Million Little Things

JimmyHoffa

• 3 months later...

I am. It's alright. It's not well written and is not well acted, but there's something charming or real or some bullshit in there that keeps me watching. Definitely not a profound, deep show that it really wants to be. Might also be because I'm around their age that keeps me tuned in. 

I don't think it gets better or worse really as the season goes. Just kinda know what you're going to get.  

11 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I am. It's alright. It's not well written and is not well acted, but there's something charming or real or some bullshit in there that keeps me watching. Definitely not a profound, deep show that it really wants to be. Might also be because I'm around their age that keeps me tuned in. 

I don't think it gets better or worse really as the season goes. Just kinda know what you're going to get.  

I agree as well. I think it's one of the best network dramas with is saying something with all it's faults and average acting. Just got picked up for a 2nd season so will be interesting to see what direction they take things. The assistant would get it as well. 

That is a good comparison, which makes me sad because I remember my parents watching that show and me thinking "what the fuck is this nonsense"? 

But really what makes me sad is that Gary (whatever his real name is) is pretty bad and I loved him and Guster on Psych. One of my favorite shows ever for a laugh. 

And I don't think cancer girl is sneaky hot, I think she just is, but petite blonde is kind of my wheelhouse. On the subject, John's wife really does it for me for some reason. 

• Like 1

I like the show.  Certainly some holes in the plot, but they do a good job of going back and providing some details while not spoon feeding too much.  Secretary/assistant is easy on the eyes, as is the wife.  Glad the 2nd season is guaranteed.

Biggest beating on the show is aging rocker guy, followed closely by his son.

I don't trust the major networks not to cancel hour long shows like this.   Sitcoms can come and go and you are rarely left with a cliffhanger.  You get invested in these shows and characters and then they yank the rug out from under you.  I went ahead and broke my rule for This Is Us and it looks like I'm safe on that one.   This one scared me off, so I'll let them get their footing and 3 or 4 seasons under their belt before I commit.  

So I'll check back in with you guys in 3 years and see if it's worth catching up on.  

3 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

That is a good comparison, which makes me sad because I remember my parents watching that show and me thinking "what the fuck is this nonsense"? 

But really what makes me sad is that Gary (whatever his real name is) is pretty bad and I loved him and Guster on Psych. One of my favorite shows ever for a laugh. 

And I don't think cancer girl is sneaky hot, I think she just is, but petite blonde is kind of my wheelhouse. On the subject, John's wife really does it for me for some reason. 

Couldn't agree more on Gary he over acts and the character in general is annoying as hell. 

And john's wife is a cup grade away from being perfect. 

Satisfaction-1-900x600_0.jpg?itok=D4eclF

5 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I don't trust the major networks not to cancel hour long shows like this.   Sitcoms can come and go and you are rarely left with a cliffhanger.  You get invested in these shows and characters and then they yank the rug out from under you.  I went ahead and broke my rule for This Is Us and it looks like I'm safe on that one.   This one scared me off, so I'll let them get their footing and 3 or 4 seasons under their belt before I commit.  

So I'll check back in with you guys in 3 years and see if it's worth catching up on.  

how are there cliffhangers on 'this is us' when they keep jumping around on the timeline?  oh no, the dad is dead??  nm, we're gonna go back some years on next week's flashback so it's all good lol.  i made it through almost one season of that crap and everyone i know who kept with it has quit since.

the wife watches this but i have no real interest in getting invested in these characters.

I don't know why but I started watching this back when it started and stuck with it.  It's almost interesting, almost good, but so over the top with everything.  The cancer guy with his acting/persona, but just the sheer number of things going on.  But I guess it's a primetime soap.

You know what one sneaky dumb thing about this how is?  This is a show that takes place in Boston starring a group of Boston people who are huge Bruins fans and live in Boston and nobody has an accent or ever talks about Boston at all.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

how are there cliffhangers on 'this is us' when they keep jumping around on the timeline?  oh no, the dad is dead??  nm, we're gonna go back some years on next week's flashback so it's all good lol.  i made it through almost one season of that crap and everyone i know who kept with it has quit since.

the wife watches this but i have no real interest in getting invested in these characters.

Cliffhangers is probably the wrong word.  Just getting invested in the characters and stories is probably more accurate.  We will just have to agree to disagree on TIU.  I think it's easily the best hour long show on one of the major networks.  Of course, that means it's better than 14 versions on NCIS and some reality shows.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Cliffhangers is probably the wrong word.  Just getting invested in the characters and stories is probably more accurate.  We will just have to agree to disagree on TIU.  I think it's easily the best hour long show on one of the major networks.  Of course, that means it's better than 14 versions on NCIS and some reality shows.  

it's definitely one of the worst stretches ever for broadcast network tv.  i can't think of one show that i look forward to every week.

cable and streaming are better, but have gotten to the point where the best shows are 10 episodes per season, and routinely take a year off in between seasons.  i think the last 2-3 years have very quietly been disappointing for television shows.  the results are masked by the sheer volume of options.  this is probably better served with its own thread.   

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

it's definitely one of the worst stretches ever for broadcast network tv.  i can't think of one show that i look forward to every week.

cable and streaming are better, but have gotten to the point where the best shows are 10 episodes per season, and routinely take a year off in between seasons.  i think the last 2-3 years have very quietly been disappointing for television shows.  the results are masked by the sheer volume of options.  this is probably better served with its own thread.   

This but you also answered your own question. A shit ton more outlets means talent and writing are stretched to the limits. Back when it was just the big 3 networks they only had room for really great stuff now everybody is trying to come up with something good and a lot of the networks are left with shit because cable and the streaming services give you so much more flexibility. 

Edited by JimmyHoffa

43 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

This but you also answered your own question. A shit ton more outlets means talent and writing are stretched to the limits. Back when it was just the big 3 networks they only had room for really great stuff now everybody is trying to come up with something good and a lot of the networks are left with shit because cable and the streaming services give you so much more flexibility. 

So the talented ones currently have projects in development and right now we are stuck with the B Team.  

49 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

yes and no.  there are also a ton more people getting into the business than ever before, including everyone formally working on the feature side.  i think you're right that the rigid schedule makes it tougher to produce great content for broadcast, but it's happened plenty of times in the past. 

even counting cable, premium cable, and streaming, there aren't many shows i'm excited about right now.  some are coming back soon, but have taken really long breaks.

you hear me talking, mindhunter?  where the fuck you been?