Big 12 TV ratings

joeycovers

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

This is the right answer. Thanks @FondrenRoad.

The difference between the biggest college game ratings wise and the 8th biggest on any given weekend is huge. The difference between the biggest and 8th biggest NFL game ratings wise is marginal. 

Well I wouldn't say it's marginal.  Last week the negative delta from 1st to 5th was around 10M viewers, which was about 40%fewer viewers from 1st to 5th.  But overall, the sentiment is correct.  There are just a lot more people watching the NFL on any given weekend.

And as NMAS points out, there's also a lot of people at Wal-Mart on any given weekend. :)

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Well I wouldn't say it's marginal.  Last week the negative delta from 1st to 5th was around 10M viewers, which was about 40%fewer viewers from 1st to 5th.  But overall, the sentiment is correct.  There are just a lot more people watching the NFL on any given weekend.

And as NMAS points out, there's also a lot of people at Wal-Mart on any given weekend. :)

Right - because SNF doesn't have any competition I would assume. If you took every game at 12pm or every game at 3:30pm and plotted them against each other I'm guessing they would be fairly similar. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Right - because SNF doesn't have any competition I would assume. If you took every game at 12pm or every game at 3:30pm and plotted them against each other I'm guessing they would be fairly similar. 

Yes indeed, I'd expect the same.  Aside from maybe a game with the Cowboys or some other top-draw team, which I'd expect to outdraw the competition in the same time slot.

I couldn't find an NFL link with ALL games listed, mostly because I didn't really look for one.  It's probably out there somewhere.

Yes indeed, I'd expect the same.  Aside from maybe a game with the Cowboys or some other top-draw team, which I'd expect to outdraw the competition in the same time slot.
I couldn't find an NFL link with ALL games listed, mostly because I didn't really look for one.  It's probably out there somewhere.
Especially the 12:00 games, right?

(It's because they're regional)

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Especially the 12:00 games, right?

(It's because they're regional)

Yes. Pretty sure everyone knows they're regional.  Even then, Dallas Cowboys pick up more "regional" than the Cincinnati Bengals do.  So if they're in the same time slot, the Cowboys are going to get better numbers.

(It's because they're more popular)

• 1 month later...

Not sure where else to put this.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2019/01/fox-rsns-disney-sale-big-12-nba-cfl/

Fox Sports has declined rights to the Big 12 football championship game in the upcoming season, 2021 and 2023, Sports Business Journal reported Monday. ESPN holds rights to the 2020, 2022 and 2024 games. ESPN is reportedly the favorite to pick up the odd-year rights; should it pass, the Big 12 would then take the rights to the open market. 

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So it's 2019....

Currently B12 has no agreement for TV Coverage for 2019 B12 Championship Game.....

giphy.gif

I have a theory:

ESPN & FOX, are maneuvering the brands that each has either long term leases with, or own majority interest in; as being most prominent conference champ games...
In doing so, this alleviates need at expanding CFP until after current 12 year duration ends, by "getting rid of competition" in high profile CCG's that may keep (i.e. tOSU) out...

imgur>

The twist, ESPN & FOX putting pressure on XII & PAC: align best brands (i.e. USC/Oklahoma/Texas), under one of those networks, increase visibility/revenues by mid-2020's...

While also ensuring higher probability: B1G - gaining invite to CFP *(current 2 year drought)/ ESPN - gaining invite for 2nd team ^[SEC] and/or access for ~[ACC & Notre Dame]...

Could one of FAANG companies look to "test the market" on XII conference championship game content, but how will that impact OU & UT in CFP selections..?
The market may have popped, as mentioned before, (traditional) networks not having an endless supply of cash, to "manufacture" rivalries as Nebraska-Illinois...
This also proves likelihood of  PAC selling a % of network to a "willing" bidder is unlikely, as content can be had to place in a better "package" in the mid-2020's...

The major networks will not be willing to pay B1G (14)/ SEC (14)/ XII (10)/ PAC (12), 50 teams P5 revenues; as pay networks continue to lose subscribers, the only league that may be immune to not losing revenue in next contract w/o adding: SEC...

Edited by kopp0e

The Big 12 wants $20m for the TV rights to its stupid conference championship game. FOX is basically saying, "our best case scenario is a TX-OU rematch, and in two of the three years you've had this stupid game, the program with 70% of the conference's TV sets in its state didn't make it. Pass". 

I know people want to say ZOMG CATASTROPHE!!!!! on the Internet, in response to everything, because we have to behave ourselves in all of the other aspects of our life, but this shouldn't surprise anyone. In terms of national interest and therefore marketability, the Big 12 is mostly Texas and partly Oklahoma. If the TV networks cut Division I to 32 teams, those are the only programs from this conference that would be included. 

This is a two-team conference in terms of what TV networks are willing to pay for and casual fans want to watch. It has less than a decade to live. If you don't like realignment talk, you should probably prepare to fuck off to the NFL, because we are about to be front and center.