Billy Joel live at MSG on CBS tonight

Gil Bang

I've told this before . . . some of you unfortunate few may have missed it . . . first time I saw him was 1982 at the Erwin Center.  A guy I knew on my floor at Jester won tickets and his girlfriend had to work, so he asked I wanted to go.  "Eh, I don't really like him all that much, but OK."  Those seats were very close up on the floor, and Billy killed it.  Just hit after hit after hit.  I kept thinking "oh yeah, he wrote that one, too."

I've probably seen him 3-4 times since them.  An American legend.

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've told this before . . . some of you unfortunate few may have missed it . . . first time I saw him was 1982 at the Erwin Center.  A guy I knew on my floor at Jester won tickets and his girlfriend had to work, so he asked I wanted to go.  "Eh, I don't really like him all that much, but OK."  Those seats were very close up on the floor, and Billy killed it.  Just hit after hit after hit.  I kept thinking "oh yeah, he wrote that one, too."

I've probably seen him 3-4 times since them.  An American legend.

That's similar to when my friends took me to see Lionel Ritchie.   I knew the guy had hits, but I had no idea how many until I heard him play them one after another

7 minutes ago, miguelito said:

My mom and I were at the October 2015 MSG show where Steve Miller and John Mayer showed up. Mayer looked stoned, but killed it on "Crossroads."

I was at that show...but I was with South Austin's mom. 

Really weird transition from "You May Be Wrong" to "Rock 'n Roll".  No fault of the singer, but the grooves of each song don't match.  The Zep song should be much more frenetic.  Bad call.

Oh, I love Sting.  The Police would have never existed without him.  To say he was "propped up" is laughable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Really weird transition from "You May Be Wrong" to "Rock 'n Roll".  No fault of the singer, but the grooves of each song don't match.  The Zep song should be much more frenetic.  Bad call.

Oh, I love Sting.  The Police would have never existed without him.  To say he was "propped up" is laughable.

Perhaps you haven't noticed over the years, but I'm a bit of an asshole.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I DVR’d it but I’m sure it’s pretty much the same setlist I saw in 2014 and 2019, but I’ll still watch it. 

The Stevie Nicks/Sting/Rod Stewart pairings seem odd to me, nothing will compare to the Face2Face shows.

Edited by Underdog

9 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I DVR’d it but I’m sure it’s pretty much the same setlist I saw in 2014 and 2019, but I’ll still watch it. 

The Stevie Nicks/Sting/Rod Stewart pairings seem odd to me, nothing will compare to the Face2Face shows.

The show points out how many big artists will contact him to sit in if they're in NYC on the night of a show.  It's become a badge of honor.  I imagine Billy likes it because it's a change of pace.

I saw him at MSG in February and it was a blast (and definitely a dress rehearsal for this performance). But this CBS show is ten times more dynamic - lights, crowd, guests. I love Billy - going to his shows at MSG are less like going to see a band I can’t wait to see and more like seeing a killer Broadway show. Glad I got to see one of his last “residency” shows.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

The show points out how many big artists will contact him to sit in if they're in NYC on the night of a show.  It's become a badge of honor.  I imagine Billy likes it because it's a change of pace.

I was referring to more recent/current stadium shows with those artists, the special guests at MSG are neat although we didn’t get one back in 2014. 

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

I saw him at MSG in February and it was a blast (and definitely a dress rehearsal for this performance). But this CBS show is ten times more dynamic - lights, crowd, guests. I love Billy - going to his shows at MSG are less like going to see a band I can’t wait to see and more like seeing a killer Broadway show. Glad I got to see one of his last “residency” shows.

One big karaoke party with everyone singing along to every song, same goes for other established stars like Bruce, etc… 

• Hook 'Em 1