Spray Foam

hrmaddie

I am considering having this done in the attic.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this done?  What kind of utility savings did you see?  Were you able to cool the house down easier?  Right now my a/c upstairs will run for two hours straight in the late afternoon just to keep it at 77.  I had the upstairs a/c serviced last week, freon, compressor, etc is good.  

I've gotten two bids, both are similar dollar amounts, but one company wants to spray the roof line, while the other wants to remove all of the current insulation and spray the bottom of the attic.  I kind of think spraying the roof line is the way to go, but wanted to get other thoughts.

5 minutes ago, hrmaddie said:

I am considering having this done in the attic.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this done?  What kind of utility savings did you see?  Were you able to cool the house down easier?  Right now my a/c upstairs will run for two hours straight in the late afternoon just to keep it at 77.  I had the upstairs a/c serviced last week, freon, compressor, etc is good.  

I've gotten two bids, both are similar dollar amounts, but one company wants to spray the roof line, while the other wants to remove all of the current insulation and spray the bottom of the attic.  I kind of think spraying the roof line is the way to go, but wanted to get other thoughts.

Insulating the roof is the superior method, and may be more expensive.  It does make it more difficult to detect roof leaks, so having your roof shingles checked as part of the project would be smart.

Two methods, open cell and closed cell. Talk to the installer, and have them explain the difference between the two systems

catpfish is right. there are issues with the size of your appliances and whether they need venting.  you may end up with an AC system that is oversized given the change in needs - meaning it may nto run long enough and cause issues with humidity in the home.  Be sure and consult with a HVAC company in conjunction with the insulation.

I will say that the difference in my new construction home was substantial when compared to the 5 year old home with blown in insulation.  

10 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Don't just spray foam the attic.  You're just going to trap moisture in an existing house. 

Improve your attic insulation as best you can through blown in fiberglass and make sure your venting is as good as it can be.  Consider a radiant barrier if you don't already have one.

Are you saying this because it's a retrofit ?

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Are you saying this because it's a retrofit ?

Yes.  You and I have discussed this before.  Whole house spray foam for new construction or down to the studs remodel.....go for it.  

House already built and just under the roof deck....bad idea.

Just now, deadshank said:

Yes.  You and I have discussed this before.  Whole house spray foam for new construction or down to the studs remodel.....go for it.  

House already built and just under the roof deck....bad idea.

Damn I don't remember what I said yesterday.

Did I say if you condition the attic with your HVAC system that would solve the moisture issue ??

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Damn I don't remember what I said yesterday.

Did I say if you condition the attic with your HVAC system that would solve the moisture issue ??

Don't recall.  But to condition the attic you'd have to spray the attick walls and top of the ceiling.  You'd be fine in the attic but then trap moisture in the living areas.  Breathing, sweating, faucets, showers, tubs, toilets, sinks, washing machines, dishwashers and the like all cause moisture that eventually goes up.  If that moisture gets trapped then problems ensue.  A lot of fresh air intakes and exhaust points would need to be installed.

The OP probably needs to make sure his traditional system is working correctly and keep his money in his pocket.

We have a full foam home (single story). It cost a lot, and honestly I’m not sure if I’d do it again. Open cell in walls and underside of the roof. Nice thing is that the attic is clean, all my pipes/wiring are accessible, and it’s cool up there during the summer. We were able to downsize the AC unit by 2 tons (single 4 Ton for ~2900sqft). House is tight and easy to control temp and humidity. Cons are Noise traveling from room to room via the attic and heating is a bitch during the winter, since all the heat seems go up to the attic.

I wouldn’t consider a retrofit. closed attics can have moisture issues unless done right. You’re not going to have a tight house if you have batt insulation in the walls and your plates/studs aren’t sealed. I’d just save your money and blow in more insulation and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

If you don't mind me asking, how big is that and how much did it cost?

the metal building is 40X60 and within the building is 20x40 living quarters--kitchen. living, bedroom, bath and laundry room. the 40x60 shell is 1 1/2 inch closed cell and within the framing of the apartment is 5 1/2 inches open cell.  $8000 is the cost

Edited by Errestaurants