Paolo Macchiarini - Fraudulent Surgeon

Kyle

I had never heard of this story, but it is pretty crazy. It popped up on this podcast, True Crime Brewery. Basically a surgeon is a con man who cons world renowned scientists, NBC News, and several women, including a "documentary" filmmaker. Guy faked his resume, got into possibly the world's most exclusive medical institute, and butchered a bunch of poor people with fraudulent, phony surgeries. Lots of layers in the story, and it is a good illustration of how even those ostensible sophisticated scientists and journalists can easily be duped. Sounds like common sense checks and balances broke down, illustrating that even the most reputable institutions fall to the same temptations and weaknesses that befell us all.

Maybe I'm the only guy that missed this story, but I was surprised being how crazy it was it did not make more national news - part of that is apparently NBC has tried to whitewash its news and "documentary" endorsements.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody listen to "Doctor Death" about the fake neurosurgeon in Dallas who paralyzed his friend, killed at least one woman, and maimed many others? It is both frightening and amazing the guy could 1) graduate from medical school and 2) get away with so much carnage for so long.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Anybody listen to "Doctor Death" about the fake neurosurgeon in Dallas who paralyzed his friend, killed at least one woman, and maimed many others? It is both frightening and amazing the guy could 1) graduate from medical school and 2) get away with so much carnage for so long.

I did.  Scary how he was able to pass through the system and around to various hospitals.

I told my wife that the various hospitals took a page from the Catholic church.....take no real action to stop the medical abuse....just ship him off to some other facility and let them deal with it.

57 minutes ago, YChang said:

Why?

Nothing about being a psychopath means you’re less intelligent or hard working than other people in the population.

According to one neurosurgeon quoted in the podcast, most residents would have been expected to have performed 3,000 surgeries ... this guy apparently did not break 100 before graduation. Psychopath notwithstanding, I think they guy generally did not know how to perform surgery, according to the podcast.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

According to one neurosurgeon quoted in the podcast, most residents would have been expected to have performed 3,000 surgeries ... this guy apparently did not break 100 before graduation. Psychopath notwithstanding, I think they guy generally did not know how to perform surgery, according to the podcast.

Ah gotcha... mea culpa didn't listen to the podcast... misunderstood your question!

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

see, thing is: he wasn't a fake Neurosurgeon

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Fair enough ... which might be the most frightening part of all. I think I might have felt better if he was a fake neurosurgeon. :)

Wouldn't have been much worse...... someone growing up with that magnetic/buzzer Operation game a couple season's of ER and St. Elsewhere would have been about as competent.....even though he had skin on the wall.