Apple Watch for Fitness

I’m thinking about getting an Apple Watch, but I’m hesitating because I’m cheap.

How does your Apple Watch help you meet your fitness goals? Does it help you or does it just give you data that you don’t use? Does the pulse/ox matter to you? I think the ones on Amazon still have that feature (which can be taken away at any time with a software update).

I would be a big fat blob, that is always exhausted if not for mine.

Lost 30 pounds in the last 7 months. Also, the bloodox data while sleeping is what finally convinced me to do a sleep study and get diagnosed with apnea. 

This does not even mention all the other smart watch features that you get to go along with your iPhone. I don't have to pull my phone out of my pocket for 80% of the notifications I get.

Buy an old stock model. Buy Refurb. Buy used if you are cheap.

Edited by UnivTex34

They’re awesome! I wasn’t expecting much out of mine but it tracks all the metrics I keep track of and dozens I don’t. After only about six months I consider it a necessary part of keeping fit. Only downside I’ve seen is some of the metrics are crap. The default heart rate zones aren’t accurate and differential heart beat is off, just off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, luke duke said:

I’m thinking about getting an Apple Watch, but I’m hesitating because I’m cheap.

How does your Apple Watch help you meet your fitness goals? Does it help you or does it just give you data that you don’t use? Does the pulse/ox matter to you? I think the ones on Amazon still have that feature (which can be taken away at any time with a software update).

Proud Of You Yes GIF

You dont need the latest model.

Get a refurb, older gen, or if you buy a new one, ge the SE model. Check with your cell phone carrier too, there may be generous deals for getting one if you get the model that has LTE capabilities. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1) Check with your Health Insurance.  A LOT of insurance companies will subsidize the watch purchase with some sort of stipend for meeting your activity goals.  Look there first as you may find out you can get an unreal deal.

2) If you are cheap, buy an older model, I think the 8 is where you get O2 sensing.

I love mine.  Only thing I wish was that it would stay charged for a week.  But it's awesome for fitness, but only if you give a shit.  You can also share data, so you can "compete" with family and friends if that appeals to you and motivates you.   I guess the best way it helps you achieve fitness goals is by giving you more data to evaluate your training recovery.  The only thing that makes you more fit is recovery.  If you don't get enough rest, good diet and hydration that will show up in AM resting heart rate for example.

It really depends on how much you want it to help with your fitness goals?  If you need someone to say, "get off your ass!" It is wonderful at that!  But the heart rate and sleep data are probably the best tools from an evaluation of progress and training planning.  But for you it may just be gradually raising your goals, and having the watch prompt you to complete them daily.

• Hook 'Em 1

I got the first one that came out and replace them every other year.  Problem with an older model watch is battery life.  After about a a year it declines slightly but noticeably.  I wear mine for exercise during the day and to get sleep metrics at night, remembering to charge more often is a pain.  

I use the hell out of mine for motivation. I have a 1619 day move steak through subzero ice, 110° sun, or whatever else Texas has to offer. 

I’m to the point where I don’t need the motivation 90% of time, but that 10% when I wake up knowing it’s cold and hearing it rain, or whatever, has me to the point where some minutes of suboptimal conditions or desire is less of a mental whip than living with not getting out there and doing what I should. 

• Hook 'Em 1