How do you tell if it's brake booster or master cylinder?

I have a friend, who's brakes went out. Meaning the pedal is to the floor, has to be stomped on to get it to stop.
I should be able to fix it, but not sure which part it is. I've never had this one before.

Edited by TXLNGHRN10

5 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

I have a friend, who's brakes went out. Meaning the pedal is too the floor, has to be stomped on to get it to stop.
I should be able to fix it, but not sure which part it is. I've never had this one before.

Are the bowls in the master cylinder full or low/ empty ?

22 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Usually you will see brake fluid leaking out of the brake cylinders or master cylinder if the seals in them have failed.  If not then, it likely is air in the lines which would require a simple bleeding.  

Air in the lines makes the brake pedal squishy, not hard though.

1 minute ago, Ten Bears said:

I missed that part.   If the brakes work but the pedal is hard to push then, yeah, sounds like the booster.

Never worked on a car with a booster.   I'd guess it's either the plunger rod or a vacuum hose could have come loose causing a pressure issue ??

It's a 2012 Mercedes c250
turns out there is a vacuum pump on the rear of the motor that supplies the vacuum to the booster, that went out.

I replaced the booster and bled the brakes, still a hard pedal, went through the hoses and found there's no suction. So I'll be replacing that this weekend