Robert Redford retires from acting

Mapache

When it comes to re-watchable movies Redford is right there at the top with me.

Watched The Great Waldo Pepper for the umpteenth time last week. Damn good flick. Must have been awesome seeing those old biplanes floating around the Texas sky during the filming. The making of that flick is a pretty good read on its own.

On 8/10/2018 at 8:06 AM, South Austin said:

This probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but I always thought Redford was overrated.  He always seems relatively flat, without a great range of emotions or character.  I like him okay, but don't think he belongs anywhere near the pantheon of great actors.

I like Redford, too, and a JJ is one of my favorite movies of all time, and several of his others are first rate. But yours is a correct thought. He wasn't a great actor. He was a more talented and handsome version of Kevin Kostner. Not a great deal of range, but he could work very well in the right role where he hit just the right note.

20 hours ago, DougO said:

I like Redford, too, and a JJ is one of my favorite movies of all time, and several of his others are first rate. But yours is a correct thought. He wasn't a great actor. He was a more talented and handsome version of Kevin Kostner. Not a great deal of range, but he could work very well in the right role where he hit just the right note.

This is fair.  I don't hate Redford.  I just don't revere him, and I think his movies are far better than his acting. 

And I'm okay with the Costner comparison.  He was in some of my favorite movies:  Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Fandango.  But I'm not going to say he's a great actor.