School me on drones

Sbbruin

I really want to get one to get aerial footage on the water.  The cheap ones are just too limited. I don't need the multi-thousand dollar type.  And I don't want to have to spend dozens of hours learning how to use it.  Basic requirements:

- auto take-off and return

- waterproof

- hovers without needing to be constantly controlled

- has the "follow-me" feature

- $500 or less possibly?

Any droneheads have ideas?

On 10/29/2018 at 5:18 PM, Sbbruin said:

I saw that in their latest ad, but I would like someone with experience to weigh in.  I don't want to launch it at sea only to have it fly away forever.

Well, it wouldn’t fly away forever. Eventually it would die and sink.

Anywho, there was a drone thread on that other forum, and I seem to recall that the consensus opinion about the model that Costco sells for about $1000 was it is good. I’ve wanted a drone for a while, but I can never figure out what the heck I would use it for, other than to annoy people. Like last year I hiked up Mt. Elbert (tallest in Colorado, thank you very much) and at the summit there’s this guy flying a freaking loud buzzing drone.

I have a DJI Mavic Pro and fly it for work very often. It has all the features above, but it is not waterproof. Cost is around $1k-$1200 for the new version  

Its little brother, the Spark, also meets your criteria, but is not waterproof as far as I know. Cost is around $500.

They are quality drones, and have a ton of compatible third party apps and accessories because DJI is a top brand for consumer drones. 

Edited by jofus

• 2 months later...

A few weeks ago I purchased the DJI Spark at Sams Club for $399 and it came with 2 batteries and the controller.  The downside is that it requires the batteries to be plugged in to the Spark for charging.  So, I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07868BTK5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a GREAT addition, you charge the base and can take it in to the field with you.  I would guess it is good for about 10 total charges.  Also has a standard USB port for charging the controller, your phone, etc. 

My first video at my duck lease, sorry for it jumping around a little.  I have learned a bit more and modes to make it not do this (I was in Sport Mode).

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

A few weeks ago I purchased the DJI Spark at Sams Club for $399 and it came with 2 batteries and the controller.  The downside is that it requires the batteries to be plugged in to the Spark for charging.  So, I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07868BTK5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a GREAT addition, you charge the base and can take it in to the field with you.  I would guess it is good for about 10 total charges.  Also has a standard USB port for charging the controller, your phone, etc. 

My first video at my duck lease, sorry for it jumping around a little.  I have learned a bit more and modes to make it not do this (I was in Sport Mode).

Saw some poachers on your video!  You need a gun mount on your drone to scare 'em away.  LOL

• Like 1