Ask me anything about Agriculture

Parliament

57 minutes ago, happyfunball said:

Is now the time to sell farm land in central Texas? We have had an unprecedented run in value past years. We don’t use the land and thinking about selling. 

It is a couple hundred acres near outside Waco. 

Shoot me a PM.  I’m quite familiar with the Waco real estate market and know folks who’d help you out with it

10 hours ago, 3adays said:

Is the land and climate out in West Texas ideal for growing hemp? My family has a long history of farming cotton out there and we have an Uncle who says converting to hemp (once legal) will be the play. 

That's a good question.  I do not know.  Have they considered agave?

10 hours ago, 3adays said:

Is the land and climate out in West Texas ideal for growing hemp? My family has a long history of farming cotton out there and we have an Uncle who says converting to hemp (once legal) will be the play. 

Do they grow a lot of corn in the area?  I know there are parts of West Texas that grow a lot of corn, and my understanding was that if you can grow corn productively in an area, you can grow hemp productively.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Do they grow a lot of corn in the area?  I know there are parts of West Texas that grow a lot of corn, and my understanding was that if you can grow corn productively in an area, you can grow hemp productively.

Corn is grown a lot in North Central TX, but I wouldn't always call it productively.  

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Corn is grown a lot in North Central TX, but I wouldn't always call it productively.  

My quasi-educated guess is that there would be a correlation with hemp production.

Iowa grew a ton of hemp during the early 20th century, and the parts of the state that grew the most of it just so happen to be the areas with the highest Corn Suitability Rating for their soils.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My quasi-educated guess is that there would be a correlation with hemp production.

Iowa grew a ton of hemp during the early 20th century, and the parts of the state that grew the most of it just so happen to be the areas with the highest Corn Suitability Rating for their soils.

I mean, it makes sense.  You'd think if corn or sorghum grows there, hemp would do well too.  

22 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I want the 8-10 inch portion of stalks that don't get cut down.  About 1000 of them.  

Unlikely.  If you can find a wheat stubble field that hasn't been worked up, anything remaining on borders will be weathered down pretty well.  Wheat in TX is combined in Jun.

11 hours ago, 3adays said:

I did some googling, and it looks like hemp's water needs are not well known.  If this land us unirrigated, I'm gonna say it will not work.

On 10/8/2018 at 11:01 AM, Parliament said:

And I'll add world hunger is falling...

That is my understanding.  Some also argue world poverty, which correlates to hunger, may be overcome as early as 2030.  At least according to present day standards.  Now if we could only minimize the waste and maximize the food that is harvested/produced.

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

Unlikely.  If you can find a wheat stubble field that hasn't been worked up, anything remaining on borders will be weathered down pretty well.  Wheat in TX is combined in Jun.

I figured as much.  Guess I'll have to wait until the winter wheat harvest and get in touch with someone well ahead of time.  

54 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

That is my understanding.  Some also argue world poverty, which correlates to hunger, may be overcome as early as 2030.  At least according to present day standards.  Now if we could only minimize the waste and maximize the food that is harvested/produced.

Food waste has recently become a big focus by producers and sellers.

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've seen it growing wild on the Dismal river in NE.