Skipping first leg of a 2-leg flight

jimmyjazz

I assume this is not allowed, but is it possible to jump onto the 2nd leg of a 2-leg airline itinerary?

Not quite short story:  my wife and kids were booked Austin -> DFW -> DC (Reagan) for this morning but American Airlines canceled the first leg.  I had enough warning last night to switch them to a different route through Charlotte.  However, ABIA was a complete clusterfuck at 3:30 AM this morning, and they couldn't deal with the new reservation in time to get them on that flight.  Nothing else was available today or tomorrow.  I got AA to book them tomorrow from San Antonio to DFW to DC, and we just got word that the first leg of THAT route is delayed to the point where there's no way they'll make their connection in Dallas.

Why can't I just drive them to DFW to jump on leg #2?  They have reservations, they're checked in, and they have boarding passes.  I've been trying to call AA customer service and they are completely slammed and not accepting calls, and not even doing the "leave your number and we'll call you back" thing.

Realistically, I imagine that flight from DFW to Dulles tomorrow is probably going to get delayed or cancelled, but I'd at least like to take a shot.  Bad idea? 

I'm sure IF you can get through they'll gladly change things for you.  Couple of options you might try - send a DM through twitter.  They're usually very responsive and can take care of stuff like this.  Also try 800-446-7834.  Its a number they sometimes put into service during overloaded call center volume.  Lastly, if that doesn't wok, try SKYPE and call one of their international reservation centers (e.g. Australia, NZ, Hong Kong etc...)  I've done this to book award travel that US call centers couldn't see so they might be able to cancel out the first flight for you.  Good luck.  Here is a link to overseas call centers:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/contact-american/reservations-and-ticket-changes.jsp

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Is this residual clusterfuck from the storms last night?

The original cancellation was allegedly due to the storms, but this morning's clusterfuck was surely due to the plane that was diverted to Austin after hitting turbulence which led to a few injuries.  I don't know why they're now delaying SAT-DFW, other than maybe just a ripple effect because of bad weather in the midwest.

34 minutes ago, Bevo in VA said:

I'm sure IF you can get through they'll gladly change things for you.  Couple of options you might try - send a DM through twitter.  They're usually very responsive and can take care of stuff like this.  Also try 800-446-7834.  Its a number they sometimes put into service during overloaded call center volume.  Lastly, if that doesn't wok, try SKYPE and call one of their international reservation centers (e.g. Australia, NZ, Hong Kong etc...)  I've done this to book award travel that US call centers couldn't see so they might be able to cancel out the first flight for you.  Good luck.  Here is a link to overseas call centers:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/contact-american/reservations-and-ticket-changes.jsp

Wow, thanks.  I finally got on the "we'll call you in over 2 hours list" but I'll try some of your other methods in the meantime.