally, I use Eurosport, it's like 35 bucks a year. You will need to use a VPN though, so don't know how much tolerance you have for that. They carry basically every race on the planet though.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 11:02 AM, G650 said:

I knew Rohan was crazy, but this is next level shit.  

8 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I knew Rohan was crazy, but this is next level shit.  

Yeah, with his history, it really makes it look bad. I'm sure it's all gonna be pored over to the nth degree.

On 1/1/2024 at 7:40 PM, Goofyboy said:

Calendar. TDF is easy. I’d like to watch more of the other races.

So this is pretty much an annual question for US viewers, the r/peloton sub has a thread going currently with all the options, better than I could describe.

https://old.reddit.com/r/peloton/comments/18wxp81/whats_the_cheapest_way_to_stream_races_this_year/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...