Hawaii Main Island

Bevo

I have a meeting to attend in Honolulu and I was thinking about bringing the family. Off the cuff, I was thinking about staying at the Turtle Bay Resort and commuting to the convention center for 2 days and then just doing excursions.

I have only been to Maui and was wondering if 7 days on the Main Island would be a good trip for the family. It gets tiring and expensive traveling between the islands. Thus, the idea of just staying at one hotel for the entire week. Good idea or can you improve my itinerary?

Just FYI — it’s a long haul from Turtle Bay to downtown, especially at rush hour.  It will be over an hour even at off times.If you want out of downtown, check the Ko Olina resort area.  Plenty to do out there, and less travel time to downtown.

As for a week long trip, so long as they like the beach, there is plenty to do.  Add in Pearl Harbor (which with a tour of the Missouri will take all day) and a snorkeling boat trip one day, they will be able to fill in the time.  

Yeah- turtle bay is in the North Shore- would take forever to get to the convention center and back with the horrendous downtown traffic. My take on things (and this is just my opinion)- you should stay in the Waikiki area and drive to the many gorgeous beaches all over Oahu rather than pigeon-holing yourself on the North Shore. Check out Kailua/Lanikai, Hanauma Bay, Ko Olina, Sandy beach, Makaha in addition to all the good beaches at the North Shore. You’d be closer to great restaurants, Pearl Harbor and nice hikes like diamond head or pill boxes.

I didn’t suggest Waikiki only because (just my personal opinion) downtown Honolulu is a crowded, dirty shit show.

I am actually staying downtown Honolulu this week (on business) but would recommend Ko OLina if with the family.  Lanakai area is great as well, but not as much for kids to do. 

I stayed at Turtle Bay ten years ago and loved it. North Shore was cool and it was a good jumping off point for day trips from Kaena Point all the way to Kaneohe. But I will echo that it is not a convenient drive into Honolulu.

When is your trip? North Shore waves during the winter season is a sight to behold.

56 minutes ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

I stayed at Turtle Bay ten years ago and loved it. North Shore was cool and it was a good jumping off point for day trips from Kaena Point all the way to Kaneohe. But I will echo that it is not a convenient drive into Honolulu.

When is your trip? North Shore waves during the winter season is a sight to behold.

Mid to late October

• 3 years later...
28 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

There is a "Revealed" for the big island too.  Where are you staying?  I did 9 days at Waikoloa a couple of years back.

That book is awesome.   I used it for my trip to the Big Island last year.  On the Big Island I will be staying in Waikoloa, near Lava Lava Beach Club.  On Oahu I’ll be in Waikiki.   

Yeah, that's the same spot that I was at.   Condo with kitchen?   If so, there's a Costco between Waikoloa and the airport.  There's also a pretty decent supermarket right in Waikoloa with booze, fresh fish, meats and vegetables, etc. 

The fucking tater-tots at Lava Lava are sublime.   It's a great place to hang, particularly at sunset. 

Edited by Gil Bang

2 hours ago, Sundodger said:

Bumping this thread as I’ll be on Oahu for a few days before flying over to the Big Island.   I got the book “Oahu Revealed” which loaded with great tips, but would love other tips, especially in this COVID era.

These are Oahu recs. The U.S. military cemetery in the punchbowl is very cool. Plus the views are spectacular. Also in terms of military history, the Hawaii Army Museum in Waikiki is a really interesting museum. Visiting the sandbar in low tide in Kaneohe Bay is fun if you can find a tour. The Makapu'u lighthouse is a nice two mile RT walk and you could possibly see whales though they're more frequently around February to March. Close to the lighthouse is the Koko Head stairwell to the top of the crater. It's a pretty rigorous stair hike if you want a good workout. Diamond Head is a nice little stair hike to the top as well with great views. Hanauma bay, also close to the lighthouse, offers good snorkeling. You'd have to get a reservation online which I've learned has become fairly difficult. If you want some hiking recs in the Honolulu area let me know. 

11 minutes ago, mchookem said:

for a beach day you cannot beat Lanikai, top 10 beach in the world. super lowkey, it's just a park in the middle of a neighborhood...

20171207_132747.jpg

20171207_133338.jpg

The entire strip of beaches in that area is awesome. I was there for Thanksgiving, and one of the best days was spent hanging out at Waimea Bay Park jumping off a 30 foot rock into the ocean.

D5293533-8935-47D7-AF79-2F017F619C3A.jpeg

9491B2A8-6BAC-4319-8CFF-9F2D64B29E3D.jpeg

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 1:00 PM, Sundodger said:

That book is awesome.   I used it for my trip to the Big Island last year.  On the Big Island I will be staying in Waikoloa, near Lava Lava Beach Club.  On Oahu I’ll be in Waikiki.   

If you are staying in an air bnb or vrbo there is a good chance that the place has that book already there for you.  Happened twice to me. 

• 1 year later...

Should I plan anything other than the Arizona memorial in Oahu, or just chill at the beaches and on property? We have 3 days/2 nights at the Hilton Hawaiian Village with the lagoon. Kids are 13 and 10. I was going to book a helicopter and maybe the Kualoa Ranch ATV excursion but I'm kind of thinking why at this point. I don't think we're snorkel people as a disclaimer.