FSD v12.3

I want a separate thread for this apart from the Elon thread. If you're testing this I'd like your thoughts. 

I've been testing this,it handles most driving situations well but I've had to take over several times to avoid dangerous situations. 

1.) a puddle- There was a puddle 10 feet long the width of a lane.  It was in my lane, and about 30 yards from it FSD suddenly made the warning noise, braked, and reverted back to human driving.  Fortunately there were no other cars around so nothing happened.  But it didn't want to go through that puddle and didn't know to change lanes despite not having any cars around me for at least a hundred yards in either direction. Two hours later I was on the same road and approached the same puddle again on FSD and this time it didn't switch off but I cancelled it to go around the puddle at the last moment. 

2.) lane changes - I think there's a difference in FSD versions on the highway vs surface roads.  FSD does a great job on surface roads changing into the appropriate lanes* well before a turn.  On the highways it waits too long, especially when there's heavy traffic.  

3.) *for the most part - Last week on Parmer FSD tried changing lanes to the right in the middle of an intersection to pass a car.  Only problem was, the lane it tried to change me into was the shoulder.  

Questions:

1.) How does it handle stopped school buses on the opposite side of the road where there isn't an improved median?

2.) How does it handle emergency vehicles?  So far I haven't seen FSD change its behavior to yield to an emergency vehicle.  I haven't had one come up on me from behind thought.

With Elon lowering the price to $99 / month I'm wondering what the uptake will be.  It's impressive enough to think a 20% adaption rate is reasonable.  With a 40x or 50x multiple that'd be around $8 - 10 / sh. Curious what others are experiencing.

• Hook 'Em 1

I watched a few minutes of this dude testing 12.3 in Austin. It usually works, but when people check out and start fucking with their phones or rubbing one out, "usually" becomes problematic. I have zero faith everyone will be vigilant while using FSD. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2024 at 5:42 PM, Neonmoon said:

How are you notified if it doesn’t work? Do you retest things it misses to see if it learns?

You're notified by it doing something unsafe or not ideal. I don't mean it doesn't work in the sense that it shuts off, I mean it doesn't safely engage in driving. It has problems when lanes merge, at stops with more than 1 land each way, at stops where other traffic doesn't have to yield, and generally speaking it gets over to the correct lane for a turn/entrance/exit pretty late.  It also tends to take turns pretty slowly, which other drivers don't appreciate. 

Edited by Dahobbs

The thing that bothers me the most is it randomly changing lanes sharply during high way driving. It acts like it is trying to avoid an obstacle, but there is nothing there. I don't 100% know what it is trying to do, as I generally stop it when it starts to engage in this maneuver. 

I’m ready for my trial to be over. One of the best things about an EV is regenerative braking/one pedal driving.  And yet FSD always uses the conventional brakes. It accelerates from a stop too fast and stops too harshly…with the brakes. The random lane changes on the highways, from the right lane to the left (fast) lane when no cars are around is annoying as fuck.  And then on the highway when approaching slower traffic, it doesn’t switch lanes but just slows down. It’s nothing more than a novelty/party trick at this point.  Amazing that people have paid $12k or $15k for this. It will probably get there some day, but it has a long way to go. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2024 at 5:36 AM, cabowabo said:

The random lane changes on the highways, from the right lane to the left (fast) lane when no cars are around is annoying as fuck.  And then on the highway when approaching slower traffic, it doesn’t switch lanes but just slows down. 

The neural net was trained on Dallas drivers. 

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2024 at 5:36 PM, Dahobbs said:

I've played with it out of curiosity during the trial. It technically works. But you can't trust it all, so it doesn't work. Interesting tech demo; stupid thing to push publicly. 

it's pretty great in traffic on 35, 360, or parmer.  handles those situations marvelously.  not impressed with its ability to handle intersections when turning right on red and stop signs.  why does it need to stop so far back and then slowly inch forward?  i just hit the accelerator.  there are also intersections with right turn only lanes where FSD will try to change me into that lane even though i'm going straight through.

musk is obviously trying to generate FSD revenue.  the uptake rate was 19% before the trial month.  slashing to $100/mo or $12k one time with transferable rights will get more people to bite. i think they can get to 30% relatively easily.  add in the chinese approval last night of FSD and i wouldn't bet against them.  sure it's not completely autonomous but it's a whole lot better than anything else out there right now.  

