The 2010’s aren’t over, but this is the worst decade of Texas football

perfectchaos007

Good news is, if Herman is granted one more year and coaches the 2019 season, we will have a fresh coach chosen and approved by CDC, and a fresh start to the 2020’s. That decade will surely (surly?) be much better for Texas football because it can’t be much worse than the 2010s. I just hope CDC is already doing a preliminary search for a successor so we don’t have to pick someone last minute. Until then, I am emotionally checked out with the program 

1 minute ago, UTEX_ME said:

my fear is that we will never recover. We are the next Rice. Great academics and meh football.

I would not go this far. We can also dig ourselves out. Bama had a lot of down time and they got back. Rice has zero chance to ever do shit. But we are going on 10 years since being worth a damn and it sucks.,

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

I would not go this far. We can also dig ourselves out. Bama had a lot of down time and they got back. Rice has zero chance to ever do shit. But we are going on 10 years since being worth a damn and it sucks.,

I attended the game where our downfall began. Most people would point to colt McCoy going down in the champ game, but I attended our home game against UCLA that we lost in 2010. That loss was the beginning of the end for Mack Brown and the program.  I was depressed after that loss but  Didn’t think this slump would last an entire decade yet here we are. Dark times 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I attended the game where our downfall began. Most people would point to colt McCoy going down in the champ game, but I attended our home game against UCLA that we lost in 2010. That loss was the beginning of the end for Mack Brown and the program.  I was depressed after that loss but  Didn’t think this slump would last an entire decade yet here we are. Dark times 

This is the flashpoint of our program’s downfall. 2009 NC game was still hard fought by the horns and there wasn’t blundering abound like you see today. 

Trey Scott: Back? Texas never really went anywhere

It’s not Tom Herman’s fault that Texas was a preseason Top 25 team. It’s not Tom Herman’s fault that Mack Brown didn’t recruit Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III or Johnny Manziel or Baker Mayfield, or that Charlie Strong lost to Kansas and went 16-21 in three disastrous seasons in Austin. Fans have been frustrated since well before Herman took over.

But it is Tom Herman’s fault that the No. 23 Texas Longhorns lost to Maryland, 39-24, on Saturday, keeping Texas in the national consciousness only as a laughingstock; a preseason Top 25 team, sleeper Big 12 pick (made only by idiots like myself), a team forever doomed to be “BACK” in only the most sarcastic of senses; Texas was down 24-7, now it’s 24-22 … Texas is BACK!

Sure, Herman loved his team headed into this 2018 season. He didn’t shy away from expectations. He loved his staff, even the one that oversaw the nation’s No. 65 unit in 2017, to not make wholesale changes. Apparently Herman is handling more of the play-calling duties nowadays, but after what we saw at FedEx field, I doubt he’d want to share that burden.

Herman, a second-year coach, was on the verge of getting humiliated by a former offensive coordinator-turned-interim coach, with Texas staring at a stunning 24-7 deficit. Texas? Back. The Longhorns rallied before the half, thanks to a fortuitous Terrapins safety. But Todd Orlando’s defensive unit — fabulous in 2017 safe for that eerie opener against, yep, Maryland — couldn’t get enough stops in the second half, and the Herbeck offensive collaboration couldn’t muster anything after a long rain delay.

It wasn’t enough time to figure out that the same sideways junk that didn’t work last year and hadn’t worked in three quarters against the Terps wasn’t going to work in the fourth. Sophomore quarterback Sam Ehlinger threw an interception with six minutes to go in the fourth quarter. With the ball back and another chance, grad transfer Tre Watson coughed up a wet football. Yet another chance to score … and Ehlinger threw yet another interception. In a comforting way, it felt just like 2017.

All game, any offensive progress or momentum Texas was able to muster felt borne out of luck. All offseason to fix it. An offseason of hype, of dope video edits, of a recommitment by Texas boosters into the facilities. And the only clear progress, if that’s the word for it, is that a year ago Texas lost to Maryland by 10 and this season the Longhorns lost to ‘em by five. So, watch out world. For another year of jokes and memes, yes — Texas is certainly back.