On 4/15/2024 at 5:42 PM, Neonmoon said:

How are you notified if it doesn’t work? Do you retest things it misses to see if it learns?

i've retested situations-  some of them it learns (slowing down before dips or speed bumps) and some it doesn't (trying to go straight in a right turn lane).  

the notification system is jarringly inept.  the screen starts flashing and an audible beeping (not unlike a cockpit emergency beeping) notifies you to take over.  i don't know if it'd be sufficient for someone not paying attention to the situation but FSD stops working if 1.) you fail to apply pressure to the steering wheel every 30 seconds or so and 2.)  you look away from the road for more than ~8 seconds at a time.  the third time it shuts down due to one of these conditions FSD is deactivated.  

7 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

it's pretty great in traffic on 35, 360, or parmer.  handles those situations marvelously.  not impressed with its ability to handle intersections when turning right on red and stop signs.  why does it need to stop so far back and then slowly inch forward?  i just hit the accelerator.  there are also intersections with right turn only lanes where FSD will try to change me into that lane even though i'm going straight through.

musk is obviously trying to generate FSD revenue.  the uptake rate was 19% before the trial month.  slashing to $100/mo or $12k one time with transferable rights will get more people to bite. i think they can get to 30% relatively easily.  add in the chinese approval last night of FSD and i wouldn't bet against them.  sure it's not completely autonomous but it's a whole lot better than anything else out there right now.  

i've retested situations-  some of them it learns (slowing down before dips or speed bumps) and some it doesn't (trying to go straight in a right turn lane).  

the notification system is jarringly inept.  the screen starts flashing and an audible beeping (not unlike a cockpit emergency beeping) notifies you to take over.  i don't know if it'd be sufficient for someone not paying attention to the situation but FSD stops working if 1.) you fail to apply pressure to the steering wheel every 30 seconds or so and 2.)  you look away from the road for more than ~8 seconds at a time.  the third time it shuts down due to one of these conditions FSD is deactivated.  

The problem is that for highway driving, the thing it is best at is essentially just normal autopilot, traffic aware cruise control with lane keep. But it is still bad with lane merges and construction. It moves over far too late for exits, often waiting until the very last minute. And it it just changes lanes too much in general (even when I select the option to minimize lane changes for the current trip). I actually find it worse than normal autopilot because of all the lane changes. I'd rather it only change lanes when I signal rather than just electing to do it on its own. Since there is no real competition for what it does, it technically does it best. But it just isn't useful and frankly isn't safe. Frankly, the thing I'm impressed most with is the new visualizations that give me a better idea of what the car is seeing. It is a really impressive tech demo with some genuinely interesting capabilities. But it isn't fully baked. And frankly, given Elon's approach, may never be. 

Edited by Dahobbs

58 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The problem is that for highway driving, the thing it is best at is essentially just normal autopilot, traffic aware cruise control with lane keep. But it is still bad with lane merges and construction. It moves over far too late for exits, often waiting until the very last minute. And it it just changes lanes too much in general (even when I select the option to minimize lane changes for the current trip). I actually find it worse than normal autopilot because of all the lane changes. I'd rather it only change lanes when I signal rather than just electing to do it on its own. Since there is no real competition for what it does, it technically does it best. But it just isn't useful and frankly isn't safe. Frankly, the thing I'm impressed most with is the new visualizations that give me a better idea of what the car is seeing. It is a really impressive tech demo with some genuinely interesting capabilities. But it isn't fully baked. And frankly, given Elon's approach, may never be. 

yeah it has a lot of trouble with the construction on 35 between braker and 45 and finding the appropriate lanes.  i did have one instance in a busier neighborhood where traffic was completely coned off in the direction i was going (they were installing a new sewer drain in the middle of the road) and there was a construction worker with the handheld sign telling you to stop or go due to traffic for both directions whittled down to one lane only on the left side of the road and FSD was able to handle waiting and then navigating into the "wrong" lane and back into the correct lane.  that was impressive.

what level is your FSD set to?  i have it on chill and i feel it doesn't change lanes enough.  my wife has it on average and she also gets frustrated with the lack of lane changes.  

i love the spatial visualization they rolled out a few months ago.  it was a pleasant surprise being able to have almost a birds eye view of which spaces are occupied in parking lots.  i still can't figure out how they're seeing ("seeing" maybe?) around corners i don't have an angle to.  

55 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i love the spatial visualization they rolled out a few months ago.  it was a pleasant surprise being able to have almost a birds eye view of which spaces are occupied in parking lots.  i still can't figure out how they're seeing ("seeing" maybe?) around corners i don't have an angle to.  

I recently got another muskmobile and thought I would lament missing the ultrasonic sensors…but the 3d park assist is badass. And gained matrix lights in the process.